[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UT Scrimmage this morning...

Droobie42

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/ind...hange_well_id=2

Before the sun rose over Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium on Saturday morning, the Longhorn football team was already getting suited up to take the field for the scrimmage that is part of Texas' annual Fan Appreciation Day. Over 10,000 fans gave themselves an early wake-up call to greet them for the 7:30 a.m. practice with thousands more already forming a line for the autograph session to come later in the day.

"That is probably the sharpest we’ve been in this scrimmage, especially this early," head coach Mack Brown said after the scrimmage. "We’ve never come out this early for a scrimmage. I thought they couldn’t have done anything more than what we asked them to do today."

In appreciation of their early-rising fans, the Longhorns did not make them wait before giving them something to cheer about with a seven-play scoring drive on the opening series. A 43-yard pass from QB Colt McCoy to WR Limas Sweed led to a 10-yard TD run by RB Selvin Young two plays later.

McCoy played two series and completed 5-of-6 passes for 68 yards, while Young rushed four times for 56 yards and a TD. The reception by Sweed was one of three during the scrimmage for him for a total of 63 yards. Quarterback Jevan Snead played on the second series, and for the scrimmage, he completed 4-of-8 passes for 24 yards with a long of 12 yards to WR Nate Jones.

"We felt like both quarterbacks did well," Brown said. "Colt [McCoy] has had the same scrimmage twice that we have had. He has come out, been very efficient and he has gotten out. Jevan [snead] is learning. You can see that there is a tremendous amount of talent with both of them. They are both going to be really good players. You can also see that we can run the same offense that we have been running. It will feature different things, but it will be the same offense. I thought we looked quick on defense and I thought it was a very, very physical scrimmage. Overall, we were really pleased."

McCoy and Sweed again hooked up for a 16-yard pass during their second possession, while Young had a 24-yard rush that led to a 17-yard TD run by RB Jamaal Charles, who finished with 31 yards on three carries.

Defensively, DE Brian Robison blocked a 37-yard FG attempt to go along with a batted down pass and a tackle for loss. Fellow defensive end Tim Crowder had two tackles with a sack and a TFL. Linebackers Scott Derry and Jared Norton led the team with five tackles each, while defensive backs Ishie Oduegwu and Robert Joseph each came up with interceptions.

Following the scrimmage, the players showered and ate before taking their seats for the autograph session, which some fans lined up for as early as 10 p.m. Friday night.

"This is such a great opportunity for us to say thank you to the fans and show how grateful we are to have the best fans in America," Brown said.

One fan named Josh left Dallas at 9:30 p.m. on Friday, arrived in Austin at midnight and camped out in line overnight.

"We slept outside and it was hot, but it is all worth it," he said. "I see the same people every year, including a friend of mine who I met here four years ago and we keep in contact. It's a good time to get together and to get to see people and we are glad the players show up to sign things for everybody."

The Longhorns open the 2006 campaign on Saturday, Sept. 2, when they host North Texas at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium (11 a.m./FSN).