[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

R. Brown Overrated?

giantsfan

Everywhere you look in here it's Brown this and Brown that. Huddle has him rated # 5. Most people in here have him # 5 ahead of Jackson, Caddy, Edge, Rudi, and Jordan. Now I like Brown, but he has not carried a full load in forever, plus Moose brought up a good point when he said Saban ideally would like another guy to work with Brown. All I am saying is maybe he is being rated a little too highly in here considering the fact he has never done or or been THE guy in years.

Everywhere you look in here it's Brown this and Brown that. Huddle has him rated # 5. Most people in here have him # 5 ahead of Jackson, Caddy, Edge, Rudi, and Jordan. Now I like Brown, but he has not carried a full load in forever, plus Moose brought up a good point when he said Saban ideally would like another guy to work with Brown. All I am saying is maybe he is being rated a little too highly in here considering the fact he has never done or or been THE guy in years.

those six guys are just that close

#5? No way. That line is not good.

See that's my point. I like Brown a lot and usually when you start a thread like this you start hearing things like oh you hate Brown or basing too much on pre-season. Well all I can say is yes he's solid and I do like him, but I don't know if he should be ahead of proven guys like Rudi, Edge, and somewhat Jordan. Guys who have more history like SJax. Or even a guy like Caddy who was better than Brown last season and should enjoy the same situation as Brown this season. Again why is a guy who has never been THE guy getting regarded so highly is all I wonder.

My guess is if he had 10 carries for 50+ yards, this wouldn't even be posted. But I don't think he can be overrated when he goes between 5 and 12 every draft. Everyone after the Big 3 is so close now with the Portis injury that anyone can be taken in the 4th - 12th hole and not be considered a bad pick. After the Big 3, you just gotta go with who you like from your gut because a lot of them have about the same strength of schedule too.

My guess is if he had 10 carries for 50+ yards, this wouldn't even be posted. But I don't think he can be overrated when he goes between 5 and 12 every draft. Everyone after the Big 3 is so close now with the Portis injury that anyone can be taken in the 4th - 12th hole and not be considered a bad pick. After the Big 3, you just gotta go with who you like from your gut because a lot of them have about the same strength of schedule too.

Not bad only took 3 or 4 posts for that to be mentioned. He could break off a 30 yard run right now and I'd say the same thing. I can care less about pre-season. And yes you are right most of those RB's could all be around the same and it's take your pick. BUT to be honest I see almost no one putting Brown lower than 5 in here, maybe some 6 after SJax, but for the most part always 5 and always with the comment man he could be huge this year. Haven't seen anyone say man I'm a little worried about Brown trying to carry the full load. None of that just the hey this guy has some upside this season take him over Edge or Rudi.

Edited by giantsfan

So, would you take Rudi or Edge over him?

Last week I wasn't so sure, I actually like Brown more, but the more thought I've given it as I've gotten closer to my draft this weekend I think I'd rank them like this:

LJ, SA, LT, Tiki, Edge, SJax, Brown, Caddy, Rudi, Jordan

So I would put him 7 BUT I also know he is a risk. My point isn't so much he's being ranked X as much as it is everyone is SO high on this guy. I have not seen one bad thing about him. No major mention of not carrying a load. No major mention of the Phins maybe not giving him 20 + carries a game. That is all I am saying. I would rather have Edge and I would rather have SJax. And Caddy and him are razor close. I am bias in that I don't like Rudi but he is right there also. And in Caddy's case you hear almost NONE of the hype that is always mentioned with Brown. Why I wonder.

I think he's being overrated in redraft leagues. But in keeper and dynasty leagues, Ronnie Brown is clearly he's someone you'd like to have on your roster for years to come.

Very fair point. I was just focusing on this season. Next year and the year after especially he should be great. But for a guy who was okay last season but nothing special and certainly wore down as the season went on we are all assuming a lot here. That he can carry 300 times and stay fit and strong through 16 games which he has never done (I mean carry the full load).

I would take Take him over everyone now except the top 4, so yes I believe his is 5 if portis were healthy then he would be 6th.

Jackson is great but injury prone, AZ has issues, Caddy doesn't have a good QB,

Rudi and McGahee are a close second,

I would probably go Brown, Jackson, Rudi, Edge, Caddy, McGahee

I would take Take him over everyone now except the top 4, so yes I believe his is 5 if portis were healthy then he would be 6th.

Jackson is great but injury prone, AZ has issues, Caddy doesn't have a good QB,

Rudi and McGahee are a close second,

I would probably go Brown, Jackson, Rudi, Edge, Caddy, McGahee

I concur- they are all so close, but that is how I would rank em. Not sure I would take SJax if it came down to it, I may opt for Caddy or Rudi- I just am not buying into SJax a productive back for a whole season-

to me, Sjax is the biggest ?? and has the most risk

Its just personal preference... Some people have him 5th, some 8th, all in all we know he is a 1st round pick and its just your preference if u like him better.. I think its a big risk taking him 5th overall to anchor ur team.. We dont know what he is all about yet, we havent seen him play a full nfl season as a feature back.. I think Rudi is a safer pick, but brown obviously is a higher upside pick... So like i said its jus personal preference, do u want safe, or high risk/high upside...

