[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FYI - Dayne can't even climb stairs without help.

cliaz

Even though this is from CSB sportslines I figured I'd post it:

News: Broncos RB Ron Dayne, who injured his toe in the preseason opener against Detroit and was diagnosed with 'turf toe,' struggled to climb the steps leading to the cafeteria Wednesday, using the railing for support. Dayne has missed four practices this week and doesn't think he'll be ready to play vs. Tennessee in the team's second preseason game. "I don't think (I'll play)," Dayne said. "We'll see."

Somewhere, Mike Anderson is smiling...

Looks like Tatum's stock just jumped up.

Why exactly is Mike Anderson smiling, and why would T Bell's stock jump anywhere?

Dayne has a bad case of turf toe. Shanahan said on a radio talk show this morning that if this weekend's game against TEN was a regular season game that Dayne would be suiting up. That leaves 2 impressions - that the DEN coaching staff is holding Dayne out rather than Dayne making that decision himself, and that Dayne's spot on the roster is reasonably safe (otherwise they'd be letting him try to play through the injury).

As to M Anderson, the DEN coaching staff clearly feels it can get out of either Dayne or M Bell exactly what it got out of Anderson last year, but at a better price. As for T Bell's stock shooting up, last I saw he was still #2 on the depth chart and was still a CoP RB. If anyone's stock shot up, it would be Mike Bell's.

Why exactly is Mike Anderson smiling, and why would T Bell's stock jump anywhere?

Dayne has a bad case of turf toe. Shanahan said on a radio talk show this morning that if this weekend's game against TEN was a regular season game that Dayne would be suiting up. That leaves 2 impressions - that the DEN coaching staff is holding Dayne out rather than Dayne making that decision himself, and that Dayne's spot on the roster is reasonably safe (otherwise they'd be letting him try to play through the injury).

As to M Anderson, the DEN coaching staff clearly feels it can get out of either Dayne or M Bell exactly what it got out of Anderson last year, but at a better price. As for T Bell's stock shooting up, last I saw he was still #2 on the depth chart and was still a CoP RB. If anyone's stock shot up, it would be Mike Bell's.

OK, so you got me padding my posts on the Mike Anderson part...However, I partly disagree with you on the second point.

With Dayne out, how would both Bell's stock not rise? That's one less back to take reps and play in the preseason game(s). They both get more looks and more work and can further separate themselves from the guy who was the number 3 and who did add a spark to the running game last year in a couple of big spots. I know I only mentioned Tatum above but you're right about Mike...he gets a boost as well.

As far as Tatum is concerned, he does not have to look behind him at Dayne. He can just look up at Mike Bell, so IMO his stock does rise.

Maybe I am not making sense in that my thoughts are not as well articulated as I'd like...but I know what I am trying to say. It may not be coming out right.

OK, so you got me padding my posts on the Mike Anderson part...However, I partly disagree with you on the second point.

With Dayne out, how would both Bell's stock not rise? That's one less back to take reps and play in the preseason game(s). They both get more looks and more work and can further separate themselves from the guy who was the number 3 and who did add a spark to the running game last year in a couple of big spots. I know I only mentioned Tatum above but you're right about Mike...he gets a boost as well.

As far as Tatum is concerned, he does not have to look behind him at Dayne. He can just look up at Mike Bell, so IMO his stock does rise.

Maybe I am not making sense in that my thoughts are not as well articulated as I'd like...but I know what I am trying to say. It may not be coming out right.

Actually, this has been hashed out so much that the fault is probably mine in assuming that the relationship/workload between the DEN RBs is common knowledge here.

Based upon comments by Shanahan, GM Ted Sunquist, the beat writers, and the way camp has gone so far, it would appear that nothing has changed in regard to T Bell's workload. He has a history that shows so far - again, this has been backed upon by coaching staff comments and the way he's been used so far in camp, as well as past regular season history & stats - that shows he will only be used in a limited capacity. I've posted a few times about how his ypc falls off the table after 10 carries in a game. I provided the numbers that can be seen at FF University under T Bell.

