[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

i_am_the_swammi continue over here (NFC East)

cliaz

Really? you see a QB in the NFC East better than McNabb?

Please share your wisdom with the group. And please don't bring Eli Manning to the table yet...a 3rd year Qb who disappeared down the stretch last year? People are saying he will break out this year. I doubt it...in fact, I see it as a continuation from last year. Teams were beginning to read him by the end of last year, hence his struggles. I see even more of it this year as he will no longer surprise anyone, will have to read new blitz packages, etc. And his #1 WR is still an uniterested Burress, who lost his way as the season wore on in 2005.

There is no question McNabb is the best QB in the division. Here is how I see the divsion breaking down, ranking-wise, by position:

QB: PHL, DAL, NYG, WAS

RB: NYG, WAS, PHL, DAL

WR: DAL, WAS, NYG, PHL

OL: PHL, NYG, WAS, DAL

TE: call it even, they are all pretty solid...perhaps a slight nod to Shockey?

DL: PHL, NYG, DAL, WAS

LB: DAL, NYG, PHL, WAS

DB: PHL, DAL, WAS, NYG

K: DAL, PHL, NYG, WAS

Other than WR, Philly is at or near the top of nearly every position.

I guess its why many publications are now picking them to be at the top of the division.

I wanted to start another thread over here so we didn't hijack Skylive5's one.

While I respect your opinion on this I will say that people are way too quick to write off Mark Brunell like he is destined to crash and burn and bring the whole skins organization down in flames. I’m sorry but Mark (healthy) has the three wide receivers plus a TE that will make him very, VERY dangerous and every coach in the NFL east knows that and if they don’t, they will get burned.

Just look back to the preseason. Lloyd’s first catch was a beautiful diving catch. People want to write him down as a bust or whatever (granted he is about as smart as a fossilized turd and can’t remember more than 10 plays from the playbook.) but he has the athletic ability to make those tough grabs that moss cannot.

Just he and Moss alone bring up Brunell. And we don’t even have to talk about Cooley, everyone knows about him.

The O line is stronger and hopefully Portis will not have this injury lingering around through out the season.

Al Saunders will bring the Redskins Offensive firepower up at least three notches this year.

The Redskins offense alone will (could) be the top in the NFC east.

And on the Defensive side of the ball, well you all know full well the skins D is nasty.

Granted Brunell is getting up there but I hear no one talking bad about Brad Johnson who is 2 years older than him. True he has a Super Bowl win under his belt but still.

People are so freaking unbelievable quick to write off the Redskins year in and year out and look what happened last year. The skins won that division; there is no doubt about it. That BS call (Alstotts non-crossing the goal line gift) down in Tampa gave them the gift win and if the skins would have had that call go the right way, they would have won the division and not the Giants.

I know full well anything can happen. For all we know the Giants Eli will click right away and Shocky could be the NFL leading TE in catches and touchdowns. Who knows.

but FWIW - the Skins win this division.

:D

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are so freaking unbelievable quick to write off the Redskins year in and year out and look what happened last year. The skins won that division; there is no doubt about it. That BS call (Alstotts non-crossing the goal line gift) down in Tampa gave them the gift win and if the skins would have had that call go the right way, they would have won the division and not the Giants.

Does anyone's favorite teams ever just simply 'lose' or 'not do enough to win'. Everyone whines, their team would have, could have, should have.......stop making excuses and being a :D !!!!

Now, back to your scheduled program.....

Does anyone's favorite teams ever just simply 'lose' or 'not do enough to win'. Everyone whines, their team would have, could have, should have.......stop making excuses and being a :D !!!!

Had the Steelers lost to the Lions in week 17 last year the Chiefs WOULD HAVE went to the playoffs and would have been the most feared team on a roll, such as the Steelers went in on a roll :D

Edited by Hat Trick

First off Menudo I'm not making excuses for my team. I accepted the fact that they made it into the playoffs as a wild card. I was pointing out a fact that they are being underrated as normal and that they are at the level to take the division. EDIT - I am simply express my opinion on a bad call. Have you heard me complain about it the day after it happened?

Second off do not take your anger at seahawk fans b1tch about the superbowl out on me. Re-read my post and think before you post next time.

Edited by cliaz

A completely biased prediction for the NFC East

1. Philly

2. NYG

3. Washington

4. Dallas

Actually.. I think it is wide open for everyone.. But Philly haters get me fired up.

I agree with Swammi's post in the other thread. Whoever stays healthy and things click for, that is who will win the East.

I love the fact that Philly is so underestimated. Go Birds!

