[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why no love for Punters?

BigMikeinNY

How come there is no love for Punters in fantasy football? Think of all the players we use in fantasy football....

...we use kickers and defenses.......ok, so I think it would be a reach to use OL, but at least the Punters touch the ball 4-6x a game (10x if you are the 49'ers punter)

Will fantasy football ever introduce the punter, or am I just wishing :D

Think of all the scoring options! Points for punts 55 yards plus, points for punts inside the 20, negative points for punts blocked.

Anyone with me?

Edited by BigMikeinNY

The challenge is, what's good?

A 55 yard punt from the 50 is worse than a 32 yarder from the same mark ...

A 32 yarder from the 50 is "inside the 20", while a 75 from the 2, even if it is fair caught, is not.

Hmmmm.

:D no.

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

Here's the problem.

It's bad enough that we use kickers when they are very hard to predict. This is because they are merely the end result of a series of downs that went father than the opponent's 35 yard line and yet fell short of a TD. The player with the most XP is rarely every the highest scoring kicker (in fact I think he never is). BUT - at least a kicker is posting points for the offense.

A punter is the result of a team sucking so badly on a series that they could not at least reach the 35 yard line of their oppponents and have to give the ball back. So it would be like rewarding a negative for a team to give fantasy points. Let's make it even more complicated and reward the yardage of a punt so that if a punter is going for a "coffin corner", there is no way that he can punt very far. So in that case, you want the absolute worse team's punter since he will always have a full field to punt.

I just don't personally care for rewarding a negative act. Seems to go against any notion that you are trying to build a team of talented and productive players who score points for their NFL team and instead are just playing a statistical game that is almost impossible to forecast.

Not that I have an opinion really. :D

Since the punter IS a part of the game, sometimes an important part, I'd like to find a decent way to use them in FF, but given the nature of what punters do, depending upon where they are on the field, a fair scoring sytem would porbably be more complicated than it's worth in the long run. how would you score an "inside the ten" punt from the 40 vs. one from the punters own 40 yard line? I like the thought, but don't see how a scoring system could be set up to accurately reflect a punter's performance.

Since the punter IS a part of the game, sometimes an important part, I'd like to find a decent way to use them in FF, but given the nature of what punters do, depending upon where they are on the field, a fair scoring sytem would porbably be more complicated than it's worth in the long run. how would you score an "inside the ten" punt from the 40 vs. one from the punters own 40 yard line? I like the thought, but don't see how a scoring system could be set up to accurately reflect a punter's performance.

not to mention boring and a probably a waste of 2 minutes when you're choosing which one to draft...

Somehow I just don't see myself rooting for Jeff Feagles to get that extra 0.75 seconds of hang time quite as much as, say, rooting for Larry Johnson to punch it into the end zone from the three.

no kidding...i'd be watching picture in picture..."oh crap, Baker is about to send it sailing, better flip on over from Indy in the redzone..."

Can we see links to these leagues. And who is the no.1 punter in the league. :D Seriously!

Josh Bidwell, TB, PN was the #1 punter in our league last year.

0.025pts / punted yard

1.000pts / punt downed inside the 20

...those are the only stats that MFL tracked on punters (other than the number of punts made, but we didnt' think that was particularly meaninful), so, that's what we score.

Punters score about as many points as PKs do in our league, fwiw.