[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DD

HowboutthemCowboys

Wrong team and wrong player - this thread is about DD - hijackers! Is anyone even taking a late round flyer on this guy?? I'm treating like kryptonite - I'll only consider him on the WW after the draft...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

Another example of Fantasy Football causing a slanted view on NFL performances. Aikman was not a good fantasy football QB because of the system he was in, but, Aikman was a very good NFL QB.

:D even when you're not sucking directly on rothlisberger's sack, you're still sucking on it.

edit: dayum! you couldn't even wait long enough to start the direct sucking for me to get that crack in. :D

Please give me your opinion on Ben Roethlisberger's first two seasons in the NFL.......

Edited by Azazello1313

As a fellow Bills fan, I can attest (as much as I hated him back then) that no, he does not suck.

It cracks me up when someone says someone is "a PART of the system". Emmitt sucked too huh? He was a part of the same system.

Thats what makes good players great. Being a part of a system that works for them.

Pretty sure I said the "suck" portion of my post was fishing . . .

Anyway, the vast majority of players (to an extent) are products of the system they're in. Some shine no matter what environment you put them in, others can still hold their own, and yet others will suck if you take away their supporting cast. Emmitt Smith was clearly an excellent back, as was evidenced by a career-long body of work where he turned in stellar season after stellar season . . . but he was definitely helped by that O-line.

:D

"Part of the system" = "I don't want to give him the credit that he is due."

"Please give me your opinion on Ben Roethlisberger's first two seasons in the NFL......." = "golly, I wish I could shine that dude's nob!"

As an aside, part of the system means part of the system (at least when I say it it does).

:D Since he is a Pats fan.

I am somewhat flattered that someone actually remembers me . . . pardon me while I take a moment for myself.

Pats rule.

pedestrian enough to be a 1st. ballet HoF'er. :D

where do you think all this is coming from? The guy never should've made it on the first ballot - the rings are the only reason he did. Way I see it, rings shouldn't be a (big) consideration in the HOF voting.

As in Tom Brady?

Brady's a product of the system - no doubt. He's also had some pretty good seasons w/o Michael Irvin and Emmitt Smith types to support him . . .

Anyway, if you think you're getting to me by bringing up Brady (b/c I'm a Pats fan), you're barking up the wrong tree. The few of those here who actually remember me might recall that I hate Brady.

I don't think that Aikman should be in Canton, but I wouldn't say that he "wasn't that good", either. It's not his fault that he played on a team that featured the run and had good enough defenses to play conseratively. When opposing defenses keyed on Emmitt, Aikman played well. I think that the comparison to Roethlisberger is a good one.

It's not his fault that he played on a team that featured the run and had good enough defenses to play conseratively.

Good point, but it dovetails into several other arguments - we'll save those for another day.

Brady's a product of the system - no doubt. He's also had some pretty good seasons w/o Michael Irvin and Emmitt Smith types to support him . . .

Anyway, if you think you're getting to me by bringing up Brady (b/c I'm a Pats fan), you're barking up the wrong tree. The few of those here who actually remember me might recall that I hate Brady.

I'm not trying to fish. I'm just stating that Brady is both great, and a product of a system, similar to Aikman. I do beleive Brady is one of the greatest to ever play, and I think its because he found a system that he fits into perfectly.

Wrong team and wrong player - this thread is about DD - hijackers! Is anyone even taking a late round flyer on this guy?? I'm treating like kryptonite - I'll only consider him on the WW after the draft...

I'd consider him in maybe the 8th or 9th round but no way he lasts that long in my draft...

Oh BTW freakin' hijackers...Aikman rules! :D

I'm not trying to fish. I'm just stating that Brady is both great, and a product of a system, similar to Aikman. I do beleive Brady is one of the greatest to ever play, and I think its because he found a system that he fits into perfectly.

