[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question

crispirons

in 2004, dillon was the 8th best rb in a ppr league, scoring just above 240. in 2005, he was the 16th best back with just under 190, while missing 3 games. yet, mr. dillon is way down on draftboards. maroney is going to be a great rb in all likelihood, he was a stud in college. my question, why does everyone think its going to be this yr? i could see him losing a series here or there, but i think he will be the workhorse. he's been too consistent for too long to disregard him. curious to hear other opinions.

the problem with Dillon is really Belichick.

Dillon's a year older so he's going to get dinged up. Fine.

But we all now how Belichick deals with injuries. Dillon becomes 'questionable' with a 'leg/foot' and his status is in limbo for 3-5 weeks.

It's a maddening crapshoot of who to start and when.

Anyways, just watch recent game film of Dillon. He's clearly lost a step.

All of this leaves his him in limbo for this year especially with Maroney looking over his shoulder.

I don't think Dillon is way down on draftboards. He's been going in the 3rd/4th rds. About right for an aging, yet talented, back in a possible RBBC.

All it's going to take is for Maroney to make the rookie mistake of failing to pick up the blitz one time and Brady getting drilled because of it and you will see his playing time decrease.

Dillon is worth taking if you are strong with other backs, meaning ones that will develope by week 6-9. Dillon could surely earn you some wins early.

I just wouldn't want to rely on him late or for the playoffs.

If that makes sense :D

All it's going to take is for Maroney to make the rookie mistake of failing to pick up the blitz one time and Brady getting drilled because of it and you will see his playing time decrease.

Dillon is worth taking if you are strong with other backs, meaning ones that will develope by week 6-9. Dillon could surely earn you some wins early.

I just wouldn't want to rely on him late or for the playoffs.

If that makes sense :D

Agree with both above. RB went like gang busters in my league. I got Dillon in the 4th (LT is my #1, also have Benson and Jones). If he stays healthy I don't see why he can't have a productive season while Maroney learns the system. Oh he'll get spelled from time to time but not to the point of losing his starting roll, I hope. Dillon may not consistantly get over 100 yds. but he could get 1-2 TD's per game.

But then it's Belicheck so who knows. :D

:D

This applies to any rookie back. Are you just assuming Maroney is not a good blocker? Because the facts are that he has been perfect in his blocking assignments in his game action so far. Fox Sports NE's game night show showed about five or six of his biggest tests so far in game action. Perfect. He's picked up blitzing LB's, and DBs equally well. Add this to the fact that he's much faster, has great feet, and hits the hole harder (insert joke here) than Dillon can, and I still expect to see Maroney getting 20 touches by about week 5 or so.

Edited by Bring Back Pat!!!

But then it's Belicheck so who knows. :D

Absolutely... Last year, for the first time, I had a Pats player (2 actually) - Dillon and Branch. I was tearing my hair out a minute before game-time because I had to make an executive decision on whether these guys were going to play or not. Unless it's Tom Brady, no more for me thanks...

Absolutely... Last year, for the first time, I had a Pats player (2 actually) - Dillon and Branch. I was tearing my hair out a minute before game-time because I had to make an executive decision on whether these guys were going to play or not. Unless it's Tom Brady, no more for me thanks...

Our draft was last night, and after saying I never would again, I took Dillon in the 7th... :D:D

Here's to another year of FFL!! :D

This applies to any rookie back. Are you just assuming Maroney is not a good blocker? Because the facts are that he has been perfect in his blocking assignments in his game action so far. Fox Sports NE's game night show showed about five or six of his biggest tests so far in game action. Perfect. He's picked up blitzing LB's, and DBs equally well. Add this to the fact that he's much faster, has great feet, and hits the hole harder (insert joke here) than Dillon can, and I still expect to see Maroney getting 20 touches by about week 5 or so.

Maroney will have to significantly outplay Dillon and Faulk for that to happen AND keep from making rookie mistakes.

In general, Rookies have had a chance to perform in Belichick's tenure when there was no veteran in front of them, or when they had to come in as injury replacement. Unless Dillon goes down, I would temper my expectations of Maroney. I am sure he will get some snaps, but BB is not going to sit HOF RB Corey Dillon for a rookie no matter what round the rookie was drafted in unless the rookie knocks his socks off...and that's tough to do.

People should also bear in mind that a player of Dillon's tenure isn't going full bore in preseason. He's just woking on getting his timing, his legs, and getting ready to take regular season hits. A rookie, OTOH, is coming in and looking to prove that he can play, too. I think this imaginary gap that people have created between Maroney and Dillon will be pretty well closed in the first couple of games.

Maroney will have to significantly outplay Dillon and Faulk for that to happen AND keep from making rookie mistakes.

In general, Rookies have had a chance to perform in Belichick's tenure when there was no veteran in front of them, or when they had to come in as injury replacement. Unless Dillon goes down, I would temper my expectations of Maroney. I am sure he will get some snaps, but BB is not going to sit HOF RB Corey Dillon for a rookie no matter what round the rookie was drafted in unless the rookie knocks his socks off...and that's tough to do.

People should also bear in mind that a player of Dillon's tenure isn't going full bore in preseason. He's just woking on getting his timing, his legs, and getting ready to take regular season hits. A rookie, OTOH, is coming in and looking to prove that he can play, too. I think this imaginary gap that people have created between Maroney and Dillon will be pretty well closed in the first couple of games.

Dillon in the HOF?

Starting unproven people never benefited Belichek...oh wait except with Bradey.

I don't think Dillon will lose his job because of his lack of skill...but age and injury will catch up to him this season especially when they know Maroney is good. Dillon WILL lose touches to Maroney and when you know that always be cautious.

Its like the NY Lotto - "Hey you never know"

Dillon in the HOF?

Starting unproven people never benefited Belichek...oh wait except with Bradey.

I don't think Dillon will lose his job because of his lack of skill...but age and injury will catch up to him this season especially when they know Maroney is good. Dillon WILL lose touches to Maroney and when you know that always be cautious.

Its like the NY Lotto - "Hey you never know"

Brady started because Bledsoe was knocked out, and retained the job because he had proven himself to the coach. The two situations have nothing in common.

And yes, I think Dillon is a HOF RB. All the proof you need is here

16th all time in Rushes. 17th all time in Rushing yards. 24th all time in Rushing TDs. And these numbers will only get better.

another angle to this is Dillon's contract situation...

After Dillon had that big year in '04, NE signed him to an extension (in '04 he played with just a 1 year contract I believe).

If Dillon's extension is anything like most NFL contracts, Dillon is due more money the deeper he goes into his contract. This year he'll be in the 2nd year of his extension (not sure exactly for how long or the $$$ compensation structure). You have to think he'll be earning more NEXT season. NE won't think twice about reducing his role this season then canning him after this season if they really like Maroney to save cap space.

or he'd have to restructure. all signs imo point to Dillon being phased out either by design or due to injury.

Drafted last night. Got Dillon in the 6th as my #3 behind LT and Portis (who fell to 2.08). Picked up Maroney later on.

Very happy with him as my #3