New York Giants 2005 11-5

Total Offense #3 in NFL

Rushing yds #6 in NFL

Passing yds #11 in NFL

Rushing TDs #10 in NFL

Passing TDs #8 in NFL

Total Defense #24 in NFL

Rushing yds allowed #12 in NFL

Passing yds allowed #27 in NFL

Rushing TDs allowed #15 in NFL

Passing TDs allowed #19 in NFL

D lineup, week 16 2005/projected 2006 starting lineup

LE M.Strahan/M.Strahan

LT K.Clancy/William Joseph

RT F.Robbins/Fred Robbins

RE O.Umenyiora/Osi Umenyiora/Justin Tuck/Mathias Kiwanuka

SLB R.Torbor/Lavar Arrington

MLB C.Blackburn/Antonio Pierce

WLB N.Greisen/Carlos Emmons

LCB W.Allen/ Sam Madison

RCB C.Deloatch/Corey Webster

SS G.Wilson/Gibril Wilson

FS B.Alexander/Will Demps

The offense hasn't changed, but the D has gotten significant upgrades at 7 positions. That seems to me, despite a tougher schedule, that the Giants finish at 11-5 again this year, if not better. E Manning in only his 2nd year threw for over 3700 yds, where McNabb has only broken 3400 yds passing once in his career. But Manning is still early in his learning curve - he projects to get better as he moves up that curve this year, which will seperate him even more than he was last year from McNabb.

Philadelphia Eagles 2005 6-10

Total Offense #15 in NFL

Rushing yds #28 in NFL

Passing yds #8 in NFL

Rushing TDs #20 in NFL

Passing TDs #16 in NFL

Total Defense #23 in NFL

Rushing yds allowed #21 in NFL

Passing yds allowed #21 in NFL

Rushing TDs allowed #21 in NFL

Passing TDs allowed #26 in NFL

Now, the Giants were better in every major offensive category except one - passing yds, where they were neck & neck with the Eagles. The Giants had a better run D even without their improvements on that side of the ball, and were about equal in pass D - again, before their improvements on D.

The Giants were much better than PHI last year, and improved dramatically on the D side of the ball while keeping their dynamic O intact. PHI hasn't improved appreciably, with their signing of WR Jabar Gaffney being their big offensive offseason splash (in other words, not helping their O at all) and Westbrook is already having health problems. Brodrick Bunkley ought to help the run D, but I don't see a lot of help for the weak pass D.

I don't know how anyone in their right minds can say that McNabb is a better QB than Eli Manning, or that PHI has any shot at winning the NFC East.

Disclaimer - I am not a fan of any of the NFC East teams, in fact, I think they are almost always over-rated by the media every year. But this year, the Giants have the look of being a very tough team to beat.

Edited by Bronco Billy

It really is going to be a tough division to win this year. Every team has its advantages and disadvantages going forward. I think that the two most stable teams in the NFC East are NY and Was. Dallas has T.O., Bleedslow and no real running threat. Philly has a constantly overused and dinged up back with no real #1 WR but I never count out a Ried/McNabb run offense. The way it shakes out as I see it is: Was, Ny, Phi, Dal.

Thanks for starting a new thread, cliaz...good stuff to be had, as perhaps we'll get some good insight into each's homer's assessment of their own squad.

I won't rehash my entire post from earlier, but essentially, I think the keys to any football team's success are as follows: QB play, OL play, DL play. If you can have positive contribution from each of those area's, you are off to a great start. And, as every team experiences, you need the breaks to go your way.

I think the Eagles are well above average in each of these areas. The OL has been together for several years unchanged and remains a strong suit....the DL, plagued by injuries last year, has three #1 picks (Patterson, McDougle & Bunkley) inside, plus Kearse, Howard and Coles rotating at DE...and the healthy, motivated QB in his prime poses a bigger advantage than many here beleive will result.

The Eagles went 0-6 against the division last year with (1) a mobile QB saddled with a hernia for 9 games and out the final six, (2) their #1 WR not talking to said QB for 1st half of season, then suspended for the year, (3) a #2 WR out with an Achilles injury, and (4) injured #1 RB for the final 6 games. All of these issues have disappeared, and the team has improved defensively at DL and LB.

I don't expect them to dominate their division this year...just split. 3-3. That alone will turn their record from 6-10 to 9-7. Add in the fact that they play a last-place schedule versus last year's Super Bowl schedule, and I think they can pick up another win they might not have had last year.

10-6 sounds right, and should be enough, to earn at least a share of the NFC East crown.

