[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favre's Press Conference

Slusy

From Rotoworld:

Brett Favre has called a 12:30 EST press conference Wednesday.

Speculation has immediately started that Favre could be announcing his retirement. None of the local papers or major media have picked up the story yet, but Favre struggled to decide to return for this season and has suffered through a rough training camp.

Thoughts? If he's not retiring, why else would he call an impromptu press conference? Another "I don't know if I'm going to retire or not" debacle?

Would there be such a fuss if this was simply a weekly press conference?

Favre cals press conference. PFT thinks why? To retire?

Maybe he's calling it to apologize to Javon Walker? :D

He does have wednesday press conferences pretty often.

Would there be such a fuss if this was simply a weekly press conference?

Maybe people are simply making more of it than it really is. He's always spoken of loyalty to the team. I really cannot believe he'd up and retire in the middle of training camp...unless some big life event occurred.

Maybe people are simply making more of it than it really is. He's always spoken of loyalty to the team. I really cannot believe he'd up and retire in the middle of training camp...unless some big life event occurred.

i have to agree - not his style

If he was loyal to the team he would have made a decision about whether he was going to retire or not before free agency started, so they could do something, not eat up cap space and complain that the front office wasn't doing enough...

Didn't his wife have cancer a year or two ago? Maybe it has come back, and he has decided he needs to spend more time with her.

He had a lot of things happen in his life the last few years. I think this is just another unsubstaniated rumor.

From CBS Sportsline

Brett Favre, QB GB

News: Contrary to Internet reports, Packers QB Brett Favre's 12:30 a.m. ET press conference is expected to be "nothing out of the ordinary," according to an NFL source. Favre simply moved up his press conference to earlier in the day.

Analysis: Speculation was rampant that Favre could have announced plans for his retirement. It looks like this will be just another run-of-the-mill meeting with the media for the future Hall of Famer. Fantasywise, Favre has slipped into a No. 2 Fantasy QB role, worth owning as a backup but not as a starter, even in deeper leagues. He should be a middle- to late-round pick in drafts.

Picked this up on packerchatters

FALSE ALARM ON FAVRE?

After further review, it now appears that Brett Favre's Wednesday press conference is simply a standard, weekly media get-together.

The root of the problem was that KSTP-TV in Minneapolis sold the thing as an unusual, out-of-the-norm event with this post from a couple of hours ago:

"Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre will hold a news conference at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday in the Lambeau Field media auditorium.

"There's no indication at this point what the legendary Packer quarterback is going to announce. The Packers lost their first preseason game of the year by two touchdowns to the San Diego Chargers."

As it turns out, he's not expected to "announce" anything.

If he was loyal to the team he would have made a decision about whether he was going to retire or not before free agency started, so they could do something, not eat up cap space and complain that the front office wasn't doing enough...

In a way, my point exactly. He did not retire then, so he will not retire now -- solely based on football reasons as in my prior post. What player, who has been the face of such a storied franchise for such a long time and helped lead then back to glory, would not use his leverage and weight to spur the team into getting better?

Personlly, I think we should call John Madden and see what he thinks..."Brett Favre Favred the Brett Favre!"

Interesting, it is no longer up on Rotoworld but it is here:

I just love when an internet site can report can report something and then just pull it back like it never happened. I guess "get it first" has become much more important than "get it right."

I think PFT's Rumor Mill stirred the pot...yet again!

FAVRE RETIRING TODAY?

The early indications based on our discussions with league sources are that Favre will announce his retirement from the NFL at a Wednesday press conference.

As we write this one, we're trying hard not to pull one of those "Favre will retire, unless he doesn't" routines. Instead, our goal is merely to share the information that we currently have. This isn't a report that he will retire, and if he does retire we won't claim "as first reported on PFT". Our goal at this point is only to inform.

So here's what we know -- a response from one member of the organization to a direct question regarding whether Favre is calling it quits today did not have the "No way in hell!" or "I'm looking into this right now!" quality that would be expected upon hearing that The Franchise is walking away in the middle of training camp.

Favre went back and forth in the offseason regarding whether to return for another year of football. Though the team was under the impression for most of the offseason that Favre was indeed coming back, Peter King of Sports Illustrated reporting earlier this week that Favre did not make a final decision until he heard former NFL quarterback Phil Simms explain on Sirius NFL Radio that Favre should play as long as he is able to play.

The abrupt decision, if he does indeed retire, would come after a preseason game in which Favre got the potato sack treatment from the Chargers' front seven, due in large part to a young, inexperienced offensive line that is learning a new blocking scheme.

Taking over for Favre would be 2005 first-rounder Aaron Rodgers. The move also likely would put the Packers in the market for a veteran quarterback. Kerry Collins is the most recognizable name on the shelf.

Again, we're not saying that Favre is retiring. But the signs are surely pointing in that direction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PFT Rumor Mill

They've now retracted this story, blaming it on...you guessed it...running with a rumor :D

Here's PFT's retraction;

FALSE ALARM ON FAVRE

After further review, it now appears that Brett Favre's Wednesday press conference is simply a standard, weekly media get-together.

The root of the problem was that KSTP-TV in Minneapolis sold the thing as an unusual, out-of-the-norm event with this post from a couple of hours ago:

"Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre will hold a news conference at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday in the Lambeau Field media auditorium.

"There's no indication at this point what the legendary Packer quarterback is going to announce. The Packers lost their first preseason game of the year by two touchdowns to the San Diego Chargers."

As it turns out, he's not expected to "announce" anything.

Sheesh. You'd think that a TV station in a rival's market not far from Wisconsin would know this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course in the story PFT first ran with, it was all about having discussions with their league sources.

The early indications based on our discussions with league sources are that Favre will announce his retirement from the NFL at a Wednesday press conference.

What happened to PFT's "discussions with their league sources"? :D