[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Charles Rogers Gone? M. Willams Safe?

BigTen

FYI...

Q: Why not play Charles Rogers and Mike Williams more during the preseason?

A: This is the whole thing with the coaches: you have to earn it in practice. It's why Ernie Sims and Daniel Bullocks weren't in the starting lineup. I think Mike Williams is on safe ground now. He has shown enough in one game and in practice. He has only been here for one year, and he's shown some things.

I still think Charles Rogers is in danger. You can tell what they think of players by how much they are in the rotation. Today in practice with Roy Williams out, Glenn Martinez was the No. 1 WR. He hasn't been anywhere lower than No. 2. That tells you they like Glenn Martinez over Charles Rogers and Mike Williams.

Q: Mike Williams shouldn't be lumped in with Charles Rogers. The problems are drastically different. Mike Williams showed his ability down by the goalline - big body with good hands.

A: That goal line play is what they want him for. I agree with you. I don't think they can be lumped together. What put them together was their lack of work ethic. Last year they were both inactive because of their work habits. That's how they got lumped together. I think there's a little separation now. Mike Williams can make plays, but the problem is that Mike Martz is still not happy with his quickness getting in and out of breaks. That will be a bone of contention as we go along.

Q: Caller asks if Charles Rogers' lackluster performance and his false start will spell his demise.

A: Right now I don't think Rogers makes the team. He has to play his way on. I think he's done enough in training camp to play his way off the roster. He hasn't been bad, but he hasn't done anything to stand out.

Now, despite that, he has had two practices in which he challenged defenders and rise up, take the ball away, show flash. But, you can't do that here and there, you have to do that all the time. His lack of consistency hurts him. He has to bring it all the time. He'll have a great practice and then a mediocre one.

Q: Is there any chance Rogers knows he's going to be cut, and he's just fine with it? Maybe he's been that way since they wanted his bonus money.

A: His mindset is probably "if they're going to cut me then fine, I'll go somewhere else where they want me." When Roy Williams got the flanker position, after Rogers' injury, that became his first issue with this team. He didn't feel he was given the opportunity to get that spot back. In this offense it doesn't matter, anybody can get the ball, but that may have done the damage.

The Lions don't get cap relief if they win their judgment against Rogers. They only get the cap relief with what they actually get back. If I am Charles Rogers, I hide the money away anywhere I can. I don't think the Lions will be successful in collecting that money

Not a good sign :D

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5876250

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) - Charles Rogers sat on a stationary bike, watching the Detroit Lions practice without him.

He's hoping that isn't a sign of things to come.

Rogers, the second pick in the 2003 draft, sat out both workouts Tuesday with a sore knee, the latest in a long list of setbacks since he joined the team.

The wide receiver missed most of his first two seasons with broken collarbones, catching a total of 22 passes, then saw his 2005 season unravel in a different way.

The Michigan native had caught five balls in the first three games of the year when he was suspended by the NFL for violating the substance-abuse program. He missed the next five games and was inactive two more times in the second half of the season.

In all, he caught only 14 passes and scored just once. He has two touchdowns since scoring a pair in the first game of his career in 2003.

"I still have that ability," Rogers said Tuesday. "I can still stretch a defense, and I've still got the speed. I'm still the guy who was the No. 2 pick."

The former Michigan State All-American hasn't shown that in camp this year, though. He's currently listed as a third-team receiver and caught one pass in last week's exhibition win against Denver.

"It's still early - there are still three preseason games left," he said. "They can't really evaluate me until I get some opportunities to catch the ball."

Rogers seemed to start camp well, leading coach Rod Marinelli to say Rogers was on the second team after the first day of practice. But he has gotten less time as camp progressed. Tuesday, he was watching, with what Marinelli said was minor knee soreness.

As the afternoon workout unfolded and his other injured teammates pedaled their bikes, Rogers sat motionless.

"I'm injury-free right now," he said afterward. "I've got rods in my collarbones - you can call me Iron Man. I'm a little sore, but it is nothing serious. Every one has nicks and bruises during two-a-days."

Rogers realizes there's a chance that he might have to leave Detroit to play football.

"I hope that the organization still has faith in me," he said. "I'm coming out here every day working hard.

"But if I'm not a Lion, I know that I can catch on somewhere else. I can play this game, and there are always teams that need wide receivers."

No matter where he ends up, Rogers just hopes to enjoy the game again.

"It's going to get fun, but only when I get back on the field," he said. "This is what I love to do. This is what I was born to do."

I don't see Rogers making the team. He has the skills to be successful in a Martz system. It looks like he sees the writing on the wall.

I agree. I saw every game of his while at MSU. He WAS a stud. His problems are all mental, he has the physical tools. It is a shame to see what has happened to him but it is HIS fault. I think with a new team and new city he may get things on the right track but you never know. :D