[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RBBC in Dallas

rajncajn

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=F...32A1873CFA241C9

In The Running

Parcells Looking To Rotate 3 Different Backs

OXNARD, Calif. - Some interesting developments have transpired at the running back position in the last three days.

Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells told reporters Tuesday that if second-year back Marion Barber stays healthy, he will have a "major role on this team."

Barber's reps with the first-team offense have continued to increase. If that's not enough, Tyson Thompson also has run behind the first-team offensive line the last two days, and Parcells said Wednesday he wants the second-year veteran to get in the running back mix as well.

So what does all this mean for Julius Jones, the projected starting tailback who all of sudden is surrounded by competitors left and right?

"I'm no stranger to competition," Jones said following Wednesday morning's practice. "I've been competing ever since I went to college. I competed for a job in college and I'm competing for whatever job here. I'm no stranger to it and I welcome it."

But running back, especially with the Cowboys, is unlike other positions where the first-teamers get the bulk of the reps.

In fact, Parcells has said all along he prefers to rotate his running backs - and he's not changing his tune now. The coach said Wednesday he wants to see Barber and Jones get significant playing time, and possibly even Thompson as well.

"In this day and age, having a multiple-back system, if you have the talent to do it, is advantageous to your team," Parcells said. "I'd always been a coach that had a lead back and a supplemental carrier. And then sometimes I had the advantage of having a third-down guy, too. There were always three guys in the mix every week."

While Parcells wants to keep the three-back philosophy intact, he said there isn't much difference between Jones and Barber.

"I think they're pretty much interchangeable," Parcells said. "With those two, I'm more inclined to change the runners and I'm trying to get Tyson ready to be part of this mix as well, where he could maybe be a change-up runner. That means Marion could be the third-down guy and something else. And then Julius could be the lead runner and you'd have two guys to change up and one guy for the third down.

"That's what I'm trying to do if I could do it, but I don't know if I can."

That certainly isn't music to the ears of die-hard fantasy football players who will have hard time gauging just how many snaps each back will receive from week to week.

But that's exactly how Parcells wants it.

He wants to force opposing teams to prepare for three different backs instead of just one.

"You want to get more than one runner ready each game," Parcells said. "I'd like to get three. Sometimes you don't have more than one. But if you look around the league, there aren't many teams anymore that rely on just one back. You just can't do it."

Parcells doesn't want to, and won't have to.

And it seems the coach has instilled that message to his players.

"I think it's good to have a lot of guys to count on," said Barber, who rushed for 538 yards and five touchdowns last season, which included two starts in place of Jones (high ankle sprain). "All of the running backs are cool. It's all about family. That's what is going to help us win."

While Parcells reiterated he plans to use more than one back, he continues to speak highly of Barber, whose father, Marion Barber, Jr., played seven years in the NFL with the Jets (1982-88).

"He just came into the league ready to play . . . you could see that," Parcells said. "He's been around the game and really understands it. So he already knew how to do a lot of things. He's well-rounded. I like the way he blocks and catches the ball. He's got good vision."

But Parcells still can chew on Barber's well-rounded game. After fumbling twice during team drills last week, Barber has been ordered by the coach to carry a football with him at all times.

"Dinner, lunch, everywhere," Barber said. "I have to take it with me everywhere I go. He wants me to be thinking football 24-7."

While that might be Parcells' way of humbling a second-year player with so much upside, make no mistake, the coach sees nothing but a bright future for Barber.

"I'm really happy with his progress," he said. "If he stays healthy, there is no reason why he can't be a real good player."

Parcells was speaking about Barber, but the same statement could be made for Jones, who has rushed for 1,812 yards in two years despite missing 11 games because of injuries.

Staying healthy is the biggest, and virtually the only goal Jones has for this season, where the third-year back wants to silence his detractors.

"Always, you always have something to prove," Jones said. "To myself, to everyone. I want to play 16 games and get through the whole season. But I think you always have to play like you've got something to prove."

Jones missed three games last year with the ankle injury, which he said didn't completely heal until a month after the season. While he was limited in the second half of the season, Jones still managed to rush for 194 yards and two touchdowns in a Christmas Eve win at Carolina. That was good enough to rank fourth in club history on the team's single-game rushing records, behind only Emmitt Smith (237 yards), Tony Dorsett (206) and yes, Jones, who rushed for 198 yards against Seattle as a rookie in 2004.

"I still know what I can do," said Jones, who just missed a 1,000-yard season, rushing for 993. "I haven't lost any confidence in myself. That's why I'm not really talking about numbers or stats right now. I know that if I go out there and stay healthy all year, the yards will be there. I'm sure about that."

But no one is sure just how the carries will be divided in the regular season, especially if Thompson indeed gets into the picture.

