[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowher says that Parker will start as goal-line back

Menudo

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06236/715925-66.stm

Training Camp Notebook: Parker to be goal-line back, at least for now

Thursday, August 24, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Other than reveal that two of his more important 30-year-olds, wide receiver Hines Ward and cornerback Deshea Townsend, will not play tomorrow night in Philadelphia because of injuries, coach Bill Cowher was chock full of news and insights during what could be his final news conference ever from Saint Vincent College yesterday.

The highlights:

Willie Parker will stay in the game when the Steelers near the goal line, at least to start the season. There will be no Jerome Bettis-like role this season unless somehow Verron Haynes or Duce Staley prove they can fill it. So far, they have not done that.

"If somebody starts to surface and becomes that guy, as the season goes on I wouldn't rule it out," Cowher said. "But I can't say right now there's been one person like there was with Jerome. And I don't think that's a bad thing. That's the way it was last year. This year's a different year."

There is no trade in the works -- nor in their plans -- to send Staley back to the Eagles. Cowher did not say that, but Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, said no one in the organization has had any talks with the Eagles about Staley.

Although Staley started off camp sluggishly and not in football shape, Cowher said he's getting there.

"I think Duce is working himself back into running shape," Cowher said.

The team is in good enough shape under the salary cap that Cowher said he does not have to consider that when he makes his cuts -- the first come Tuesday and the second and final cutdown to 53 occurs Sept. 2. That's good news for punter Chris Gardocki, who's scheduled to earn a salary of $1,088,750. There has been talk that Mike Barr, in his third training camp with the Steelers, could win the job because he's younger and cheaper.

But Gardocki, a 16-year veteran, never has had a punt officially blocked in the pros and reading between Cowher's comments yesterday, the coach seems content to stick with his sure-footed veteran.

"Chris Gardocki is still a very solid player in all the things he does," Cowher said. "He's an outstanding holder for Jeff Reed. He's a consummate pro. I have a lot of respect for that man. You know he'll be there. It doesn't just come down to how a guy punts in the preseason."

Cowher will consider going with two quarterbacks, Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch, on the 53-man roster, with a third on the practice squad.

It's Tyrone Carter's turn to start at free safety, but Cowher still has not ruled on whether he or Ryan Clark has won the job, and won't say who's ahead. Rookie Anthony Smith is not in the mix to start. Carter and Clark have rotated with the first team in practices and preseason games. "I'm not ready to name a starter at this point," Cowher said. "It's working out ... As soon as we make a definitive decision we'll let you know."

The first teams will play most extensively in the third preseason game tomorrow in Philadelphia. That means up to a full half but no more. Certain starters such as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and halfback Willie Parker may bow out earlier than others.

"There are a lot of different combinations we'll look at, but, again, it's pretty much those units looking for some consistency of play and more efficiency on both sides of the ball. That's hopefully what we're getting to at this point."

Among those combinations will be moving right guard Kendall Simmons to center with the first line.

Wide receiver Cedrick Wilson, cited as the state of Tennessee's best high school quarterback in 1996, could fill Antwaan Randle El's role throwing the occasional pass.

Legends meet

Pittsburgh pro wrestling legend Bruno Sammartino met Pittsburgh pro coaching legend Bill Cowher on the field after practice.

Someone wondered what position Sammartino might have played had he opted for football.

"If Dan Kreider goes down, this is my fullback," Cowher said. "Bruno would not want to run with the ball; he'd rather block."

Sammartino thanked Cowher for last season.

"I never miss a game. Never. I go back to the old country [italy], but I never go back during the season."

Quick hits

Tight end Jerame Tuman (hamstring) will miss his second consecutive game. ... Offensive tackle Ulish Booker, who spent the second half of last season on the Steelers' practice squad, sustained a torn ACL in practice Monday and will be placed on injured reserve, ending his season. ... Center Chukky Okobi (neck surgery) may resume full practices next week. ... Wide receiver Isaac West (knee) also will miss the game tomorrow.

Pittsburgh pro wrestling legend Bruno Sammartino met Pittsburgh pro coaching legend Bill Cowher on the field after practice.

Someone wondered what position Sammartino might have played had he opted for football.

"If Dan Kreider goes down, this is my fullback," Cowher said. "Bruno would not want to run with the ball; he'd rather block."

Bruno not going to run the ball? :D I'm going to have to drop kick him down a couple of turnbuckles on my cheat sheet then ...

Willie Parker will stay in the game when the Steelers near the goal line, at least to start the season. There will be no Jerome Bettis-like role this season unless somehow Verron Haynes or Duce Staley prove they can fill it. So far, they have not done that.

"If somebody starts to surface and becomes that guy, as the season goes on I wouldn't rule it out," Cowher said. "But I can't say right now there's been one person like there was with Jerome. And I don't think that's a bad thing. That's the way it was last year. This year's a different year."

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

What's that noise??? Oh, yeah, it's Fast Willie Parker moving up the board! I traded for him last week as my #2 behind LJ and this news has me very excited!

I'd trade Duce for a six pack of IC Light after the camp he had. The guy has had a year off to get in shape. He's not there yet? When exactly can we expect him? Take your chance with Verron at the goal line, and pray that everyone stays healthy, because Duce is a china doll.

Training Camp Notebook: Parker to be goal-line back, at least for now

Thursday, August 24, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The highlights:

Willie Parker will stay in the game when the Steelers near the goal line, at least to start the season.

So parker gets to STAY IN the game near the goal line.

so what exactly is NEAR? imo that means approaching and not AT THE GOAL LINE...

read between the lines here fellas

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

What's that noise??? Oh, yeah, it's Fast Willie Parker moving up the board! I traded for him last week as my #2 behind LJ and this news has me very excited!

you might want to read between the lines..."STAYING IN THE GAME" isnt the same as

"GETTING THE GOAL LINE CARRIES"...if anything bump up hines ward a few spots

Move Jeff Reed way up in your K rankings.