Sorry cliaz...I am just not as sold on Brunell as you are. He surprised me mightily for the first 10 games last year, but he was an "I told you so" for the final stretch. Not sure if it was a tired arm, or defenses reading him better, but Brunell didn't seem to have the juice needed to lead a team into the playoffs. Add in a Portis injury that may be a lingering problem over the entire season, and the Skins appear to have more questions than answers entering the season. I was the first one to say that on paper, I like their weapons as much as any other team, perhaps tops in the division.

If Brunell can be a tad better than mediocre, this team wins the division.

The Giants were better in every major offensive category except one - passing yds, where they were neck & neck with the Eagles. The Giants had a better run D even without their improvements on that side of the ball, and were about equal in pass D - again, before their improvements on D.

The Giants were much better than PHI last year, and improved dramatically on the D side of the ball while keeping their dynamic O intact. PHI hasn't improved appreciably, with their signing of WR Jabar Gaffney being their big offensive offseason splash (in other words, not helping their O at all) and Westbrook is already having health problems. Brodrick Bunkley ought to help the run D, but I don't see a lot of help for the weak pass D.

I don't know how anyone in their right minds can say that McNabb is a better QB than Eli Manning, or that PHI has any shot at winning the NFC East.

Some solid points, but you are comparing a NY Giant team with a Philly squad that was incomplete. Comparing the offensive production of Manning, Barber, Burress and Shockey with those of the fill-ins that played for Philly last year (remember, the Eagle starters for games 11-16 last year were McMahon (QB), Moats (RB) and Greg Lewis/Brown at WR) is rather unfair. None of them, other than Brown, start this year.

Would you honestly tell me the Giants would have performed as they did without Manning, Barber AND Burress? That is what the Eagles had to do last year.

The Eagles signed a top flight DE to pair with Kearse, and resigned Barber to play OLB alongside their Pro Bowl MLB. They get back their one-time #1 pick interior lineman, McDougle. Their defense will be significantly improved this season. Helping matters will be the fact that opponents won't have the ball as long and often, due an offense that won't be 3-and-out as often.

I too beleive the Giants will be tough...I have them finishing 2nd, with a 9-7 or 10-6 record, about the same as the Eagles. And given the tougher schedule they play, they may indeed be the better team in order to achieve this result.

But, based on your comments about the Eagles, you are going to be surprised with what they accomplish this year, without having the headaches that were present last year.

Yet another unbiased prediction for the NFC East:

Dallas

NY Giants

Eagles

Redskins

Of course they might all go 10-6 and send 3 teams to the playoffs.

I'll tell you this much, whoever does win the NFC East wont go far in the playoffs. They will be too dinged up to go far. It's a brutal division.

Too dinged up, or not as good or talented as Carolina & Seattle?? tough division, no doubt, but Seattle & Carolina are still the teams to beat in the NFC.

Some solid points, but you are comparing a NY Giant team with a Philly squad that was incomplete. Comparing the offensive production of Manning, Barber, Burress and Shockey with those of the fill-ins that played for Philly last year (remember, the Eagle starters for games 11-16 last year were McMahon (QB), Moats (RB) and Greg Lewis/Brown at WR) is rather unfair. None of them, other than Brown, start this year.

The Eagles were 4-5 with McNabb & Westbrook both starting last year, and they still had the Giants twice, SEA, & WAS left on their schedule last year after McNabb got hurt! They were looking at 7-9 at the best even with all their starters. Good effort at excuse making for a team that missed its window at the SB, though.

They get back their one-time #1 pick interior lineman, McDougle.

Pardon me again, but:

McDougle, 3 year career totals:

19 games played 14 tackles 4 assists 2 sacks 2 passes defended.

I'll bet you think he's the best D-lineman in the division, too!

Edited by Bronco Billy

Too dinged up, or not as good or talented as Carolina & Seattle?? tough division, no doubt, but Seattle & Carolina are still the teams to beat in the NFC.

+1

Yes, they are both currently the teams to beat, but I wouldn't put them too high on a pedastal just yet.

In 2005, Seattle was the home-field advantage benefactor of piling up wins in a weak division, and has lost an important cog in their run offense and pass protection. With today's loss of Jeremy Stevens, and Darrell Jackson's knee still a concern, they have their own issues that need to be overcome.

Carolina looks the toughest on paper, and having add a solid #2WR in Keyshawn makes them even better. Their only undoing could be at RB, where an unproven runner/pass protector like Williams could be thrust into action sooner than desired if Foster continues his injury-laden ways.

Any team from the NFC East that makes its way into the playoffs will be playoff-ready from having to face each other all year long. I doubt any NFC team would be looking forward to a home game with the Giants, Eagles, Cowboys or Redskins. The home team wouldn't be favored by much.