Arguably one of the team's fastest offensive players, Thompson was relegated to mostly kickoff returns last season as he struggled to pick up the system.

But Parcells said things have changed now.

"Yes, he's better," Parcells said. "Much better, way better, 100 percent better. Now, he's a little less than perfect. But he's 100 percent better."

Thompson is expected to get plenty of action Saturday night in Seattle, but he might have to do some time-sharing of his own. The Cowboys' official depth chart actually lists first-year back Keylon Kincade as the third-team back ahead of Thompson and rookie free agent Demetris Summers.

"We're going to try to play a lot of people here in the preseason," Parcells said. "We've got a few moving parts at that position. So I'm not sure exactly how it's going to end up right now. But at least we've got a few options."

And from the looks of things, Parcells is hoping to use them all.

While Parcells wants to keep the three-back philosophy intact, he said there isn't much difference between Jones and Barber.

"I think they're pretty much interchangeable," Parcells said.

well, i guess that means JJ will at least get some goal line carries.

I personally wouldnt want any rb from the cowboys

J.J. will still be the main starter as long as he can stay healthy. Barber will just get a few extra reps outside of his 3rd down duties. and Thompson may get a change of pace.

I don't buy into that article . I just listened to a Parcells interview where he was not even sure if Thompson was gonna be the teams 3rd RB. and now he is gonna get alot of carries?

Sometimes I think these coaches hate us Fantasy Footballers. :D

I'm glad this is happening. I was already avoiding Julius, now I have an even better reason to avoid the entire Dallas backfield.

Dallas is going to struggle early, there is no doubt in my mind. Then, by midseason, they will either implode completely due to injuries and/or T.O.'s mouth, or pull it together and make a playoff run. My gut is telling me the former will happen, but I'd like to see them be competitive and give the Giants and Redskins a run for their money. The NFC East should be the most exciting division this year.

I'm glad this is happening. I was already avoiding Julius, now I have an even better reason to avoid the entire Dallas backfield.

Dallas is going to struggle early, there is no doubt in my mind. Then, by midseason, they will either implode completely due to injuries and/or T.O.'s mouth, or pull it together and make a playoff run. My gut is telling me the former will happen, but I'd like to see them be competitive and give the Giants and Redskins a run for their money. The NFC East should be the most exciting division this year.

This coming from a Giants homer :D

:D I see the Giants as the worst team in that division myself.

This coming from a Giants homer :D

Granted, but I think anyone can read all the negatives coming out of camp right now and conclude the team looks in disarray. The RB situation is a mess, not to mention the o-line, and T.O. is a big wild card. You've got to figure the team is just as likely to go straight down the crapper as they are to make the playoffs. And like I said, I'm hoping they do well because I like to watch competitive football. So much for homerism.

i think you might be right. i can see parcells just laughing his ass off that people follow his every word like he was the chairman of the Fed.

lol exactly

IMO this is the most telling:

"He wants to force opposing teams to prepare for three different backs instead of just one."

JJ will still get the lion's share of carries. Nothing to see here. His health is my only concern.

There is nothing like desperation.

Let's see. The Giants won the division last year and have the entire offense returning. Eli will be a year further into his development. On defense they improved the secondary and added LaVar Arrington. The linebacking corps was already solid and now they have everyone coming back healthy. Best pair of DEs in the league. Word out of camp is the team is focused and chemistry is great. Eli has been working like a madman and looks sharper than ever. Yeah it's camp, so what, but I'd rather hear that than hear my coach say he's afraid for the o-line, my starting receivers are missing valuable practice time, and golly any of these 3 RBs could carry some or all of the load, I just don't know...

I'll be the first to admit the Giants have a brutal schedule and will have their work cut out for them to win the division and beat the likes of Carolina and Seattle, but to say they are the worst in the division is laughable.

Granted, but I think anyone can read all the negatives coming out of camp right now and conclude the team looks in disarray. The RB situation is a mess, not to mention the o-line, and T.O. is a big wild card. You've got to figure the team is just as likely to go straight down the crapper as they are to make the playoffs. And like I said, I'm hoping they do well because I like to watch competitive football. So much for homerism.

I'm not sure where you are finding the negative comments. I've been reading the camp reports at the Dallas website, and aside from a few injuries there nothing negative there. In fact, Parcells says he prefers using multiple backs if there's enough talent to do that.

I'm not sure where you are finding the negative comments. I've been reading the camp reports at the Dallas website, and aside from a few injuries there nothing negative there. In fact, Parcells says he prefers using multiple backs if there's enough talent to do that.

Parcells says 'things are not going well'

I love Parcells, but the back that will play the most will be the back that makes the fewest mistakes. That back will be Jones (as long as he stays healthy). I would take Jones as my #2 back if I can get him.