[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Antonio Gates

49erAddict-08

Give me a RB2 or a WR1 in Round 3 with fewer question marks.

Well... that's what we are saying.

If by the 3rd round you don't have a RB2 or WR1 it means that you wasted your 2nd round on a QB; therefore, forcing you into your situation.

On the other hand, if you already have RB1, RB2 and all Tier 1 WR are gone, in a 12 team PPR League, Gates is more likely to outperform a Tier 2 WR (Which by the way would be your WR1).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on how your league scores. In our league, a TE gets 6pts for a TD, points for yardage (1pt 30 yards, 3pts 50yds and 1pt for every 25yds after that) and points for catches (1pt for 3-5 catches, 3pts for 6 or more). With that in mind, Gates is a GOD in our league! I drafted him as a rookie and he has paid dividends every week! Compare him to the top tier WR's and he is a ;ate 3rd round or early 4th Round pick.

I agree that it all depends on your scoring. I am in a PPR league where TEs get 1 point for every 5 yards receiving. Gates was the 7th highest scoring player in the league last year and led me to the championship. I picked him in the 3rd (3.8) last year. That won't happen again this year. I am picking tenth and may have to snag him with my 2.3. If he is still there.

Edited by lkirc

I'm in a ten team keeper league and got Gates two years ago in the 16th :D , last year in the 4th, and if I can get him in the 3rd this year it will be a friggin' miracle. It is a PPR mandatory TE league but he's as good as a tier 1/2 WR.

I've been in 2 drafts since this post and suprise.....I took Gates in both. :D

In a BOTH league with 16 teams I took Gates at 2.14 which equals a 3.6 pick in a twelve team league.

In my 12 team local tonight I took him at 4.4

I guess I'll find out how this works out.

I took Gates at 3.6 in a 12, giving up a shot at RWayne, HWard or DDavis/WParker ... ending up with:

Portis

McGahee

Gates

Hasselbeck

DDriver

DMason

Chicago

DBennett

Burress was the only WR I missed by taking MHass in 4 (top 2 teir wrs went wicked fast in this draft) ... What it amounts to, is Gates has to compete with other teams' WR1 (bumping DDriver to a WR2 and DMason to a WR3) and my actual WR3 (DBennett) has to compete with other teams' TE ... :D I can live with that, but I'd be happier if I could have snagged someone just a bit stronger at WR.

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

• 2 weeks later...

In my 12 team local this evening, I took Gates in the second round with the 17th selection overall. We are a mandatory TE league and yardage bonus kicks in for TE's at 50 yards vs. 80 yards for WR. Gates hit the yardage mark in 11 of his 15 games last year and 10 of 15 in 2004. With standard performance scoring, I see Gates as a 3rd round pick.