[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WR - Vincent Jackson

CD6405

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Chargers kick returner Darren Sproles will be out for the season with a broken left leg and the team revealed Tuesday that wide receiver Vincent Jackson has been hospitalized since Saturday night with a bruised chest.

Coach Marty Schottenheimer wouldn't expand on Jackson's condition. Jackson was injured in Saturday night's exhibition win over the Green Bay Packers.

"He is still in the hospital but everything seems to be going smoothly and he should be out of the hospital no later than tomorrow," Schottenheimer said. "He has some type of compression injury to his chest, but they expect him to be back and not be any long-term consequence.

He seems okay, but they won't let anyone know more about it. Seems weird just to be in the hospital for a bruised chest.

Edited by CD6405

SD sports radio said today that when he made his TD catch on Saturday, he fell on the football and bruised his chest. The injury is not felt to be serious, and he was hospitalized as a precaution.

Could have been some internal bleeding. Bledsoe actually came pretty close to death a few years ago when he was with the Pats due to a heavy hit he took to the chest which caused internal bleeding (that's what opened the door for an unknown kid named Tom Brady).

Do you think the force of Vincent falling on a football, would equal the force of the hit Bledsoe took from Moe Lewis?

Here's a tip... if you ever do not want to wait for hours in an Emergency Room waiting area, tell them that you have chest pains. They pretty much don't care what the cause is, if you've got chest pains, you become one of the top priorities.

I'm guessing this is all precautionary... but I'll be keeping my ears wide open on any forthcoming details!

Here's a tip... if you ever do not want to wait for hours in an Emergency Room waiting area, tell them that you have chest pains. They pretty much don't care what the cause is, if you've got chest pains, you become one of the top priorities.

Good info here.

The latest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LUNG SCRATCH SCRATCHES JACKSON

Chargers WR likely to sit out exhibitions

By Kevin Acee

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 17, 2006

Vincent Jackson returned to the Chargers' facility yesterday, declaring his scratched lung “is not that serious” but acknowledging he could well miss the rest of the preseason. “It's possible we're looking at (playing) the last preseason game,” he said. “If the coaches think I don't have anything to gain or too much to lose, I'll just be ready for (the season opener at) Oakland.”

Jackson was released from the hospital Tuesday after two nights there. He said a device was placed down his throat to stimulate healing where the scratch was. His voice retained a nasal sound yesterday, a result of the excess air remaining in his throat, he said.

“There will be no long-term effects, no breathing problems,” Jackson said. “It's just sore.”

Jackson suffered the scratch in Saturday's exhibition opener when his rib hit his lung. But he still doesn't know how it happened.

“It could have been on that dolly,” he said, referring to the hand truck he mowed down after making a reception just outside the end zone in the first quarter.

Initially ruled a touchdown, that reception was negated by a replay review. Jackson made a diving catch in the end zone two plays later and finished the night with four receptions for 46 yards. He did not leave the game until the end of the first half, when the rest of the starters also departed.

He said he left the field after the touchdown catch and complained of a sore shoulder. But he decided to continue playing. He made two third-down catches on the Chargers' 18-play touchdown drive in the second quarter.

Jackson said he was not aware of any injury until seeing his neck in a mirror after the game.

“I'm on the sideline chilling (during the second half),” he said. “I went in the locker room after the game was over. My neck was a lot bigger than normal. I was like, 'What the hell?' ”

Team medical personnel suggested he be taken to the emergency room.

Jackson is expected to be a significant part of the offense this season. His performance Saturday was considered a strong stride toward that end, as he missed much of last season recovering from nagging leg injuries.

“I don't think he'll be set back at all,” coach Marty Schottenheimer said of Jackson missing the next few weeks. “I think it was evident the other night; he's made really good progress. He's learning how to focus on one play and not get ahead of himself. . . . He's matured as a player.”