[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commish advice requested

theeohiostate

Thanks Hardrocker. It matters not to me who gets Bell. Chances are he won't even be starting. I was just trying to make a point that everyone has the same capabilities as me on searching for players and it is not my fault that I knew how to do it but yet noone else knew. I am not pissed at the commish at all, but I do feel like it is being handled wrong the way he is putting Bell on the waiver wire. No doubt if Bell ends up starting everyone will throw their first game to be able to pick him up on waivers. NOW another can of worms is opened.

More good points...which is why Bell should be with Team 1 or Team 2 not held for everyone...

Let's be honest, if Mike Shananigan would just handle RB like everyone else, clearly NONE of this would have happend. :D

But if Bell should somehow turn into this year's 1300 yd runner for Denver, this is gonna be a sore spot for people in your league all year.

Team one should have him...even though team 2 has a valid claim....

To fix the issue before it goes further....

Team 1 or Team 2 can back off and allow the other team to take Bell, OR both parties can flip a coin to see who gets him and then move on...

Of course everyone in the league is gonna make sure NEITHER of you guys get Ron Dayne or Tatem Bell.

Still...

Good luck

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Hardrocker. It matters not to me who gets Bell. Chances are he won't even be starting. I was just trying to make a point that everyone has the same capabilities as me on searching for players and it is not my fault that I knew how to do it but yet noone else knew. I am not pissed at the commish at all, but I do feel like it is being handled wrong the way he is putting Bell on the waiver wire. No doubt if Bell ends up starting everyone will throw their first game to be able to pick him up on waivers. NOW another can of worms is opened.

You hit the nail to this argument right on the head. There should have been nothing done to you to punish you for knowing where to look...everyone else had the same resources as you. The argument that "another coach called and wanted him first" is almost irrelevant, unless it is certain that NO ONE looked for Bell before him! And it sounds like from theohiostate's response earlier that several coaches looked, but couldn't find him.

Further, he should not be put back into the waiver pool to potentially help some clueless coach who probably to this point has no idea who Bell is! You wanted him (like apparently many coaches did), you looked many places others did not, and found him. Nice work....he should have been yours, and kudos to you for handling it better than most would :D

Why? Because he called the commish and verbalaized it to him?

What if the coach who selected right before Team One calls tonight and says "I also wanted him, but looked and couldn't find him" Are they now included in the mix? Or should they be overlooked because they didn't call the commish and ask him for help?

All of these unknowns and potential issues are the exact reason the problem should have been left alone in the first place....many teams (not just Team One) looked, Team 2 found him, and Team 2 should have him.

Why? Because he called the commish and verbalaized it to him?

What if the coach who selected right before Team One calls tonight and says "I also wanted him, but looked and couldn't find him" Are they now included in the mix? Or should they be overlooked because they didn't call the commish and ask him for help?

All of these unknowns and potential issues are the exact reason the problem should have been left alone in the first place....many teams (not just Team One) looked, Team 2 found him, and Team 2 should have him.

I do NOT disagree with you Swami...and I am not involved with any team here. However, if I read correctly, Team 1 asked the Commish, to look and the Commish did look and missed it....Now whether he should have or not is another question, BUT, if I offer a question to the Commish and he takes it and gives me an incorrect answer, I'm gonna have a prob.

We can debate what the Commish should have done, or we can look for fair ways to solve this and hopefully in a fashion that keeps this from being a season souring event.

Your arguement for Team 2 is as valid....but the answer to your original question.

Why? Because he called the commish and verbalaized it to him? IMHO Yes, if he called the Commish, if he called his buddy, no.

Very interesting thread and even more interesting are the most recent posts.

I have been commish for a leauge for quite some time now and I know too that situations can get messy very fast. I agree with Hardrockers in the sense that if I am asked a question/favor and I offer to answer it or do it, it should be right. If it isn't, then I (note, I) made the mistake and the other person shouldn't be penalized. What happened after is not the point. I screwed up and need to fix it and answer the situation properly. If someone asked me to look for a player and I took that upon myself to do so and said he isn't there when he clearly is, then that is my mistake. Maybe I shouldn't have taken that job, that is a different argument. But once again, I screwed up.

if I offer a question to the Commish and he takes it and gives me an incorrect answer, I'm gonna have a prob.

I would too have a problem, but....

this is where we disagree:

From what was originally posted by theOhioState: he states he would like Mike Bell but couldn't find him on the player list. I could not find him either and made the call that no player unlisted can be drafted.

Commish didn't give an incorrect answer. The Commish looked for the player, couldn't find him, and then stated that you can't draft unlisted players. Period. Mike Bell was listed. Team One and Commish couldn't find him. It was posted that other teams also looked and couldn't find him.

Team Two looked...found him....and drafted him. Should have been end of story.

Worst case, Bell goes into the wiaver pool. In no way should Team One get him, which is what you posted.

QUOTE(Hardrocker @ 8/10/06 2:22pm)

I would too have a problem, but....

this is where we disagree:

From what was originally posted by theOhioState: he states he would like Mike Bell but couldn't find him on the player list. I could not find him either and made the call that no player unlisted can be drafted.

Commish didn't give an incorrect answer. The Commish looked for the player, couldn't find him, and then stated that you can't draft unlisted players. Period. Mike Bell was listed. Team One and Commish couldn't find him. It was posted that other teams also looked and couldn't find him.

Team Two looked...found him....and drafted him. Should have been end of story.

Worst case, Bell goes into the wiaver pool. In no way should Team One get him, which is what you posted.

QUOTE(Hardrocker @ 8/10/06 2:22pm)

Why did he make that rule though? Because HE too couldn't find Mike Bell. He was WRONG about that. He screwed up as much as team one.

