[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

After the BIG 3 at RB, what do you do?

keggerz

1st let me state that my only redraft leagues are

A) done or

:D into the hope and a prayer players(32 homers)

so after the Big 3 what do you look for in a RB?

are you looking for

UPSIDE: Ronnie Brown, SJax, Caddy to name a few

Higher Potential Vets: Barber or Edge?

Consistency: Rudi Johnson or Jordan

Injury Concerns with Upside: Westbrook or now Portis

does your selection effect your draft strategy?

a good argument can be made for almost any of the above named backs to be taken as

high as #4

so with that said there are the top 3 then the other 9 RBs I listed sot he questions i have are:

1. who do you pull the trigger on at #4 and why

2. if you were drafting at 10 or later which of those guys makes you giddy that they fell(cant be the same person you would take at #4)

3. how does who you take as your #1 RB effect the rest of your draft?

Tiki

i know he is getting older but not much has changed in NY and he doesn't seem to be slowing down any - as a mater of fact he seems to be improving. a safer bet than most this year IMO after Tiki i think SJ has the best chance of improving big time

Thank goodness I won't have to make this decision as either LJ or SA will be mine on draft night.

Take Manning, why not should have 2004 numbers this year, ride him to the playoffs

I was thinking the same thing but not at 4. I was thinking early 2nd round for Manning. I usually wait until round 5 or 6 before I even think about taking a QB. But Manning should have a monster year.

If PPR, its Tiki at 4. If not PPR, then either Tiki or Portis.

Nothing to date has been reported (here, TV, print, other internet) to suggest that Portis' injury is anything major. He had a subluxation, which is a self reducing dislocation.

Let me put it in perspective. Have you ever know anyone who was "double jointed"? They can pop their shoulder "out" and then back in and it makes a clunking noise. That is essentially what happened. The only difference between him and the "double jointed" person is that the "double jointed" person either has a congenital or acquired ligament laxity that allows it to happen and therefore has very little pain because the stabilizing structures are too loose. Nothing I read about Portis would suggest this is the case. I'm sure it hurt quite a bit because of the way it happened, but that's nothing compared to the pain he would have had if he had fully dislocated it and needed to have it put back in.

A dislocation hangs slack in the joint and would need to be reduced by the trainer or ortho on staff. Labral tears, fractures and nerve damage can happen but don't necessarily happen.

For more fun facts about shoulder dislocations vs. subluxation go to

http://www.medicineonline.com/encyclopedia...der-Dislocation

Fogg

Nothing to date has been reported (here, TV, print, other internet) to suggest that Portis' injury is anything major. He had a subluxation, which is a self reducing dislocation.

Let me put it in perspective. Have you ever know anyone who was "double jointed"? They can pop their shoulder "out" and then back in and it makes a clunking noise. That is essentially what happened. The only difference between him and the "double jointed" person is that the "double jointed" person either has a congenital or acquired ligament laxity that allows it to happen and therefore has very little pain because the stabilizing structures are too loose. Nothing I read about Portis would suggest this is the case. I'm sure it hurt quite a bit because of the way it happened, but that's nothing compared to the pain he would have had if he had fully dislocated it and needed to have it put back in.

A dislocation hangs slack in the joint and would need to be reduced by the trainer or ortho on staff. Labral tears, fractures and nerve damage can happen but don't necessarily happen.

Fogg

Dr. Fogg (with his medical input) rapidly making an early push for Newbie of the Year. :D

I still take Portis.

i personally would take Tiki over Portis anyway. Tiki is a fantasy god right now, and really hasn't showed signs of slowing down. At all. Hell, he looks better than ever.

Next year I might not have him so high, even if he does a recreate of 05, but this year, I'd bank on him regardless

i personally would take Tiki over Portis anyway. Tiki is a fantasy god right now, and really hasn't showed signs of slowing down. At all. Hell, he looks better than ever.

Next year I might not have him so high, even if he does a recreate of 05, but this year, I'd bank on him regardless

Portis will out score Tiki IMHO

I wouldn't let this injury worry me yet. He has alot more going for him than he did last year.

I would take Tiki next.

Unfortunately I don't have a link to this, :D but I read it in another thread here on the huddle and I couldn't find it via the search......... My main problem with Tiki is that even he said in an interview not to pick him for Fantasy football. He stated in the interview that while he'll get the carries and the yardage, he may not get the goal line touches and that Brandon Jacobs was going to get more goal line work this year........ :D:D

While I like S Jackson a lot, I still think I would be reaching for him with the # 4 pick, so I'm tempted to still go with Portis and take my chances..........then take a couple of top WR's, and use picks 4 & 5 on RB's, and load up on some depth at RB........Should be able to get guys like Dunn or Lewis in the 4th, and possibly Addai or Benson in the 5th......

