[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Leinart final first round holdout

DMD

Leinart is officially this year's Benson.

Denny Green was just on SportsCenter and man - the Cardinals are getting pretty pissy about this. Evidently Tom Condon keeps throwing up problems on guaranteed money. Supposedly they are already offering him Top 5 money for being a #10 draft pick.

Not a good situation for a rookie.

When will they learn?

When will they learn?

Probably never. I can't help but think that if Leinart is so unhappy with his contract offer, which is based almost exclusively on his draft position, then he should have listened to those who told him to come out last year when he would have almost certainly been a top 3 draft pick and would have thus received a better contract offer. I understand that he liked being in college and all, but I'm sure he understood the financial risks that went along with his staying for another year...he really should be grateful that he didn't end up getting injured and just get his butt into camp. :D

Probably never. I can't help but think that if Leinart is so unhappy with his contract offer, which is based almost exclusively on his draft position, then he should have listened to those who told him to come out last year when he would have almost certainly been a top 3 draft pick and would have thus received a better contract offer. I understand that he liked being in college and all, but I'm sure he understood the financial risks that went along with his staying for another year...he really should be grateful that he didn't end up getting injured and just get his butt into camp. :D

Just unreal to think about that. He could have been the first pick overall...He went back to be the second repeat Heisman winner and win three straight National Championships. He didn't do either. :D

from the east valley tribune:

Cards coach Green irritated by Leinart's absence

By Darren Urban, Tribune

August 14, 2006

FLAGSTAFF - Cardinals coach Dennis Green took aim at unsigned first-round pick Matt Leinart during his daily press conference Monday, and let it be known he was angry the quarterback was still not under contract. Green’s voice rose as he emphasized the Cardinals’ week-old offer included $14 million in guarantees and had a total overall value that would put it among the top five rookie deals.

“When you put $14 million on the table for the 10th pick in the draft, that is a lot more than anyone you’ve ever heard of for the 10th pick in the draft,” Green said. “I think we have been more than generous.

“What I am feeling, I love the idea of Ben Roethlisberger coming out to play (Saturday), Edgerrin James coming out to play, Kurt Warner, a former MVP, coming out to play. ... I just feel Matt Leinart has missed all that.

“I look forward to going to New England (this weekend), I look forward to Kurt Warner going on the field, looking over and seeing Tom Brady — who was not the 10th pick in the draft, he was in the (sixth) round, so it’s not always about the draft. ... It’d be a shame if Matt Leinart is still sitting there as the only guy in the National Football League who is not in the National Football League... on a deal that was on the table a week ago.”

At the end of the comment, Green announced angrily that “I’m in one of those kind of moods,” and cut off the press conference by leaving the podium.

Reached prior to Green’s statement, Leinart agent Tom Condon said while there had been some talks both Sunday and Monday, not much had been decided in negotiations. Asked if it was philosophical differences, Condon said no.

“It’s not philosophy,” Condon said. “It’s the money and the ability to achieve the money.”

As of Monday, Leinart has missed 15 days since the team took the field for the first time in training camp and has missed 17 team practices (not including special teams work). That doesn’t account for the hours of meetings and off-field preparation time he has missed.

The man Leinart was supposed to be battling for the backup quarterback job, John Navarre, struggled in the preseason opener against Pittsburgh, throwing two interceptions.

“It’s not philosophy,” Condon said. “It’s the money and the ability to achieve the money.”

...so it appears Leinart wants a contract loaded with incentives?

I'm sure the Cards would be thrilled to do that! :D

I don't understand the criticism of Leinart for his decision to stay in school another year... he DID get to learn how to dance. :D

I was thinking more along the lines of how many USC hotties he managed to notch in his bedpost. :D

Honestly, I don't see what everybody's getting so pissy about. He was never expected to come right in and be the starter, so him holding out and missing time isn't going to hurt the team in the short term. The Cards were lucky--LUCKY to get him at 11, and I agree that he should be set up with a contract that would give him top 5 money (incentive laden, of course). Look, he's been drafted by maybe the worst NFL franchise in history, and whatever upside the Cards may have right now should be tempered with the fact that this team has never done squat. I say Leinart should go get as much money as he can from the Cardinals, because it's highly unlikely that he will ever be able to substitute money for wins or rings.

Just my 2 cents.

ProFootballTalk.com reports Arizona has reached a contract agreement with Matt Leinart, the No. 10 pick overall.

Leinart is currently third on Arizona's depth chart but, as evidenced by John Navarre's dreadful play in the team's preseason opener, the Cardinals needed Leinart in camp badly. Head coach Dennis Green lashed out at Leinart and his agents earlier in the day, which may have spurred talks.

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

ProFootballTalk.com reports Arizona has reached a contract agreement with Matt Leinart, the No. 10 pick overall.

Leinart is currently third on Arizona's depth chart but, as evidenced by John Navarre's dreadful play in the team's preseason opener, the Cardinals needed Leinart in camp badly. Head coach Dennis Green lashed out at Leinart and his agents earlier in the day, which may have spurred talks.

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

Navarre... :D ...that guy has to wind up like a baseball pitcher to throw a 10-yard out.