[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Noobs & Vets

FishFreak

In my first year of being actively involved on the message board I've quickly observed the following random thoughts:

1) Vets clearly enjoy "hazing" the noobs. It's childish. We all pay the same fee and are entitled to our opinions. If you don't agree with someone, state your case and keep it moving. I personally have thick skin and enjoy it but can read between the lines and tell that some folks get frustrated and turned off by the nasty sarcasm. It's not necessary but fun a hell.

2) I hate it when people respond with:

a) the same stuff stated earlier in a topic or on previous page

:D +1 (what the hell is that? Don't even bother wasting a response.)

c) a bunch of smilies :D:D:D:D:D:D (spare me, wasted response)

3) Gung Ho fans ARE NOT the ultimate source of inforamtion for your teams. Your input is not the final say of all happenings for your respective teams. Folks like Captain Hook, Panther Dave, and Rovers, etc. definately seem to know their stuff but everyone else on the message boards are not breaking laws by disagreeing with you or offering an opinion. Before you go off and respond Rover rage, just know I'm not attacking any of you three personally just using you three as examples.

4) Many people might sound idiotic at times (including myself) and we all have our biases. I'm sensitive towards the Dolphins and C-Pep, others might be towards the Pats, etc. Mplura seems to be a magnet for insults but at least the man keeps things interesting. I don't want to hear the safest, most logical responses all the time. We need folks to throw some gasoline on the fire from time to time and mix things up. So cut guys some slack....sometimes.

Overall, we all check out these message boards for a source of information, share views and offer differing opinions. Nobody is better than the other while all of us feel like we're FF experts and champions. Let's just say I enjoy everyones input and enjoy all the activity. There is nothing better than being in a league of strong, wild personalities that keep it fun for everyone well beyond just football so just remember why we all participate.......FF is fun as hell.

Edited by FishFreak

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, I don't really have a problem with it; for the most part...

- I agree that the "newbie hazing" can be a bit much and don't indulge in it myself; however, aside from a few idiots, most people only jump on noobs who bring it upon themselves. If people would keep their head down and get a feel for the boards before spouting off, it would make things easier (i.e. someone who no one is in a league with nor anyone here has ever heard of showing up and yapping about how great they are; you've gotta prove yourself by contributing good content and reasoned opinions before you get some street cred)

- I hate that stuff too; +1 isn't so bad, really - it's acknowledging that a previous person said all that needs to be said and you agree; simple way to give an opinion; better than restating something already posted - read the darn thread!

- Hook can be a bit peevish at times, but I've never known Panther Dave to be anything but pure class; Rovers, he has his moments either way. You might want to take the approach that they are closer and DO know more about their respective teams than you do yours - especially given your newbie status - we don't know if you know your stuff or are some random idiot. They've been here long enough and established themselves as pretty credible and objective sources for the most part.

- I was with you until you said something complimentary about MPulera. I'm seeing if it's possible to deport him from my state.

In my first year of being actively involved on the message board I've quickly observed the following random thoughts:

1) Vets clearly enjoy "hazing" the noobs. It's childish. We all pay the same fee and are entitled to our opinions. If you don't agree with someone, state your case and keep it moving. I personally have thick skin and enjoy it but can read between the lines and tell that some folks get frustrated and turned off by the nasty sarcasm. It's not necessary but fun a hell.

3) Gung Ho fans ARE NOT the ultimate source of inforamtion for your teams. Your input is not the final say of all happenings for your respective teams. Folks like Captain Hook, Panther Dave, and Rovers, etc. definately seem to know their stuff but everyone else on the message boards are not breaking laws by disagreeing with you or offering an opinion. Before you go off and respond Rover rage, just know I'm not attacking any of you three personally just using you three as examples.

4) Many people might sound idiotic at times (including myself) and we all have our biases. I'm sensitive towards the Dolphins and C-Pep, others might be towards the Pats, etc. Mplura seems to be a magnet for insults but at least the man keeps things interesting. I don't want to hear the safest, most logical responses all the time. We need folks to throw some gasoline on the fire from time to time and mix things up. So cut guys some slack....sometimes.

Overall, we all check out these message boards for a source of information, share views and offer differing opinions. Nobody is better than the other while all of us feel like we're FF experts and champions. Let's just say I enjoy everyones input and enjoy all the activity. There is nothing better than being in a league of strong, wild personalities that keep it fun for everyone well beyond just football so just remember why we all participate.......FF is fun as hell.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses. [/spaceballs]

Atleast someone knows the difference between debating and being a moron!

Okay most of that was crap but I agree with #3. I'm surprised at some of the guys who jerk off their hometown players in here while otherwise seeming level headed. "Hey, Culpepper could really be a good starting FF QB this year folks, he's my sleeper pick...."

I don't do the fan worship thing too much but Tiki Barber is a guy I really admire. Like, to the point where I'd drive up to Jersey for a signing and I'd drive to Canton in a heartbeat if he were ever inducted, and I normally don't do any of that crap. BUT, I think his age, schedule and Jacobs make him a HUGE risk at #5. I could easily see Brown or Jackson outperforming him this year. If you scanned all my FF teams, you'd only see him, Plax, Eli or Shockey once in a while. If they were good values, I took them. Some guys here have the same damn RB or QB on all their teams. It just makes you look like an idiot IMO.

Separate real life from fantasy football. Listen to all sources, be objective...

I agree with a lot of what Chavez has stated. The noob bashing gets a little old after awhile, but sometimes the noob deserves it. If you act like a pri(K, you'll get treated like one. I can see how it can turn a few people away from the boards. However, if they're that thin skinned, they probably don't have much good to say anyway.

I also like the +1 personally.

Atleast someone knows the difference between debating and being a moron!

It's spelled moran you noob.

I actually thought this was going to be a thread for a new BOTH league with 6 noobs vs 6 vets. If anyone is interested in starting that, I want in.

I agree with a lot of what Chavez has stated. The noob bashing gets a little old after awhile, but sometimes the noob deserves it. If you act like a pri(K, you'll get treated like one. I can see how it can turn a few people away from the boards. However, if they're that thin skinned, they probably don't have much good to say anyway.

I also like the +1 personally.

I think it's crucial to the quality of the forum that those who post moronic stuff get blasted. Creates a culture where people tend to think twice before posting, so they bring more to the table....humor, better thought out opinions, etc...if you have Usenet access, go have a look at rec.sport.football.fantasy and see what some of those mouth-breathers are saying. The information here (and the laughs) are worth the price of the Huddle site alone. I find myself reading the articles less, because it's all been discussed here.

I think it's crucial to the quality of the forum that those who post moronic stuff get blasted. Creates a culture where people tend to think twice before posting, so they bring more to the table....humor, better thought out opinions, etc...if you have Usenet access, go have a look at rec.sport.football.fantasy and see what some of those mouth-breathers are saying. The information here (and the laughs) are worth the price of the Huddle site alone. I find myself reading the articles less, because it's all been discussed here.

This part is free! :D