[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone have info about

jgcoach

:D That depends on just how god or bad Reggie is. Let's re-visit this in December.

Actually, no -- it doesn't depend on how good Reggie is in New Orleans. That's kinda my point. :D

As long as Kubiak and Co. can put together a productive rushing attack (like he always had in Denver), it will become clear that the stud DE is a smarter choice.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, no -- it doesn't depend on how good Reggie is in New Orleans. That's kinda my point. :D

As long as Kubiak and Co. can put together a productive rushing attack (like he always had in Denver), it will become clear that the stud DE is a smarter choice.

I said it also depends on how Bush does but, you have a much better point. :D If they can put together a good running game in Houston, I guess it doesn't matter who's doing the running just so long as they're getting it done.

I'd say Williams' production factors in there somewhere - if Hou's running game is fine, and Carr steps up but Williams busts, that will impact how people view the pick - there will still be the armchair GMs, with the wonderful talent of 20/20 hindsight, saying "they shoulda picked [insert name of 15-20th pick who's doing very well 4 years from now here]

yeah you're not in bad shape...

what round did you get DD in?

Actually, he was a keeper, and, my only other option was Warrick Dunn, who I considered, but, since I already have Parker and Tiki, I decided to gamble on Domanick Davis. His injury situation will force me to go with another RB much earlier than I had hoped though.

I'd say Williams' production factors in there somewhere - if Hou's running game is fine, and Carr steps up but Williams busts, that will impact how people view the pick - there will still be the armchair GMs, with the wonderful talent of 20/20 hindsight, saying "they shoulda picked [insert name of 15-20th pick who's doing very well 4 years from now here]

I agree with you to a certain degree -- all draft picks are ultimately judged on how that player performs, himself. However, and I guess this might fall under the "semantics" category, Williams was the only other player ANY team had at the top of their board. So, in essence, Kubiak had two options: Bush or Williams.

If the Texans have a top-10 rushing offense under Kubiak, then I think you have to say they made the "smarter choice." Given their two options, they went with the one that could potentially help their team more.

Gary Kubiak comes from Denver where great backs were created from snow cone vendors and janitors, so it is no surprise that he would not feel he needs an overpaid back to make his system work.

Since it was Alex Gibbs who created those great backs, I'm not sold on the premise that Kubiak will be able to turn Joe Average Third-Stringer into the next Reuben Droughns.

Plus his system is the old "one cut and up the field" whereas Bush is "five cuts and reverse field".

Agreed on that point. No reason on breaking the bank on Bush when they need an O-line overheal as well.

Never did have much love for Dom and I'm glad that I stayed away from him this season.

Edited by Bill Swerski

John, McClain, Houston Chronicle

Indeed, rushing for a franchise- record 173 yards in preseason would please any coach, especially one with his starting running back (Domanick Davis) on the sideline nursing a knee injury. Rookies Wali Lundy and Chris Taylor combined to rush for 114 yards. Rookie Damien Rhodes scored the last touchdown.

"We've got an interesting battle at running back," Kubiak said. "Wali and Chris ran hard and did what they were supposed to do in this system: make one cut and get going downhill fast."

Kubiak said he and general manager Rick Smith met with Davis to get a better idea of what he's experiencing with his sore knee.

"We told him we were patient, and that we'd wait on him, but we also wanted to know what he's thinking," Kubiak said. "He says he's feeling better.

"He's got a bad bruise on his knee, and we've got to get it back to where it was when camp began. I was encouraged after our meeting, but we still don't know when he's going to be able to practice or play."

Link

I agree with you to a certain degree -- all draft picks are ultimately judged on how that player performs, himself. However, and I guess this might fall under the "semantics" category, Williams was the only other player ANY team had at the top of their board. So, in essence, Kubiak had two options: Bush or Williams.

If the Texans have a top-10 rushing offense under Kubiak, then I think you have to say they made the "smarter choice." Given their two options, they went with the one that could potentially help their team more.

Good points. Though IIRC there was some support for D'Brickashaw Ferguson as #1 overall as well.

I hope Lundy gets a true chance to show what he can do. I think he could be a serious player, especially in Kubiak's system.

Sad story for Davis. The guy truly never could stay healthy. If he was on a better team and stayed healthy, this guy could have been something truly unreal.