[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Panthers Rookie Hazing

CD6405

Yea yea, I know it happens everywhere but I thought it was a funny story; especially Chris Draft's quote.

Rookie hazing part of final day of Panthers' camp

By MIKE CRANSTON, AP Sports Writer

August 21, 2006

AP - Aug 21, 1:36 pm EDT

More Photos

SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP) -- John Fox was happy, the veterans were happy, and the rookies were taped to the goal posts as the Carolina Panthers wrapped up training camp Monday.

Fox ended camp two days early for the first time in his five seasons as coach, saying his players had earned the early departure from Wofford College.

"It was probably one of the better (camps) I've been associated with," said Fox, who made the decision to end camp early following Saturday's 17-10 exhibition victory at Jacksonville. "This is my fifth year and our staff and the core of this football team has been pretty much intact and I think you just get more comfortable. It went pretty smooth and it was efficient."

The team practiced early in camp during a heat wave, when the heat index soared over 100 degrees. Also, unlike in recent years, no practice was moved inside because of rain or lightning.

"We know we can practice in the sun. We know that," quarterback Jake Delhomme said. "Everybody's going to say it was a good camp when you break camp, but I think we got a lot of work done. There were no gym practices, so there was a lot of hitting and a lot of throwing. We've done some good things, but we're still in camp mode. We're going to be back at it tomorrow. It's just that we're going to be doing it 75 miles north of here."

Before the players raced home in their expensive cars -- some already lined up on the edge of the parking lot for a quick getaway -- the rookies got a taste of traditional NFL hazing. Veteran receivers Steve Smith and Keyshawn Johnson helped to tape rookie receivers Daniel Smith, Lynzell Jackson, Jovon Bouknight, Taye Biddle and Justin McCullum to one goal post. They were then doused with water and sunscreen.

"They kind of snuck up on us. I thought we were clear and free to break camp -- nope," McCullum said.

While that was happening, defensive linemen Devan Long and Stanley McClover were being taped to another goal post, and James Anderson was strapped to a chair.

Veteran Chris Draft showed Anderson no mercy, giving him a Gatorade bath.

"I'm not exactly a hazing guy. I'm a supervisor hazer," Draft said. "Our guy James Anderson asked for more tape, like a good rookie should. We used regular tape, two-inch, stretch tape and some good pre-wrap. He also asked for some Gatorade, because he felt a little dehydrated. Now he smells like strawberries."

Draft and the Panthers were in a good mood following two decent performances in a 2-0 start to the preseason. The first-team defense has allowed only three points in three quarters. While the offense struggled until late in the first half against the Jaguars, Johnson has five catches for 65 yards in two games and has become a favorite target of Delhomme.

Draft said he was ready to return to Charlotte get ready for Thursday's game against Miami.

"It's good to get out of here," he said. "It's a little warm. The beds are a little too small. The cafeteria is a little too much of the same. It's time to go."

capt.0ecd2fb9c18d415985ea5e170d6ed5cf.panthers_camp_football_sccb101.jpg

Edited by CD6405