[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Driver being Overlooked?

giantsfan

Additional evidence he's being overlooked...

I held my breathe in 4th round as I watched T. Glenn, TJ Housh, Joe Horn, and Lee Evans all go b4 him. I just hope thehuddle.com knows what they're talking about with rankings! :D

I was thinking of taking him in late round 3 as my # 1 WR assuming Wayne is gone, but now I am thinking of taking a Williams' in late round 3 and grabbing DD in early round 4 on the snake. Seeing all this stuff I think he's there.

Edited by giantsfan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I held my breathe in 4th round as I watched T. Glenn, TJ Housh, Joe Horn, and Lee Evans all go b4 him. I just hope thehuddle.com knows what they're talking about with rankings! :D

Glenn?Evans?

The Huddle's top 10.(free)

1 Torry Holt STL 7

2 Chad Johnson CIN 5

3 Steve Smith CAR 9

4 Terrell Owens DAL 3

5 Anquan Boldin ARI 9

6 Larry Fitzgerald ARI 9

7 Randy Moss OAK 3

8 Marvin Harrison IND 6

Tier 2

9 Reggie Wayne IND 6

10 Donald Driver GBP 6

Glenn?Evans?

The Huddle's top 10.(free)

1 Torry Holt STL 7

2 Chad Johnson CIN 5

3 Steve Smith CAR 9

4 Terrell Owens DAL 3

5 Anquan Boldin ARI 9

6 Larry Fitzgerald ARI 9

7 Randy Moss OAK 3

8 Marvin Harrison IND 6

Tier 2

9 Reggie Wayne IND 6

10 Donald Driver GBP 6

Saw that. The huddle is just about the only site that has DD that high. Most others have him in the high teens and maybe even low 20's. And always after the group I mentioned above. That I don't get.

Edited by giantsfan

I don't know how anyone can bash the huddle rankings for not having Driver high enough when he was a top 10 WR and I agreed with this when there was even a post made about it here...

I just thought Wayne was placed too high if anything...

KUBJPO01 is waaay off with his analysis...

I don't know how anyone can bash the huddle rankings for not having Driver high enough when he was a top 10 WR and I agreed with this when there was even a post made about it here...

I just thought Wayne was placed too high if anything...

KUBJPO01 is waaay off with his analysis...

Avernus, you seem to be the one that is way off with your understanding of what my point was. I was thrilled to get Driver there and couldnt beleive those guys I listed were taken BEFORE him. Absolutely no bashing of Huddle rankings going on here. I am hoping that huddle is right because as I stated, I was thrilled to be getting him there and thought everyone ahead of me in 4th round was nuts for passing him up.

:D

Avernus, you seem to be the one that is way off with your understanding of what my point was. I was thrilled to get Driver there and couldnt beleive those guys I listed were taken BEFORE him. Absolutely no bashing of Huddle rankings going on here. I am hoping that huddle is right because as I stated, I was thrilled to be getting him there and thought everyone ahead of me in 4th round was nuts for passing him up.

:D

:D... :D

Driver went 3.05 in HOT. I didn't even get a chance to grab him.

Driver fell to me in the 6th round, 6th pick. I was getting nervous that someone knew something I didn't.

I hate that feeling. I check for injury updates between picks in a live draft and worry someone knows somthing I don't. :D

He produces 85 1200 every year yet gets overlooked

See, the thing is that he only did that the past 2 years and he has been in the league for 7. So to say that he does that "every year" is an exaggeration. For the record, I'm not looking to make an argument against drafting Driver - I owned him in one of my leagues last season and he was outstanding - I'm just pointing out a possible reason why some people may be slow to warm to him.