Agreed, mostly. I don't think I'd put Aikman in the same class as Brady, simply because Troy never exhibited the ability to carry the team on his arm for any appreciable period of time. In my opinion, Brady's been a lot more central to the Pats' success than Aikman (seemingly) was to the Boys'.

I'd consider him in maybe the 8th or 9th round but no way he lasts that long in my draft...

Oh BTW freakin' hijackers...Aikman rules! :D

Dom deserves to have his posts hijacked - if the poonan could stay healthy for 6 minutes, I might have some sympathy for him. That said, I actually feel bad for the guy - bad knees suck.

Comparing their systems during the SB seasons...

RBs: Cowboys were a lot better

WRs: Cowboys were slightly better (Irvin/Harper vs. Branch/Givens/Brown)

TEs: Cowboys were a lot better (apologies to Graham, but Novacek was a stud)

OLs: Cowboys were a little better

K: Pats by far

D: Pats were a little better

Coaching: Pats by a mile

Agreed, mostly. I don't think I'd put Aikman in the same class as Brady, simply because Troy never exhibited the ability to carry the team on his arm for any appreciable period of time. In my opinion, Brady's been a lot more central to the Pats' success than Aikman (seemingly) was to the Boys'.

^^^

Edited by Bill Swerski

Oh, I agree with that. I believe Brady is one of the ten greatest quarterbacks ever. I think Aikman is hof good, just not first ballot.

Oh, I agree with that. I believe Brady is one of the ten greatest quarterbacks ever.

So, he's better than Marino, Montana, Fouts, Elway, Unitas, Fran Tarkenton, Otto Graham, Steve Young, Warren Moon, and Len Dawson were? Perhaps in another five years, but not now.

better than Steve Young?Yes.

Steve Young regular season: 33,124 pass yds (64.3%), 232 pass TDs, 107 INTs, 4239 rush yds, 43 rush TDs

Steve Young post-season: 3326 pass yds (62.0%), 20 pass TDs, 13 INTs, 585 rush yds, 8 rush TDs

7 Pro Bowls, 1 SB appearance, 1 SB title (325 pass yds, 6 TDs)

Tom Brady regular season: 18,035 pass yds (61.9%), 123 pass TDs, 66 INTs, 333 rush yds, 3 rush TDs

Tom Brady post-season: 2493 pass yds (61.3%), 15 pass TDs, 5 INTs, 51 rush yds, 2 rush TDs

3 Pro Bowls, 3 SB appearances, 3 SB titles (735 pass yds, 6 TDs)

Tom needs a good five or six years before he can be compared to Steve Young.

Steve Young regular season: 33,124 pass yds (64.3%), 232 pass TDs, 107 INTs, 4239 rush yds, 43 rush TDs

Steve Young post-season: 3326 pass yds (62.0%), 20 pass TDs, 13 INTs, 585 rush yds, 8 rush TDs

Tom Brady regular season: 18,035 pass yds (61.9%), 123 pass TDs, 66 INTs, 333 rush yds, 3 rush TDs

Tom Brady post-season: 2493 pass yds (61.3%), 15 pass TDs, 5 INTs, 51 rush yds, 2 rush TDs

I don't know that I'll ever compare Brady to Steve Young.

IMO, Brady is a great QB. Young was a great QB and a great football player.

how about some stats that compare the 2 at the same point in their careers?

I thought this was about DD. :D I have heard DD is running OK, but not playing this week.

On Wali Lundy starting this week.

(on RB Vernand Morency starting) “No, he’s not going to start. Wali Lundy will, and then Vernand will play. I think it will be Wali, Vernand and Damien Rhodes will handle the game at halfback this week.”

how about some stats that compare the 2 at the same point in their careers?

And that will show what? More SB rings for Brady because he played with better defenses?

I wouldn't be shocked if Brady played another 10 years and EVENTUALLY became a better QB than Steve Young, but to make that claim at this point in Brady's career is just ridiculous. He's not even in the same league right now.