[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CuMar now paid minimum wage

DMD

Oh yeah, this is a real positive sign... not...

The New York Jets renegotiated Curtis Martin's contract last week to cover themselves in the event Martin does not play this season, the New York Daily News reported Tuesday.

Martin, who was scheduled to earn $2.5 million in base salary for 2006, signed a "split" contract that reduced his salary to a veteran-minimum $810,000, the newspaper reported. If he's placed on season-ending injured reserve, he will receive $475,000.

The move, along with the Jets' trade for San Francisco 49ers runing back Kevan Barlow, is being seen as a sign the team is preparing for a season without Martin.

Martin, 33, the NFL's fourth all-time leading rusher, has a bone-on-bone condition in his surgically-repaired right knee and has yet to practice in training camp, raising fears his career may be over.

Jets coach Eric Mangini said Monday there was no change in Martin's situation.

If he is able to recover and play this season, Martin can recoup the lost salary by reaching performance incentives, a source told the Daily News

heard this on Sirius NFL this morning...not good at all. Hope none of you took a flyer on CuMar

Nope. Was looking at Houston as a late pick, but with all the rumors of trading for another RB flying, who knows if Houston will be the starter...

I love Curtis Martin more than any football player I've ever seen.

Even more than Freeman McNeil.

I'm looking forward to having #28 hung up in Canton and up in the rafters in Giants Stadium....er, I mean the Meadowlands...er, I mean the new Jets/Giants Stadium or Giants/Jets Stadium...or whatever you want to call it.

They could name it "Springsteen Stadium". I mean, the Boss could probably fill more seats there in one night than the Jets will put in there all year this season.

They could sell the naming rights to Verizon, and have Bruce sing "Come on up to Verizon...."

Or, they could just name it "Parcells Stadium", and appease both Jets and Giants fans. I mean, after all, Coach Parcells did bring two Superbowl championships to the Giants organization. And to the Jets he brought...well...we were competitive with Denver in the first half of the 1998 AFC Championship game. So there!!!

This is being viewed in NY as a way to make sure Martin gets some $ this year. Any other player would have been cut. This ensures that Martin doesn't have to officially retire until next year, while still getting paid. Basically, depending upon how you choose to view it, it's either a half million dollar PR campaign, or a way to say thank you to Martin for his service with class.

This is being viewed in NY as a way to make sure Martin gets some $ this year. Any other player would have been cut. This ensures that Martin doesn't have to officially retire until next year, while still getting paid. Basically, depending upon how you choose to view it, it's either a half million dollar PR campaign, or a way to say thank you to Martin for his service with class.

That's what I was thinking.