Whos going to split carries with him Sammy Morris?

He is one of the few backs who doesnt have a RBBC (yet). Therefore, I rank him at 5-8. He is having a bad game but not his fault the panther front 7 is insane...you see Jenkins? Monster

And I dont care what the announcers say...this year is different. Saban doesnt have a Rikki Williams to spli carries. Unless a threat comes to take significant carries I am still keeping him high.

my 2 cents

Everyone has their own idea about who they like and what faults and plusses they want to look at when evaluating the group of RB's after the big 3. any of them can be picked apart. see, I feel about Jackson how you feel about Brown.

Here is my view

It is what Brown is capable of is what is so intriguing about him. when you put his and Williams stats together from last year you get a very studly RB. then you throw in the fact that he was a rookie and should only get better.he is in a offense that is on the upswing,you throw in the fact that many of the other backs you speak of we have had better looks at and know what to expect. like this list...

To me when you draft Jackson you have to KNOW you are gonna get a guy who usually plays but almost is always questionable throughout the week with lingering injuries.you have to know that the offense is on the down and not the up.you have to know his team has a very tough run schedule this year .so to me the ceiling is not as high as the past and he is not worth the risk(risk is the key word here because no matter who you take you are gonna have risks)

Caddy- to me Caddy is a top 5 NFL back when healthy. but not a fantasy back. in the offense he is in he is not capable of putting up giant yard totals. then you throw in the fact that despite it being only 1 year he WAS hurt alot.he has a bad line to run behind and has 1 of the toughest run schedules in the NFL .

Edge- Edge has some upside, but to me it is just in PPR leagues. I am pretty sure he is gonna get a bunch of catches. I just HAVE to worry about his line . the Cardinals have finished 32,30 and 29th the last 3 years in rushing yards.

Rudi Johnson - Johnson is 1 of those backs that does not catch the ball, so when he does not run well he is useless. his team has IMO the toughest run schedule this year.Johnson is a solid performer, he just does not have the ceiling to be a top 5 pick IMO.

Jordan - Another RB with a hard schedule. another RB without a line. another back with only 1 year as the starter under his belt. another RB who was hurt during that 1 year. I DO like Jordan. but I don't see how he can even match last years numbers yet improve enough to be the main man in your fantasy offense. he is not gonna get the touches he got last year.

When it comes to Brown..the only knock on him is that he has not carried the full load yet.

Of course ..this is just my opinion. but to me Brown has the highest ceiling of any of these backs.

Edited by Doc Holliday

I was at the game and I think Ronnie will be fine. The Panthers have one of the best DL's in the league and with Jenkins healthy and Kemo in there to stuff the run, there will be many RBs that suffer sub-par days against the Panthers.

Ronnie has good receiving skills and I think he will have a fine season. Culpepper looked quite good and made some nice throws and was able to avoid the rush pretty well. I am pushing him up on my draft list based on what I saw tonight.

I was at the game and I think Ronnie will be fine. The Panthers have one of the best DL's in the league and with Jenkins healthy and Kemo in there to stuff the run, there will be many RBs that suffer sub-par days against the Panthers.

Ronnie has good receiving skills and I think he will have a fine season. Culpepper looked quite good and made some nice throws and was able to avoid the rush pretty well. I am pushing him up on my draft list based on what I saw tonight.

the screens to him were playmakers. I was surprised to see so many, because obviously they were working so well. I woulda tried to keep those under wraps until the regular season, because I'm sure they'll be a HUGE part of the offense.

Damn, Culpepper looks so freaking good. I can't believe he is going to come back from that injury, and still seems to have a swagger.

I see the Ronnie Brown rating being a factor of factors facing other backs ... Portis's shoulder bumps him from the clear 4 into the nebulous 4-10 with Tiki (age), Edge (new Oline), SJax (foot), Rudi (few receptions), Caddy (durability), and RBrown (never carried the burden).

This year comes down to who do you feel like rooting for -- any one of these could end up the clear #4 by the end of the year ... A couple of these might drop out of the top ten -- Jordan would like to sneak in there and heck, Willie Parker might just surprise folks if he emerges as the all-around back in Pittsburgh ...

Sooooooo, if you have Ronnie Brown as #4, the odds are decent you're likely wrong because the competition on this tier is soooo close with numerous variables -- but there's no inarguable case for who ought to be there instead ...

Applied theory? I took Portis at #6 is one early redraft league and am sweating bullets and dodging inane trade offers to unload him cheap ... and I took Ronnie Brown at #4 in a recent redraft and feel okay about that decision. :D