What that seems to mean is that T Bell will get a certain limited workload regardless of who is the starter. T Bell is stuck at the #2 RB, which means he's the first put in to spell the starter. That's why when M Bell jumped to the #1 RB based upon his work in camp that Dayne, who was listed at #1, was dropped to #3 behind T Bell. The #1 RB & #3 RB revolve around T Bell at #2. It was the same way with Anderson as the #1 RB last year. If Anderson would have gotten hurt for an extended time, Dayne would have leapt from the #3 RB right past T Bell at #2 to the #1 RB.

In other words, it doesn't matter what happens between Dayne & M Bell, unless both are incapacitated or their performance drops off the face of the map - T Bell will only get a certain number of touches that can only be lessened by either M Bell or Dayne busting out & being spectacular (which some of the DEN players & coaches have hinted at when they speak of M Bell, btw), but they most probably won't increase.

In short, what that means is that T Bell's ranking shouldn't be affected at all by what happens to Dayne. It does enhance M Bell by quite a bit, though. When M Bell looks over his shoulder, he can look right past T Bell and directly at Dayne. If Dayne isn't there, that only solidifies his hold on the #1 RB spot.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Actually, this has been hashed out so much that the fault is probably mine in assuming that the relationship/workload between the DEN RBs is common knowledge here.

Based upon comments by Shanahan, GM Ted Sunquist, the beat writers, and the way camp has gone so far, it would appear that nothing has changed in regard to T Bell's workload. He has a history that shows so far - again, this has been backed upon by coaching staff comments and the way he's been used so far in camp, as well as past regular season history & stats - that shows he will only be used in a limited capacity. I've posted a few times about how his ypc falls off the table after 10 carries in a game. I provided the numbers that can be seen at FF University under T Bell.

What that seems to mean is that T Bell will get a certain limited workload regardless of who is the starter. T Bell is stuck at the #2 RB, which means he's the first put in to spell the starter. That's why when M Bell jumped to the #1 RB based upon his work in camp that Dayne, who was listed at #1, was dropped to #3 behind T Bell. The #1 RB & #3 RB revolve around T Bell at #2. It was the same way with Anderson as the #1 RB last year. If Anderson would have gotten hurt for an extended time, Dayne would have leapt from the #3 RB right past T Bell at #2 to the #1 RB.

In other words, it doesn't matter what happens between Dayne & M Bell, unless both are incapacitated or their performance drops off the face of the map - T Bell will only get a certain number of touches that can only be lessened by either M Bell or Dayne busting out & being spectacular (which some of the DEN players & coaches have hinted at when they speak of M Bell, btw), but they most probably won't increase.

In short, what that means is that T Bell's ranking shouldn't be affected at all by what happens to Dayne. It does enhance M Bell by quite a bit, though. When M Bell looks over his shoulder, he can look right past T Bell and directly at Dayne. If Dayne isn't there, that only solidifies his hold on the #1 RB spot.

makes sense, and all actions/tendencies shown by shannarat backs this up as well

I am with you now. Very logical and well put. My bad for not picking up on this in other threads. This makes complete sense.

See, this is exactly why I am on this board...great input from those who know a heck of a lot more about football and their teams than I do! :D

Dayne has a bad case of turf toe.

Better hope it's not too bad, that can be very painful and has a tendency to linger. Then when you think it's all better, it flares up again. I'm not surprised to hear he has trouble walking.

So what you are saying is if M Bell gets benched for fumblitis then Dayne would be #1. Correct?

So, Dayne is hurt or hurting.

An undrafted rookie, is vaulted to #1 on the depth chart, carries 7 times for 21yds, loses a fumble yet is suddenly beyond reproach?

yeah it's preseason but tell me SA or LJ or LT had the same stat line in the 1st preseason game. All would remain the undisputed starters.

Anyways, I don't understand how this isn't good news for T.Bell...

-The #1 ahead of him struggled in his first stint in the spotlight. Yeah it's the preseason, blah blah blah, but no sane person can say Shanahan liked what he saw from M.Bell in that first game. If M.Bell is going to take over Anderson's role of moving the chains, maintaining drives, and scoring TDs, there's no way Shanahan is going to forget M.Bell's first shot at the #1.

-The #3 behind him has 'a toe' which, from the Denver injury news propaganda network, could be just precautionary or could mean he lost his toe in a terrible rabid mountain lion attack.