[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need help with league

Sigalf03

So this is my 3rd year as the Commisoner with my local league. We decided to make a few changes at this year. Namely keeping two players and catching up with the times and making QB touchdowns 4 points instead of six. I posted a huge board at the draft with all the rules on it before the draft and made several reminders to people to look it over. There were two people that were not at the draft. One of them is new to the league and had his dad draft for him (who is also in the leage and a TERRIBLE drafter). The issue now is that the guy that wasn't their thinks that the QB scoring rules are bull sh$t and is now starting to get the people that took QBs with high picks to go along with him. His complaint is that their are only 8 "good" RBs and after that you are forced to take something else, namley a QB. Well at the 8th spot, his draft position, C. Williams, R. Brown, L. Jordan, and R. Johnson were all availabe, yet his dad took Payton Manning.

To make a long story short, can anyone find a link to some discussions on this? I tried searching in the huddle and couldn't find anything, but I am really bad at seaching the boards. Or if anyone has any suggestions on how to explain it to this idiot that their is nothing unfair about the scoring system, I could use the advice. I have already told him that it evens out the playing field a little since QBs score more points and that most leagues are going to that system, but to no avial. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

To explain the logic of QB's getting 4 instead of 6 points for TD's, ask him list all the RB's or WR's to score 25+ TD's in a season.

Then ask him to list all the QB's who have scored 25+ TD's in a season.

If he doesn't understand after those two questions, there's only two reasons.

A} He's incredibly stupid.

or

B} He's being purposefully obtuse.

To explain the logic of QB's getting 4 instead of 6 points for TD's, ask him list all the RB's or WR's to score 25+ TD's in a season.

Then ask him to list all the QB's who have scored 25+ TD's in a season.

If he doesn't understand after those two questions, there's only two reasons.

A} He's incredibly stupid.

or

B} He's being purposefully obtuse.

I look at it this way....it's a little different....

you start:

1 QB

2 RB

3 WR plus 1 TE

the idea is to have each grouping equal eachother in points with a freak week here and there in any position...

having a QB get 6 pts per TD doesn't change their value any more than 4 TD's as you only start one anyways and the dropoff at the position...

I don't compare QB's with RB's or WR's...rather, I compare QB's with one another and the dropoff at the position...

I think it's possible the 4 pts per QB TD is overrated...and as much as I think it would be pointless to argue this...I think I may have started an argument on the topic :D

is making QB TD's 4 pts instead of 6 that big a deal?...

not being smart or anything...this is a legit question as I am commish of my local and have made QB TD's 6-9 pts...

I didn't think it would be, but this guys is having a fit about it and I have been unable to convince him otherwise

I didn't think it would be, but this guys is having a fit about it and I have been unable to convince him otherwise

see...I don't see the big deal either way....

you are commish, don't let one of the peons dictate the scoring system you are implementing on the league...

as I said in another post...the difference between 4 and 6 pts is overrated...and for anyone to complain about it either way is plain silly...

Here is my answer to the situation, just an intersting read if you have the time

The Final Answer

by: Domination (sigalf03) Aug 18 12:38pm

Alright, i am quickly getting tired of all this bull sh$t.

Short answer - the rule was established before the draft, everyone agried to it, so it will not change. If you were not their, too bad, not the leagues or my problem

Long and unnecesary answer (since the short answer should be sufficient, yet has proven not to be) - There are many ways that this can be argued but here are a few.

1. The argument that after the eighth pick their are no good running backs is rediculous. First of all, after the 8th pick, C. Williams, R. Brown, R. Johnson, L. Jordan, and B. Westbrook were all available. With PPR these are fantastic running backs. In your case (Kenny) you got P. Manning AND L. Jordan (on of the best RBs in PPR last year) so their should be no complaining on your part. You had the option to get TWO of these top teir running backs yet opted to go for P. Manning instead. If you should be upset with anyone, get mad at the one that drafted for you, not the rules that were established before the draft. You should instead be estatic that you were able to get the #1 Qb and a top 5 running back, which in most drafts is impossible.

2. For not understanding the need to balance QBs and RBs. I challange you to name the running backs last year that got 20+ TDs. (their were 2, S. Alexander, L. Johnson). Now name the QBs that got more then 20 TDs (their were 11, C. Palmer, P. Manning, T. Brady, J. Delhomme, M. Hasselbeck, E. Manning, D. Brees, M. Brunell, D. Bledsoe, K. Collins, B. Favre)

3. The entire rule system of the leage was created to create balance through most of the positions. Historically QBs score the most, RBs second, and WRs third. Last year we addressed WRs with PPR, it worked very well, this year we have addressed QBs. If you look at most "professional" FF leagues (ones that have large fees, use MFL.com, remain active all year round, and do insane amounts of research for each pick) you will find the majority of them use the same or very similar scoring system that we have established. Not to toot (sp?) my own horn, but I more then likely have the most FF exprience on this league, and have seen and observed 100s of leagues (yes I am obsessed with this stuff!). The changes made year from year have been in an attempt to balance the league as best as possible.