I will say that I'm in the middle of a draft right now where I took Chris Chambers and Hines Ward in the 3rd and 4th round, and I left Driver out there, and he still is available towards the end of the 4th round. I kind of consider the group of WRs that you mention in the same class as Driver and think it's just a matter of personal preference really. I've been pretty busy and unable to really look over and plan for this draft this year, so I can't tell you that I had a lot of well thought out reasoning of why I took those 2 guys over Driver...I strongly considered Driver at each slot, I can say that. I just went with my gut, thinking that Chambers seemed to break through last year, has been a more consistent TD threat throughout their careers, and Miami's offense seems to be improving. As for Ward, I've just always really liked him, and without Bettis or a solid #2 WR, I think Ward will improve his TD total and put up some consistent numbers more in line with his numbers from 3 or 4 years ago.

The other thing that scared me a bit on Driver, and I suspect a few others, is his 2003 season. In 2002 he seemingly broke through with a pretty big season/second half, only to unexpectedly disappear in 2003. I know Walker isn't there for Driver to play second fiddle to anymore, but still, that type of stuff scares me a bit, and I suspect that may be another reason why he is falling behind guys like Chambers and Ward in a lot of drafts. With that said, Favre's #1 WRs have a habit of putting up huge numbers, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Driver had another very good 85 catch / 1200 yard season...I just preferred the other 2 guys a little more. :D : :D

See, the thing is that he only did that the past 2 years and he has been in the league for 7. So to say that he does that "every year" is an exaggeration. For the record, I'm not looking to make an argument against drafting Driver - I owned him in one of my leagues last season and he was outstanding - I'm just pointing out a possible reason why some people may be slow to warm to him.

I will say that I'm in the middle of a draft right now where I took Chris Chambers and Hines Ward in the 3rd and 4th round, and I left Driver out there, and he still is available towards the end of the 4th round. I kind of consider the group of WRs that you mention in the same class as Driver and think it's just a matter of personal preference really. I've been pretty busy and unable to really look over and plan for this draft this year, so I can't tell you that I had a lot of well thought out reasoning of why I took those 2 guys over Driver...I strongly considered Driver at each slot, I can say that. I just went with my gut, thinking that Chambers seemed to break through last year, has been a more consistent TD threat throughout their careers, and Miami's offense seems to be improving. As for Ward, I've just always really liked him, and without Bettis or a solid #2 WR, I think Ward will improve his TD total and put up some consistent numbers more in line with his numbers from 3 or 4 years ago.

The other thing that scared me a bit on Driver, and I suspect a few others, is his 2003 season. In 2002 he seemingly broke through with a pretty big season/second half, only to unexpectedly disappear in 2003. I know Walker isn't there for Driver to play second fiddle to anymore, but still, that type of stuff scares me a bit, and I suspect that may be another reason why he is falling behind guys like Chambers and Ward in a lot of drafts. With that said, Favre's #1 WRs have a habit of putting up huge numbers, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Driver had another very good 85 catch / 1200 yard season...I just preferred the other 2 guys a little more. :D : :D

I look at it like:

1. He has gone 85 1200 for 2 straight seasons.

2. In his 4 real full seasons, was a bit player before then, he has gone 1000 + 3 times, 70 1064 with 9 TD's the first season.

I can not explain 03. He did miss a game but still that was a terrible year. But other than that 3 of the past 4 seasons he has been good or very good like the last 2. I can surely see a season like 2 years ago with 85, 1200, and 9 or 10 TD's. I like him late 3rd early 4th.

I can surely see a season like 2 years ago with 85, 1200, and 9 or 10 TD's. I like him late 3rd early 4th.

Me too, and honestly I'm a bit surprised that no one has grabbed him yet - like I said, I thought about it myself - but I'm sure he'll get off the board fairly soon. I was just offering some reasoning, well thought out or not, why he might be consistently behind the group of D-Jax, Williams, Chambers and Ward. FWIW, I looked on a couple of sites since I posted, and both have Driver listed as the 17th WR behind the aforemetioned group as well as Burress, Santana Moss, and Andre Johnson. I would take Driver over any of those 3, so maybe he is being a bit overlooked by some, but Moss did have a hugh season last year so I can at least see how they could rank them like that.

