[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm not one for putting much stock in a preseason game

DMD

:D ...wait, is that good or bad? :D

Very good. If he had a tendency to move it outside in college he can change. He's no Tatum Bell. :D I'll bet he can pound it in from up close.

Did you see him much in college. I saw him when he played the Badgers, but that was it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously General Itals meant ASIDE from that 27 yd burst, he was getting stuffed.

:D

And ASIDE from the 8 yarder up the middle.

But yeah, other than the 27 yarder & 8 yarder up the middle, General Itals was right. :D

Atlantas def starters are no slouches. If the only thing he could pull off is a 27 yard run up the middle... that's not so bad. :D

He only had 4 rushes up the middle and besides the 27 yarder, Maroney also clocked Atlanta's interior D for an 8 yarder.

If 31 yards gained up the middle (he had a carry up the middle that went for -3 yards and one other for 0 yards) on only 4 rushes, is General Itals definition of Maroney being "absolutely stuffed", I'd hate to think how many yards it would take Maroney to gain, before General Itals defines it as OK.

A 100 yards? 150 maybe? :D

After that 27 and 8 yard gain he was deinitely stuffed. :D

True

Of Maroney's 4 carries up the middle, they went;

- L.Maroney up the middle to ATL 15 for 27 yards

- L.Maroney up the middle to ATL 7 for no gain

- L.Maroney up the middle to NE 28 for 8 yards

- L.Maroney up the middle to ATL 17 for -3 yards

I agree with no stock in the pre-season, unless it's to make sure Rex makes it through a whole game, or how Culpepper, Brees, Pennington and Duce look after their injuries.

But I'm putting all my stock in how DeAngelo Williams runs. Pre-season or not, I'm so high on this kid it's pitiful. I'm setting myself up for a hugh reality check i think...

I agree with no stock in the pre-season, unless it's to make sure Rex makes it through a whole game, or how Culpepper, Brees, Pennington and Duce look after their injuries.

But I'm putting all my stock in how DeAngelo Williams runs. Pre-season or not, I'm so high on this kid it's pitiful. I'm setting myself up for a hugh reality check i think...

you and me both...

Atlantas def starters are no slouches. If the only thing he could pull off is a 27 yard run up the middle... that's not so bad. :D

Homework assignment. Check out DMD player rankings of Deshaun Foster. he ripped Atlanta to shreds, but did little else last season. Atlanta over pursues the football, and are routinely caught out of position. How many tackles did maroney break to get his yards. That is a sign of a tough runner, not when the hole is the size of a dump truck.

BTW, Im not hating on Maroney. I think he is going to be an elite back, but Dillon if healthy is not going to roll over and play dead like tatum Bell for instance. he is going to fight to keep his starting position, and this will make Maroney every better down the road.

When I said Maroney was weak running up the middle, I meant that I believe that he has difficulty making the tough yards in short yardage and goaline situations. I think that will be borne out this year. He is fine running draw plays and the like.

He had a chance to be the main man at Minnesota last year after Barber left, and he had difficulty making those yards against inferior competition, which opened the door for Gary Russell.

I was really impressed last night by his ability to break tackles downfield. He didn't always show that at Minnesota, but only because he was often already getting angled out of bounds or being chased down from behind because he had broken the play.

I thought one of the first rules of FF was not to put too much stock in pre-season games. Isn't that what the "experts" tell us every year? :D

Absolutely. But it is very nice to see good things from a guy playing with the first team offense (for the most part) during the first half.

i have dillon and handcuffed him and got maroney,i believe dillon will get the 1st and 2nd down carries, gl carries and maroney will get 3rd and spell, dillon still looked like dillon of 2004, he pounded and almost got a score but they took him out, or he took himself out!! inside my heart is telling me dillon get hurt, maroney alone could take me to the playoffs, look at my ugly squad below! i need jesus!! (or maroney)

I do pay a lot of attention to the preseason games, but they rarely effect my drafting strategy. I just like to watch the young guys play and get a feel were the next round of talent/opportunity is forming. It seems like every year, 3 or 4 guys "come out of nowhere" when a stud goes down to injury or behavior/legal problems. Well, they don't "come out of nowhere." That's what preseason is for. :D

Wasn't crazy about him in college as I do watch a lot of Big 10 football but that dealt with more him as a person. The guy can play football and I drafted him today in my local league. It will be fun to see what he can do. I got a feeling a got a steal and a guy that will no doubt out perform his draft slot.

Homework assignment. Check out DMD player rankings of Deshaun Foster. he ripped Atlanta to shreds, but did little else last season. Atlanta over pursues the football, and are routinely caught out of position.

News flash for you Pvt. Ryan.

Falcons starting MLB, Hartwell, was out when Foster played them last year. Both Safety positions have been up graded this year with Milloy & Crocker, guys who are not afraid to stick their noses in there for run support. Abraham is now on the team as well.

Last years D, is not this years D.

The fact that both Dillon & Maroney gashed the Run D shows they're still jelling and of course, what we saw Atlanta play was a very vanilla D.

Edited by Big Score 1

By being high on Williams you have now lost all your rights to ever question me. He dont have what it takes to be anything special in the NFL. The ONLY thing going for him is Carolina's RBs have a tendency to drop like flies. Call it a gut feeling, or what i seen of him in college, but i just dont like him as an NFL starter.

P.S. If he was the only show in town, he might be a servicable #2. Better hope every other RB on the team breaks an ankle or two.

:D was it something i said?

in all seriousness, it's a pretty well known fact that I have no love for Foster. When he's not limping around, he's losing 2 yards on a carry. He's mediocre at best. Some plays there's a flash of brilliance, but it usually ends in a shattered something.

Eric Shelton has not been worth the pick they used to get him, and Williams could be the answer. I'm not looking for a backup to Foster, I'm looking for the next franchise RB. I personally could care less about HIM as a person. When I say I'm high on him, it's because he might be the starter by week 3, and I'm high on the fact that there's a RB on our squad that might actually be able to carry the ball. It could be a girl scout in there, and I'd praise her, as long as she can pound the rock.

I am curious what you don't like about him though. Anything in particular that i need to watch for?