[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

more stuff on Rivers

Avernus

Chargers | Rivers wise beyond his years

Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:57:20 -0700

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers QB Philip Rivers has shown great command of the offense throughout training camp. "I've never been around a 24-year-old 12-year vet," QB A.J. Feeley said of Rivers. "He's one of those guys, his knowledge of the game is as high as anyone I've ever been around. That's not taking anything away from anyone I've been around. The guy just knows a lot. There's something different about him."

I already like what I am hearing...and then you keep hearing more good stuff about him...like this..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love for somebody NOT as lazy as me to dig up articles from Ryan Leafs first preseason. What were the reports then? :D

I think one of the reports said that Leaf wished he had Tomlinson and Gates on his roster back in 98....

but he would have still sucked if he did anyways...

I would love for somebody NOT as lazy as me to dig up articles from Ryan Leafs first preseason. What were the reports then? :D

This is from after Week 4 of 1998. Interesting, purely for people who have been doing this for awhile.

Leigh Steinberg, Leaf's agent, said his client possess all of the qualities to be a number one quarterback and step in to contribute immediately.

"With Ryan, you've got someone that has tremendous leadership qualities, whose teammates love him, who's unselfish in terms of spreading the praise around. He's as ready to go as any young quarterback can be, meaning that there's still going to be a learning curve."

Fun article to read

Well God knows Shotty threw all his eggs into Rivers' basket. I felt they were in the mix for a superbowl run until they did that. But perhaps they knew they weren't in any danger with this kid...

Shottenheimer madkes the personal decisions there? I could swear he doesn't, and that's the problem going on in SD right now.

Shottenheimer madkes the personal decisions there? I could swear he doesn't, and that's the problem going on in SD right now.

well, i used Shotty as the symbolic "front office decision makers" Obviously he had a say in it, and i dont know the chain of command there, or really enough about the SD front office at all, but I know SD was a good possible super bowl contender with Brees, and then he was gone, and would've been gone even without the injury i believe.

well, i used Shotty as the symbolic "front office decision makers" Obviously he had a say in it, and i dont know the chain of command there, or really enough about the SD front office at all, but I know SD was a good possible super bowl contender with Brees, and then he was gone, and would've been gone even without the injury i believe.

OK, gotcha. I agree, they were and still would have been a SB contender. The organization, for whateer reason, just seemed dead set on getting rid of him. It's not even like he had a huge cap number.

OK, gotcha. I agree, they were and still would have been a SB contender. The organization, for whateer reason, just seemed dead set on getting rid of him. It's not even like he had a huge cap number.

for real. And all last season, when they were winning, Brees couldn't even get a single conversation about his contract. They knew he was gone. He had a weekly spot on sirius NFL radio, and every week they would ask about his contract situation, and all he could say was "no talks yet" it was pitiful.

I know it's preseason, but tonight Rivers went 15/21 for 169 yds. and one TD (to Vincent Jackson, by the way) with no picks against the Pack. That's a pretty good start to 2006, all things considered.

As I've said numerous times, Rivers is light years ahead of Drew Brees and he will show it this year. He came into NC State as a rookie/freshmen QB and just re-wrote NC State and ACC records. He could have played right off the bat for the Chargers as well, but lit a fire under Brees and pretty much salvaged Drew's career by his mere presence, for Brees was headed for the NFL scrap heap if you remember,right behind the aforementioned Leaf. The Chargers have their franchise QB finally at the helm-enjoy.

As I've said numerous times, Rivers is light years ahead of Drew Brees and he will show it this year. He came into NC State as a rookie/freshmen QB and just re-wrote NC State and ACC records. He could have played right off the bat for the Chargers as well, but lit a fire under Brees and pretty much salvaged Drew's career by his mere presence, for Brees was headed for the NFL scrap heap if you remember,right behind the aforementioned Leaf. The Chargers have their franchise QB finally at the helm-enjoy.

If we sent him to the middle east would we have world peace too? :D

Living here in the Carolinas and watching him for many years I can say for sure this kid is a terrific QB and he will definitely be the SD QB they have been looking for. Sitting on the sideline for 2 years will do a world of good for him, but it is now his turn to show what he can do. :D

I'll believe it when I see it. College is a totally different world, history has shown success there means crud. Neither does success in Pre Season. I kid with my Ryan Leaf posts, but I use it to ground all this rampant speculation about how well he is doing. Leaf cam eout of College a stud, not a late round reach. He had an fantastic college career, followed by an impressive preseason and even opeing week game.

So let's hold off predicting Rivers will walk on water until we are sure he won't be handing water to the next startgin QB on the team.