Me too, and honestly I'm a bit surprised that no one has grabbed him yet - like I said, I thought about it myself - but I'm sure he'll get off the board fairly soon. I was just offering some reasoning, well thought out or not, why he might be consistently behind the group of D-Jax, Williams, Chambers and Ward. FWIW, I looked on a couple of sites since I posted, and both have Driver listed as the 17th WR behind the aforemetioned group as well as Burress, Santana Moss, and Andre Johnson. I would take Driver over any of those 3, so maybe he is being a bit overlooked by some, but Moss did have a hugh season last year so I can at least see how they could rank them like that.

It is well thought out reasoning and I'm sure a reason why he falls. And like I said other than the huddle he's always 16-22 or so and IMO that is too low. But that's me.

I look at it like:

1. He has gone 85 1200 for 2 straight seasons.

2. In his 4 real full seasons, was a bit player before then, he has gone 1000 + 3 times, 70 1064 with 9 TD's the first season.

I can not explain 03. He did miss a game but still that was a terrible year. But other than that 3 of the past 4 seasons he has been good or very good like the last 2. I can surely see a season like 2 years ago with 85, 1200, and 9 or 10 TD's. I like him late 3rd early 4th.

03 he landed on his head and was shaky for some time even though he did play. It was pretty bad. The year before he was over 1000 yards. This year he looks even better than last. Much of last season he was double and triple teamed as he was really the only starter besides Brett that lasted. Even Bubba missed a lot of time.

I just drafted hiim as my number #1 WR in Generation Lost ... right now he is the only WR I have

I saw that. In one HAG league he hasn't been picked yet and iy's the 4th. I didn't have a chance to draft him @ 3.09.

Edited by Randall

ESPN has writers that don't like him, but I see him between 10 and 12 at most sites.

This one site has 16 writers ranking him thusly(6-19). They average him at 13. I have him at 10. So does the Huddle.

Donald Driver, GB 13 11 16 14 11 * 16 19 16 18 6 13 12 7 8 14 15

nvn he went 4.03 as the 12th wr taken

Yes, I saw that. Grits got him at 4.02 also the 12th selected. In HOT he went 3.05, the 10th WR selected.

Tim just picked him in Prime Time, the 14th selected. Between 10 and 14 seems about tight.

Edited by Randall

In a 14 team redraft (3 WR) league, in which I was a guest drafter, Driver went 3.11.

WR's went...

1) Smith (1.4)

2) T.O. (1.6)

3) Fitz (1.10)

4) Holt (1.12)

5) R. Moss (1.14)

6) Chad (2.1)

7) Harrison (2.2)

8) Boldin (2.4)

9) S. Moss (2.5)

10) Wayne (2.7)

11) Chambers (2.12)

12) Galloway (2.13)

13) Ward (3.1)

14) Horn (3.2)

15) DJax (3.5)

16) Roy (3.7)

17) R. Smith (3.8)

18) Plax (3.9)

19) Driver (3.11)

As you can tell it is a WR heavy league...PPR + huge yardage bonuses. Couldn't figure out the order in which some of these guys were taken, however. :D

Edited by YoungBob

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like you may be right Giantsfan, Driver could be poised for a HUGH year. It's too early to say for sure, but the early returns sure make me wish that I had taken him over Chambers in Prime Time. Oh well, at least I got him as my WR2 in my local.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

He's #10 over here a little lower elsewhere. He isn't flashy but is a good receiver. He wasn't there in the 4th round except in a January draft.

In a 14 team redraft (3 WR) league, in which I was a guest drafter, Driver went 3.11.

WR's went...

11) Chambers (2.12)

12) Galloway (2.13)

13) Ward (3.1)

14) Horn (3.2)

15) DJax (3.5)

16) Roy (3.7)

17) R. Smith (3.8)

18) Plax (3.9)

19) Driver (3.11)

19th WR? That's crazy and he should not be behind these guys. Well maybe DJax and even Chambers, but not the rest.

Edited by Randall