[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So yesterday my 11 year old son asked me ....

Grits and Shins

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you tell him? Not yet because Daddy's still not very good at it.

I was rather non-committal on the topic. My wife already hates the fact that I play and I'm concerned about her reaction to getting my son involved. I will likely try to spin it into a father-son kind of bonding activity being good for us ... and find him a free league to play in.

I was rather non-committal on the topic. My wife already hates the fact that I play and I'm concerned about her reaction to getting my son involved. I will likely try to spin it into a father-son kind of bonding activity being good for us ... and find him a free league to play in.

Free leagues suck. He might as well learn that early. Have him use some of his allowance or hard earned chore money and join a real league. There's a BOTH league I commish that has an opening. I'm certainly not above taking an 11 year olds money. :D

Help him Co-manage a free team on ESPN or something. Take time out Sunday morning or Saturday night to make your lineup moves and all that. It's the basic strategy you want to teach him first, then step it up the next year and maybe let him do his thing. If he wants to play FF your wife is gonna probably just have to deal with it the way she deals with it cause you play.

This is a wonderful thing! :D

Free leagues suck. He might as well learn that early. Have him use some of his allowance or hard earned chore money and join a real league. There's a BOTH league I commish that has an opening. I'm certainly not above taking an 11 year olds money. :D

11. Yup, that's about the right age of competition for you, H1. :D

I've done it the past 3 seasons :D

Help him Co-manage a free team on ESPN or something. Take time out Sunday morning or Saturday night to make your lineup moves and all that. It's the basic strategy you want to teach him first, then step it up the next year and maybe let him do his thing. If he wants to play FF your wife is gonna probably just have to deal with it the way she deals with it cause you play.

This is a wonderful thing! :D

Yes my first thought was to find an ESPN free league and help him manage it ... he even mentioned that ESPN has free leagues.

(He loves the Housh-your-mama commercial)

Yes my first thought was to find an ESPN free league and help him manage it ... he even mentioned that ESPN has free leagues.

(He loves the Housh-your-mama commercial)

a free league for his 1st time is a good move...allow him to learn from his mistakes early....

the only problem is he may get discouraged quickly if he makes too many bad moves...

A few months back I tried starting a father and son league but it did not get much response. Maybe it was to early in the year. And it may be a little late now to get one going but what the others said about a free league or co-managing your tweams would be a great way to learn. Glad to see you brainwashed, I mean got him interested in FF.

Edited by Footballjoe

You have chosen to ignore msaint.

View this post. Unignore msaint.

:D that's awesome, i've never been cyber-ignored here before (far as i know)...glad i said something to achieve that status.

now that's classic. :D

but i'm with you, i'd spin it as something that will get him spending time with you, solid binding opportunity. Also throw in that he will be more interested in football and sports in general, and thus more likely to lessen time playing video games, computers, erc...wives like that sort of thing. :D

But do not let him join a "pay" league...any inference to gambling would negate all the above advantages.

I have a 12 year old that just really started getting into football about a year ago. Which is cool, but now he is coming at me with trivia questions about stats / records / playoff history...etc. He is in the process of becoming a stat nerd already, so this year I will initiate him with a free Yahoo league, or some other free league just so he can get his feet wet. The moment has come. Watch out fantasy world. Little rattsass is coming. Ahhh the circle of life.........................

Get him involved if he so wishes, but I strongly urge you to get him in a free league. Too much monetary losses from you and the son could make the misses really upset. My 6 year old wants to play as well, so for now I am letting him pick my logos.

I have a 12 year old that just really started getting into football about a year ago. Which is cool, but now he is coming at me with trivia questions about stats / records / playoff history...etc. He is in the process of becoming a stat nerd already, so this year I will initiate him with a free Yahoo league, or some other free league just so he can get his feet wet. The moment has come. Watch out fantasy world. Little rattsass is coming. Ahhh the circle of life.........................

My 12 year old won the local last year. He's a stat freak and loves it. He's playing split-end for the 7th grade team here, too. 11 is not too early.

Come on Grits tell the truth. His real question was..."Dad why are you such a dick?" And then Grits said, "Ignore son." :D