Edited by Goopster24

No matter what is said in here, the commish has made up his mind how he is going to deal with the situation. Although I do not agree with what he is doing, he is the commish and we must live with it. I am just going to put my bench players in for game 1 lose with very little points scored and then pick Bell up on the waiver wire. (Assuming Bell is even with the Broncos come that time)

No matter what is said in here, the commish has made up his mind how he is going to deal with the situation. Although I do not agree with what he is doing, he is the commish and we must live with it. I am just going to put my bench players in for game 1 lose with very little points scored and then pick Bell up on the waiver wire. (Assuming Bell is even with the Broncos come that time)

Yeah I'm sure you are going to do that. :D:D

Is Mike Bell really worth that to you?

Edited by Goopster24

1. He was in there, though not the easiest to find, so he should be awardes to the first player.

2. No problem starting early as long as the clock is not started until the official start time.

3. Autopicks can have unintended consequences, as this is a friendly league I would say fixing it was a correct call.

:D Enough said, anyone who says otherwise is just doing things for personal advantage. Those of you that talk about a coach's "tough luck" is just hogwash to me. You're telling me you want to be in a league where some guy accidentally picked a D in the 3rd round or something? I'd rather level the playing field and show what you can do by YOUR picks, not someone elses. Tough calls though Ohio.

Edited by Droobie42

:D Enough said, anyone who says otherwise is just doing things for personal advantage. Those of you that talk about a coach's "tough luck" is just hogwash to me. You're telling me you want to be in a league where some guy accidentally picked a D in the 3rd round or something? I'd rather level the playing field and show what you can do by YOUR picks, not someone elses. Tough calls though Ohio.

I think when it comes to Fantasy Football sometimes, sadly a lot of people do things for personal advantage. That said, I 100% agree with what you said; I want it to be fair at all times and level as can be.

Edited by Goopster24

Well, great. Now the commish has to deal with someone intentionally tanking & admitting before the fact what he intends to do.

Just when I thought this couldn't get any better......

No doubt if Bell ends up starting everyone will throw their first game to be able to pick him up on waivers. NOW another can of worms is opened.

Really? Wow, I would never do this, that's as bad as collusion in my book. Never ever throw a game, it affects everyone in the league and is just bad ethics. :D

:D Stupid, stupid stupid :D That's just bad form dude :D

I tell ya I just love this thread...Everyone who has been a Commish should read it. This is what happens when you reach in to just flick a speck out of the way.

Goop, Swami, Ohio, Grits, Big John, and others have all made good points.

Regardless of the outcome, Popeye, your input here has generally been too upright to really tank a game for a player....

Commish should have learned at least a few good lessons. its not his job to correct errors unless it is an error of the league, and that if he does, he needs to be prepared for consequences that may be worse than the original problem...and then there is the old...no good deed goes unpunished, but I think OhST gets this and it says here he wont do it again.

But it is also a good lesson for owners...no rule book will cover everthing and sometimes we need to make decisions that are in the best interest of the league. Being a good owner starts with knowing what the rules are and being prepared. If you dont do that maybe you can find a hobby that interests you enough to do the bare minimum.

I tell ya I just love this thread...Everyone who has been a Commish should read it. agreed

Goop, Swami, Ohio, Grits, Big John, and others have all made good points. well thanks a lot :D

:D

I tell ya I just love this thread...Everyone who has been a Commish should read it. This is what happens when you reach in to just flick a speck out of the way.

Goop, Swami, Ohio, Grits, Big John, and others have all made good points.

Regardless of the outcome, Popeye, your input here has generally been too upright to really tank a game for a player....

Commish should have learned at least a few good lessons. its not his job to correct errors unless it is an error of the league, and that if he does, he needs to be prepared for consequences that may be worse than the original problem...and then there is the old...no good deed goes unpunished, but I think OhST gets this and it says here he wont do it again.

But it is also a good lesson for owners...no rule book will cover everthing and sometimes we need to make decisions that are in the best interest of the league. Being a good owner starts with knowing what the rules are and being prepared. If you dont do that maybe you can find a hobby that interests you enough to do the bare minimum.

Now do you really think I would throw a game? Too much pride in me for that. My team is set without having Bell. :D

Agreed, i tried to play the role of nice guy and here i sit :D

Regardless of the outcome, Popeye, your input here has generally been too upright to really tank a game for a player.....

He would not tank a game, he's much to competitive for that

Commish should have learned at least a few good lessons. its not his job to correct errors unless it is an error of the league, and that if he does, he needs to be prepared for consequences that may be worse than the original problem...and then there is the old...no good deed goes unpunished, but I think OhST gets this and it says here he wont do it again......

Lesson learned but i still feel i did the right thing by the league.

This is being made a FAR bigger issue then my league has made it, actually it's a none issue by my league and it's being accepted as it is.

No team is set on August 10th, especially at running back. I remember a guy who had Jamal Anderson and Terrell Davis as keepers one year. He thought he was set.

Could not agree more with you. I should have said '' I feel like my team is set ''. Thanks for the correction.

1. He was in there, though not the easiest to find, so he should be awardes to the first player.

2. No problem starting early as long as the clock is not started until the official start time.

3. Autopicks can have unintended consequences, as this is a friendly league I would say fixing it was a correct call.

He was just entered into the MFL database recently. link Note that MFL states their policy regarding adding names on the link as well.

Probably was added after the first pick but before the next? Sux to be you TOS. The player could've been manually entered until the real one came along. Is that what you were saying Big John?

last point, ohiostate made right decision, but i get screwed because of draft date. period.

In the leagues I commish, I make sure that we start the draft when we are supposed to. The "I can't wait to draft" mentality always leads to trouble. It usually leads to at least one owner not being able to draft as he originally planned on drafting.

Just be patient and many problems will be avoided...