+1

Edited by keggerz

i think this year's version of the goalline offense will be of heath miller and hines ward.. i think we will throw much more in the redzone than last year. miller and ward are both very solid in that area, as well as ben (minus the pass in sb xl.)

im not really sure parker will get as many carries near the goalline as everyone is predicting. he really hasnt shown me he can handle that load yet. of course he could have improved and will be even better. i think his ability to receive could make him a great fantasy back rather than some goalline carries. if the steelers are going to open it up a bit more that means more receiving opportunities for parker. he is very good on screens and seems to pick up big yards every catch. he averaged 12.1 yds a catch.

i think this year's version of the goalline offense will be of heath miller and hines ward.. i think we will throw much more in the redzone than last year. miller and ward are both very solid in that area, as well as ben (minus the pass in sb xl.)

im not really sure parker will get as many carries near the goalline as everyone is predicting. he really hasnt shown me he can handle that load yet. of course he could have improved and will be even better. i think his ability to receive could make him a great fantasy back rather than some goalline carries. if the steelers are going to open it up a bit more that means more receiving opportunities for parker. he is very good on screens and seems to pick up big yards every catch. he averaged 12.1 yds a catch.

he has'nt shown anyone if he can handle the goal line load because he's never had the chance.Duce is a turd,I don't think he has a chance to do anything for Pittsburgh ever again."just getting himself into running shape"?No thanks.I read somewhere that some of the Steelers coaches really like Haynes and were lobbying for more carries for him this season.Apparently Cowher does'nt feel that way,we'll see.I think it's reasonable to think that any RB in the league can pop a couple in from the 2 or 3 yd line behind that O-line.Nothing against Bettis but I don't remember him really running over anyone last year,just following the blocks and falling forward for 2 or 3 yards.I agree with your take on FWP's receiving ability and probably have him ranked a little higher than most this year.

he has'nt shown anyone if he can handle the goal line load because he's never had the chance.Duce is a turd,I don't think he has a chance to do anything for Pittsburgh ever again."just getting himself into running shape"?No thanks.I read somewhere that some of the Steelers coaches really like Haynes and were lobbying for more carries for him this season.Apparently Cowher does'nt feel that way,we'll see.I think it's reasonable to think that any RB in the league can pop a couple in from the 2 or 3 yd line behind that O-line.Nothing against Bettis but I don't remember him really running over anyone last year,just following the blocks and falling forward for 2 or 3 yards.I agree with your take on FWP's receiving ability and probably have him ranked a little higher than most this year.

First off, your take on Bettis is way off. Bettis had plenty of great runs over the last two years. His contributions will be missed greatly this season, especially when trying to grind down the clock in the 2nd half. Example....he had 100 yards in the 2nd half when they were leading against a very strong Bears defense that new they were going to run. I just don't see any of their current backs being able to do this.

Also, Cowher has said that Haynes is going to be given every opportunity to take the # 2 RB role. I think it is a no-brainer that he will get it. Duce has looked awful in the two pre-season games, and I think Cowher's telling the media that Duce is still running well is a ploy to try to find some takers. My prediction is still that Staley is cut before all is said and done.

I can't see any Bill Cowher coached team being pass happy in the red zone. I also can't see Willie Parker getting the ball at the one or two yard line. I bet the Steeler's would have loved to have gotten Duckett, if the asking price wasn't so high.

The Steelers actually throw the ball a lot more than people think in the redzone. Hines Ward had several short slants for TD's last year, and Heath Miller was used more and more in the redzone as the season moved on. Without Bettis, I believe they will throw even more in the redzone this year.

Notice that in the Eagles pre-season game, Parker only played the first series (well, they've only had 2 so far, so we'll see), but, if he doesn't come back in, that shows how valuable the Steelers fell he is, as the rest of their starters are still out there, including Ben. He had 3 catches and some nice runs in the first series. I think it is clear that they will continue to find ways to get him involved in the passing game. They would be foolish not too. I'm very happy with the way he has looked in his limited pre-season action.

As for Staley, my opinion has not changed, the guy is DONE !! He looks so slow on his cuts, and is not breaking any tackles. I really think his early play tonight is in hopes that the Eagles or someone else will trade for him. I will be absolutely shocked if Staley makes any impact on the Steelers this year.

First off, your take on Bettis is way off. Bettis had plenty of great runs over the last two years. His contributions will be missed greatly this season, especially when trying to grind down the clock in the 2nd half. Example....he had 100 yards in the 2nd half when they were leading against a very strong Bears defense that new they were going to run. I just don't see any of their current backs being able to do this.

Also, Cowher has said that Haynes is going to be given every opportunity to take the # 2 RB role. I think it is a no-brainer that he will get it. Duce has looked awful in the two pre-season games, and I think Cowher's telling the media that Duce is still running well is a ploy to try to find some takers. My prediction is still that Staley is cut before all is said and done.

Did'nt mean to knock your boy Bettis,just thinking that alot of the td's Bettis scored coulda been ran in by you,and Willie should be able to handle the goal line job.Although I hope he does'nt gain 3 or 4 yds. and get up thumping his chest and shaking his head... :D

Did'nt mean to knock your boy Bettis,just thinking that alot of the td's Bettis scored coulda been ran in by you,and Willie should be able to handle the goal line job.Although I hope he does'nt gain 3 or 4 yds. and get up thumping his chest and shaking his head... :D

Bettis will be thumping his chest and shaking his head and Canton next....