[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James Anderson is impressing Panthers staff

PantherDave

I had been hearing little bleeps here and there of Anderson's progress at WLB. There has been little mentioned of Seward in the WLB equation, but you do hear-Diggs, Adams and Anderson. This kid will see some PT this year of that you can count on it, and you may see a WLBBC in Pantherland this season. I would not be surprized if this kid is not the starter by mid-season and the lock starter next season. It's something to keep an eye on for sure, but this is most likely the next long term WLB for the Panthers.

Edited by PantherDave

Like I said, I've been getting hints and info of his progress, but you had Adams with the 1st team in summer school and now you have Diggs with the 1st team in TC, but he has been a liability in the dime situation (Spoon could play as well as the other WLB responsibilities) so they bring in Anderson. This article finally convinced me to post about the on going WLB battle.

http://www.panthers.com/news/newsroomNewsDetail.jsp?id=25914

Like I said, I've been getting hints and info of his progress, but you had Adams with the 1st team in summer school and now you have Diggs with the 1st team in TC, but he has been a liability in the dime situation (Spoon could play as well as the other WLB responsibilities) so they bring in Anderson. This article finally convinced me to post about the on going WLB battle.

http://www.panthers.com/news/newsroomNewsDetail.jsp?id=25914

Yes, everything needs to play out.

This article is good too.

He graduated from Virginia Tech with a degree in studio art and was a finalist for the Wuerffel Trophy, which recognizes athletic and academic achievement along with community service.

So in addition to an exceptional athlete, the Panthers are hoping he's the same kind of solid character Witherspoon was, the embodiment of Fox's "smart and tough" credo.

"I think one of the biggest thing now is that I play with speed and that I can learn a lot faster than people think I can," Anderson said. "That's one thing that's going for me now, is picking it up really quick. It helps coming from a big program, and being blessed with the ability to learn fast."

The other advantage of playing at his particular program is that he played four years worth of special teams, since the Hokies under coach Frank Beamer put such a premium on it.

Still, you get the sense he's going to get his chance to play defense. Last week, when Thomas Davis was on the sidelines after getting a tooth pulled, Anderson worked with the starting nickel package and didn't look out of place it all.

It's the same way Witherspoon started, and the team hopes the story ends the same. If nothing else, it would help the Panthers stem the tide of replacing at least one starting linebacker a year, which has carried through every year but doubled up this year when Witherspoon left.