AAaggghh, the season hasn't even started yet, and FF is already driving me nuts......... :D:D

Take Manning, why not should have 2004 numbers this year, ride him to the playoffs

League set-up and scoring is #1, but I too would consider Manning, not any other QB, but certaily Manning. The point differential the he gives you over the opposing teams QB on a weekly basis should help you cover match-up problems at RB. You are hooked at taking RBs with two of your next three picks to stay competative though!

Manning. like Gates, at their respective positions, give you almost weekly guaranteed wins at their positions with point differential "pads, that help cover weaknesses elsewhere on you roster. Since the majority of leagues only start one at each of these positions, statistically, it makes their points "count" more, raising their actual value on the draft board.

Yeah, I could comfortably take Manning here, his brother Peyton wouldn't be a bad consideration either! :D

Edited by McBoog

My main problem with Tiki is that even he said in an interview not to pick him for Fantasy football. He stated in the interview that while he'll get the carries and the yardage, he may not get the goal line touches and that Brandon Jacobs was going to get more goal line work this year........ :D:D

thats what he said last year as well...and i agree with you about SJax, 4th is to early imo

Fogg

Well done. :D

No link, but I heard on the radio on my way home last night that he not only has the separation, but they feared he had partially torn his rotator cuff. :D Let me try finding a link.

Edit: Can't find anything ... and actually, everything I'm reading (granted these snippits are 1-2 days old) says that he simply "stretched" the cuff area, no tear.

Edited by darin3

RBs in the NFL with tweaked shoulders are a recipe for trouble.

RBs take a tremendous amount of upper body punishment, especially those that get a lot or work. If Portis' shoulder isn't healed completely going into week 1 - which it appears is unlikely based upon the latest medical reports - he's going to get his shoulder dinged up every week. Then it comes down to a matter of tolerance for pain and how much the injury affects his performance - in short, not whether it will affect Portis, because it wll, every week, but rather how much it detracts from his performance - going down a bit easier than normal, fumbling more, protecting the QB in the pocket, etc.

As much as I like Portis, it seems like he's been snake bitten ever since he played chicken with Shanahan in DEN & got shipped off to WAS. I'd take Tiki in the Giants' prolific O as well as R Brown & probably S Jackson before I'd consider Portis this year.

3. how does who you take as your #1 RB effect the rest of your draft?

As someone drafting at 8 & 9 in my two respective drafts, I'm more interested in what people to have to say about question #3. I'll be happy with either Brown or Caddy (leaning towards Brown), but I'd love it if for some reason SJax fell to me at either 8 or 9. Although it's more likely at 8.

Neither of the leagues are PPR and we start 2 RBs. Am I crazy for not taking Lamont Jordan at 8 or 9? The Raiders as a team just make me nervous. With Jordan and Moss screaming for the ball, is it a recipe for low FF points?

RBs in the NFL with tweaked shoulders are a recipe for trouble.

RBs take a tremendous amount of upper body punishment, especially those that get a lot or work. If Portis' shoulder isn't healed completely going into week 1 - which it appears is unlikely based upon the latest medical reports - he's going to get his shoulder dinged up every week. Then it comes down to a matter of tolerance for pain and how much the injury affects his performance - in short, not whether it will affect Portis, because it wll, every week, but rather how much it detracts from his performance - going down a bit easier than normal, fumbling more, protecting the QB in the pocket, etc.

As much as I like Portis, it seems like he's been snake bitten ever since he played chicken with Shanahan in DEN & got shipped off to WAS. I'd take Tiki in the Giants' prolific O as well as R Brown & probably S Jackson before I'd consider Portis this year.

These are me feelings exactly Broncoo. There's just too much risk that this shoulder injury could linger all year long. Both Saunders and Gibbs love Betts and won't hesitate to put him in if Portis' performance drops in the least. I have the #5 pick in a first year keeper league and since Portis injured his shoulder I'm considering Brown, Caddy or SJax. I'm having a hard time deciding though. Who do you like out of those 3?

I would go with:

4. R. Brown - Cpep and a better passing game should open up the running lanes

5a-b. coin toss between Tiki and Portis. Tiki will probably put up good yards but lose goal line carries again. Portis will lose some carries to Betts and the question of the shoulder being a nagging injury is still there.

:close your eyes and throw a dart:

7. SJax - should be a much more complete RB than first two years.