On a side note, Detroit is my sleeper pick to win the Central this year.

Agree 100%

The Eagles were 4-5 with McNabb & Westbrook both starting last year, and they still had the Giants twice, SEA, & WAS left on their schedule last year after McNabb got hurt! They were looking at 7-9 at the best even with all their starters. Good effort at excuse making for a team that missed its window at the SB, though.

Uh, the 4-5 QB to which you are referring was playing with a hernia....a hernia.

That means he was unable to avoid a rush with much agility. That means he was unable to push off his back foot with much force, often short-arming throws to WRs. It means he was unable to escape the pocket with his normal speed and pick up yards on the ground.

Additionally, the same 4-5 QB had a #1 WR who was not speaking with him for the 1st six games, then suspended. This same WR who was calling him out publically, and dividing a locker room against him.

All this, and the team still basically went .500.

Geez, I know you post here a lot, but you can't seriously be making a point that the Eagles of 2005 should be judged without considering all the above issues.

Your attempt at just trying to stir things up is becoming too apparent.

Uh, the 4-5 QB to which you are referring was playing with a hernia....a hernia.

That means he was unable to avoid a rush with much agility. That means he was unable to push off his back foot with much force, often short-arming throws to WRs. It means he was unable to escape the pocket with his normal speed and pick up yards on the ground.

Additionally, the same 4-5 QB had a #1 WR who was not speaking with him for the 1st six games, then suspended. This same WR who was calling him out publically, and dividing a locker room against him.

Geez, I know you post here a lot, but you can't seriously be making a point that the Eagles of 2005 should be judged without considering all the above issues.

Attempts to stir things up? How about looking at your team without homers glasses on? So you say that McNabb played with a hernia? Then McMahon should have been in the games. If McMahon wasn't competent in your mind, then whose fault is that?

PHI pried TO away from BAL - screwing over BAL in the process (though in my mind they did BAL a huge favor. A midseason murder & trial when Ray-Ray finally snuffed out TO would have completely destroyed that team for a decade or more) and then has the temerity to whine when TO & his mega-ego threw the whole team under the bus? :D Please. But then you argue that the team will be better without TO this year - who exactly replaces Owens productivity? Gaffney? :D

What say you about Westbrook already being hurt with his injury history? There's no one in the PHI backfield that can replace him.

PHI had its shot. It lost 3 straight conference titles before losing in the SB. The window has closed, and now PHI has to rebuild. It happens all the time to all teams that are bonafide SB contenders. Be prepared for the worst my friend, PHI is not a very good team this year (just like they weren't last year).

Attempts to stir things up? How about looking at your team without homers glasses on? So you say that McNabb played with a hernia? Then McMahon should have been in the games. If McMahon wasn't competent in your mind, then whose fault is that? coaches--addressed for 2006 with addition of Garcia

PHI pried TO away from BAL - screwing over BAL in the process (though in my mind they did BAL a huge favor. A midseason murder & trial when Ray-Ray finally snuffed out TO would have completely destroyed that team for a decade or more) and then has the temerity to whine when TO & his mega-ego threw the whole team under the bus? :D Please. But then you argue that the team will be better without TO this year - who exactly replaces Owens productivity? Gaffney? :Dnope, no one replaces a Top 5 talent--but the WRs are better than they were 3 years ago before he came, and chemistry-wise, the team is better now that he is gone

What say you about Westbrook already being hurt with his injury history? There's no one in the PHI backfield that can replace him.agreed--the same way no one can replace Portis or Barber. the injury Westbrook had right now is exceptionally minor--they know what Westbrook brings, and they are holding him out more for precaution than necessity

PHI had its shot. It lost 3 straight conference titles before losing in the SB. The window has closed, and now PHI has to rebuild. It happens all the time to all teams that are bonafide SB contenders. Be prepared for the worst my friend, PHI is not a very good team this year (just like they weren't last year). I disagree completely..."windows" are excuses. Good organizations stay good, with very few down years. The manage the cap better than their opponents, and plug in personnel that is a solid fit for what they trying to do. Look at NE. Look at CAR. Look at PIT. All solidly-run organizations, all perrenial playoff contenders. I see the Eagles organization as one that other teams try to emulate. Even the other teams acknowledge that the Eagles are a well-run show.

We're never gonna agree here, BB.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

I_am_the_excuse_maker :D

I_am_the_excuse_maker :D

lol...i am sure you can't be saying that McNabb playing with a hernia for half the year, then missing the final 7 games, didn't affect the 6-10 Eagles? Injuries are reality, not excuses.

I am sure if the Steeler lost Ben, or Ward, or Parker, they'd be significatnly less potent.