[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

High-strung Bush asked to throttle it

rajncajn

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton and quarterback Drew Brees have advice for Reggie Bush as the Heisman Trophy winner prepares for his NFL preseason debut.

Their message: Calm down and relax a bit.

Payton and Brees both said they believe Bush might be putting too much pressure on himself by trying to be a perfectionist.

"He's probably at a point where his head's swimming a little bit," Brees said. "He's one of those guys who's so competitive and so intense that when he makes a mistake, he really gets mad at himself. You can tell the guy cares ... and once he gets comfortable with everything, he's going to be a terror."

Full Article

Great sign! However, you don't want the guy to become a head case trying to over perform on every play. He truly has to settle down and do what he knows how to do and just be great.

i dunno. sure sounds to me like they're trying to put a positive spin on the fact that he's having a less-than-stellar camp. :D

:D

All reports I've seen from both news sources & personal reports have said Bush is having a great camp. He's just more hard on himself than most when he does make a mistake.

All reports I've seen from both news sources & personal reports have said Bush is having a great camp. He's just more hard on himself than most when he does make a mistake.

Doesn't this kinda sound Manning-esque?

I understand that they don't want their rookie to put a ton of pressure on himself, but that's probably how Bush -- and Payton and Brees -- got to where they are today. All of a sudden, what is so wrong with being intense? Be careful when asking someone to tone it down...they may never be able to turn it back up when they need to/are asked to.

yah, i heard on the very first play of camp, he ran left, saw nothing, double backed, and was 20 yards down the right sideline before they even touched him...

Doesn't this kinda sound Manning-esque?

I understand that they don't want their rookie to put a ton of pressure on himself, but that's probably how Bush -- and Payton and Brees -- got to where they are today. All of a sudden, what is so wrong with being intense? Be careful when asking someone to tone it down...they may never be able to turn it back up when they need to/are asked to.

well, i think it has to do with the fact that he avg. almost 10 yards a carry last year (8.7 i think) and that's OBVIOUSLY not going to happen in the NFL, but if he's upset when he doesn't get there, will he implode?

edit: and for the record, i hope he does, because I'm a CAR fan :D

Edited by LooGie

i dunno...

Payton and Brees both said they believe Bush might be putting too much pressure on himself by trying to be a perfectionist.

"He's probably at a point where his head's swimming a little bit," Brees said. "He's one of those guys who's so competitive and so intense that when he makes a mistake, he really gets mad at himself. You can tell the guy cares ... and once he gets comfortable with everything, he's going to be a terror."

The dynamic tailback, who was the No. 2 overall pick in April's draft, has had the nerve to appear somewhat mortal at times this week leading up to the Saints' preseason opener Saturday at Tennessee.

Bush has dropped a couple of passes, mishandled a punt or two and has been caught out of position on occasion when lining up.

The mistakes have been minimal and are no different from those others have made adjusting to Payton's new schemes.

But Bush's frustrations have been visible. He once tossed his helmet into the ground, yelled at himself after a bad play and kicked an end zone pylon after dropping a pass.

"Obviously I wouldn't do that in a game," Bush said about openly displaying his emotions. "But you know I'm a competitor and I want to be the greatest, I want to be the best."

Bush insists his confidence hasn't been shaken as he makes the transition from being one of the most exciting players in college football to one of the most hyped rookies to enter the NFL in recent years.

lots of subdued negative tones there between the lines. i mean, i'm sure bush is going to be fine. he's just going through what any rookie goes through.

well, i think it has to do with the fact that he avg. almost 10 yards a carry last year (8.7 i think) and that's OBVIOUSLY not going to happen in the NFL, but if he's upset when he doesn't get there, will he implode?

Fair point there. USC was a great team but playing Oregon isn't the same as running up against the Bears D.

i dunno...

lots of subdued negative tones there between the lines. i mean, i'm sure bush is going to be fine. he's just going through what any rookie goes through.

The article was focused on Bush's attitude when he doesn't play up to his own expectations. Of course there were negative undertones, what kind of article would it be for Bush to be pissed at himself for running a TD on every play? Keep fishing... :D

i dunno...

In all honesty though, those same "negative tones" has applied to every single player at some time in their career.

The article was focused on Bush's attitude when he doesn't play up to his own expectations. Of course there were negative undertones, what kind of article would it be for Bush to be pissed at himself for running a TD on every play? Keep fishing... :D

Rajn, I'm telling you this as a friend -- you're being too defensive about your boy, Reggie. :D

I don't think Az is fishing for anything; he's just pointing out that there's another way to interpret what the article says. He even said "Reggie will be fine."

When you post an article like this, you have to leave a little room for something other than "Reggie is awesome! I can't wait to see him play! He's a HoF lock!!"

I'm happy for you and the rest of the Saints fans and I honestly hope Bush is everything you want him to be. :D

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

Rajn, I'm telling you this as a friend -- you're being too defensive about your boy, Reggie. :D

I don't think Az is fishing for anything; he's just pointing out that there's another way to interpret what the article says. He even said "Reggie will be fine."

Actually I was mainly just pointing out the fact that the articles intent was to show how hard he is on himself. In order to do so you have to point out the negatives. But like you said those negatives are no different than any other rookie or player for that matter which is the whole point of the article. I figured Az should have gotten that so he was probably fishing.

When you post an article like this, you have to leave a little room for something other than "Reggie is awesome! I can't wait to see him play! He's a HoF lock!!"

But it's so true! :D