4. History repeats itself. Ask Troy how to handle this situation. Last year he was unable to make the draft, and was unaware that we had added a flex position to the league. He complained ONE time, and then accepted the situation and delt with it. He understood that since he was absent, he was lucky that he was allowed to be in the league even though he was not their. Most leagues do not allow people to miss the draft and have others draft for them. The current situation is a perfect example of why. Our league has decided to allow people to miss the draft and have others draft for them, with the understanding that they will be courtious about it and realize that since they were not their, they have no right to argue things that were decided their.

5. This one is going to piss some people off, but its a point that needs to be made. The VAST majority of leagues, namely one that myself and others in this league have been a part of in the past, do not allow related people to be in the same league. Their have been situtions in previous leagues (not in this one) that a husband and wife have "conspired" and made suspecious trades to help each other out. In this league we now have FOUR managers (or 1/3 of the league) that are related. The argument could be made that this should not be allowed. I personally don't see a problem with it, as long as no collusion occurs. In my opinion this is already starting to happen, but I could be wrong and hope I am. This is the reason that Jeff was not allowed to be commish this year.

6. If anyone would like to take over the commish duties this year and in the future, let me know. I am already tired of dealing with this crap and the season hasn't started yet. I said from the beginning I didn't want to do this, no one else did either so here I am. Their has been more bull sh$t this year in the first month of the league then the last two years combined. (On a side note, I don't know if its possible to change the commish once the season has started, wishful thinking on my part)

Alright thats all I have for now, all of which should have never been necessary but oh well. If the issue still exists, I can provide links to 100s of leagues and discusion boards on the issue and profesional sites that do this for a living. The bottom line, however, is that QB TDs will not change, it was their before everyone drafted, if it were to change now, it would be unfair to the 10 people that were at the draft.

Thanks for your time

I agree with Avernus. How many points a passing TD is worth has no impact on a QB value to me and it would not affect when I draft one. If it does for someone else, I consider their draft strategy fundamentally flawed. I'm in 5 leagues. You could change the value of a passing TDs in all 5 + or - 2 points after the drafts and I wouldn't give a $hit. I don't understand the argument that it matters unless they are arguing about some tie-breakers based on total points or weekly high or something.

5. This one is going to piss some people off, but its a point that needs to be made. The VAST majority of leagues, namely one that myself and others in this league have been a part of in the past, do not allow related people to be in the same league. Their have been situtions in previous leagues (not in this one) that a husband and wife have "conspired" and made suspecious trades to help each other out. In this league we now have FOUR managers (or 1/3 of the league) that are related. The argument could be made that this should not be allowed. I personally don't see a problem with it, as long as no collusion occurs. In my opinion this is already starting to happen, but I could be wrong and hope I am. This is the reason that Jeff was not allowed to be commish this year.

BTW ... I thought number 5 (above) was uncalled for in this ruling. I am not saying it is or is not an issue in your league ,as clearly you believe it to be. However, if it IS an issue in your league it should be addressed seperately. All you accomplished with this paragraph is to make people who were resenting the rule change in the first place mad (or madder). You may have killed your league with that paragraph.

And I agree with everything Clubfoothead said as well.

I agree with Avernus. How many points a passing TD is worth has no impact on a QB value to me and it would not affect when I draft one. If it does for someone else, I consider their draft strategy fundamentally flawed. I'm in 5 leagues. You could change the value of a passing TDs in all 5 + or - 2 points after the drafts and I wouldn't give a $hit. I don't understand the argument that it matters unless they are arguing about some tie-breakers based on total points or weekly high or something.

Agreed. You could end up with Peyton Manning(35+TDs) but a RB with only 13-15TDs. While another owner gets the RB that gets 20+ TDs and has a QB that has 25-28 TDs. It all evens out IMO.

Even in a TD only league, guys will overvalue the QB position. It happens every year. They think by getting Peyton they have a leg up on the rest of the league. Meanwhile, I'm looking at the RBs and WRs that score the most. I can always wait and get a serviceable QB later in the draft, especially when most teams already have theirs. I usually always find one that can throw at least 25 TDs.

I usually always find one that can throw at least 25 TDs.

Usually always :D drop the always

I waited till the 7th or 8th round last year to get my QB. It was non other than Carson Palmer. Backed him up quickly though with Delhomme as many were unsure how Palmer would pan out. I think we know now. Who will be this year's Palmer?