[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who is Bryant Gumbel?

DMD

The real point, however, is that the MLB and NBA salary structures are BROKEN. The NFL is the only sports powerhouse right now, and a big reason for that is that fans understand the players are ALWAYS playing for their paychecks.

Ditto to this as well. Vet's idea about duplicating two inflexible and encumbering systems is ludicrous.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look people -- any union head isn't just working for the members CURRENTLY in the union. He has to have some concept of the union's FUTURE well-being.

That's why what Donutrun Jellies said is completely true. If football players care about preserving the game, instead of just their OWN bottom line, then they will appreciate how Upshaw has handled things.

Recent history has shown us that the financially "lesser" NFL teams DO increase their player payroll if/when they get new stadiums built. That's about the time players get paid their "fair share" from the team's revenue pot.

It's not like the "lesser" revenue teams are spending drastically less on players from year to year though. They are less likely to put guaranteed monies and up-front cash into player contracts, but they will use their cap room.

I'm sorry, but it doesn't look like you'll ever understand the point that it's NOT in ANY NFL INTEREST for them to guarantee contracts. Even the players aren't crazy about the idea.

I never said it was in the NFL's best interests, numb nutz.

I said it was in the players' best interests.

Pay attention from now on, dick.

I never said it was in the NFL's best interests, numb nutz.

I said it was in the players' best interests.

Pay attention from now on, dick.

Sure fire way to win friends here at the Huddle:

1) Pick a controversial thread for response.

2) Take a stance that is converse to popular thought.

3) Reinforce your stance by ignoring facts & demonstrating repeatedly that you don't know what you're talking about.

4) Give examples to reinforce your stance that support the position that is counter to your argument.

5) Be condescending every chance you get.

6) When you are getting trounced in the argument, resort to juvenile name calling.

Yep, you nailed just about every one. You're on your way to becoming immensely popular here.

:D

Sure fire way to win friends here at the Huddle:

1) Pick a controversial thread for response.

2) Take a stance that is converse to popular thought.

3) Reinforce your stance by ignoring facts & demonstrating repeatedly that you don't know what you're talking about.

4) Give examples to reinforce your stance that support the position that is counter to your argument.

5) Be condescending every chance you get.

6) When you are getting trounced in the argument, resort to juvenile name calling.

Yep, you nailed just about every one. You're on your way to becoming immensely popular here.

:D

Thanks, I do what I can. :D

You're right about one (maybe two) things, though.

1. This is a controversial topic.

2. My opinion in this is probably contrary to popular opinion.

3. I don't think I ignored any facts - I simply argued that NFL players get screwed relative to other sports. Not saying in any way that the other sports are "right" - just saying that NFL players get shafted relative to NBA and MLB. I actually like the NFL model much more than the other major sports because it breeds competitiveness and I like that. But it is not the best system for the players.

4. I don't think I contradicted my original premise.

5. You're right. I was a bit condescending. My bad.

6. You're right again. Name calling is lame. Dick head.

Ask the guys who worked for Andrew Carnegie how much he cared about them. Here's your pay voucher--take it to our store where we can inflate the prices and get all of our money back. Oh, and if you die, no worries. Your old lady and the kids can live here a whole three weeks after you get planted before we'll turn them out with nothing to live on. Ah, the good ol' days.

Gumbel is a MORAN of the first order.

Football has 53 players on each team versus 25 for baseball and 12 for basketball.

Football plays 16 times a season versus 162 for baseball and about 80 for basketball.

Football draws 55,000 fans per game 8 times a year 440,000 per year

Baseball Yankees drew almost 4 million last year. Basketball seats about 15,000 per game 40 times a year 600,000 per year.

When you think about it the money just isn't there for football.

All the blustering about guaranteed contracts doesn't seem to be based in fact. This article on ESPN sets the record straight. Maybe the NFL players aren't being subjected to non-consensual carnal pleasure after all:

ESPN

All the blustering about guaranteed contracts doesn't seem to be based in fact. This article on ESPN sets the record straight. Maybe the NFL players aren't being subjected to non-consensual carnal pleasure after all:

ESPN

:D Great article by Whitlock.