[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who is the Jets starting RB

nubins

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I don't see them winning a game in the division."

Ludicrous. They entirely have the capability of beating Buffalo at least once and they always play Miami and New England tough.

The team is starting from scratch, but with the parity of the NFL and a new coach at the helm who just came from New England, don't think for one second the Jets are going into this season thinking they can't win and won't make the playoffs.

I'm not saying I think they will, but I think THEY think they can. New England and Miami also have their problems, as well.

As for running backs: I would bet Blaylock gets most of the action in game one, with a good chunk of Cedric Houston mixed in. I drafted Barlow late, but I just can't see him playing a lot of downs without learning the offense.

At some point , somebody will step up and begin to make some plays, my guess is Barlow. It all depends on injuries and effectiveness. I would guess by week 3 or 4, you will see a basically established starter.

Edited by The Waterboy

"...don't think for one second the Jets are going into this season thinking they can't win and won't make the playoffs.

I don't think anyone said that the Jets are going into the season thinking they can't win.

I said that I don't see them winning a game in the division. I base this on the fact that they are starting two rookie offensive linemen, they have a QB that has a questionable arm and who's greatest strength in the past has been the play-action pass (which he executes as well as anyone with the possible exception of Peyton Manning). Play action works well when you have Curtis Martin and a good offensive line. We'll see how it works with Derrick Blaylock, two rookie OLmen and no deep threat to keep the defense honest. The defense is good, but they'll wear down after being on the field 40 minutes every week. Barring defensive and special teams scores, the Jets won't average more than 13 PPG this year. I like Mangini, but he's not going to outcoach Bellichick or Saban. Maybe they get lucky and beat the Bills once, but I don't see them winning a game in the division.

If they win one, you can say my statement was "ludicrous". Until then, my opinion is as valid as anyone elses.

That's a bit of a different view ... care to amplify?

Not much to say.

Houston has stunk it up in the pre-season.

He only started games in 2005 due to Martin and Blaylock being injured. Not due to talent.

He won't be the 3rd down back since he's not as good as Blaylock or Washington at catching the ball.

He costs more than Washington.

He doesn't play special teams.

Seems like easy math to me.

Not much to say.

He only started games in 2005 due to Martin and Blaylock being injured. Not due to talent.

He won't be the 3rd down back since he's not as good as Blaylock or Washington at catching the ball.

Houston could be the short-yardage guy though. It won't be Blaylock.

And you may not like Houston but wait to see what you have in Barlow. You may be disappointed.

I do agree that Houston is obviously behind the other two though. No other reason for him to get 25 carries last night other than he was playing for a spot.

Not much to say.

What in the world are you talking about? Houston stunk it up in the preseason? What, was he farting on the bench? You must be some sort of insider.

Houston got almost no playing time at all in the preseason. You are clueless. Not looking to start a pissing contest, but, really.... Houston got almost zero playing time until last night, and he went 25 for 108. That was a very uniformed post. Houston missed a blitz pickup in game 1, and ONLY because Pennington nearly got hurt, he rode pine in the preseason after that. But.... NONE of the Jets RB's have been worth a chit in pass blocking.

News flash: Houston this year, at 218 lbs, is as fast as Blaylock is. MUCH better between the tackles, and showed some pretty good wiggle last night. Even the stats don't show how good he was last night... a first and ten at the Jets own 2, and he got 6 yards. not easy to do. Yes, it was against the Philly 2nd and 3rd teamers, but that's what was blocking for him too.... bubble players.

So far, I'm very happy with what Mangini has done, but if he cuts Houston (and that is possible) it will be his firts BIG mistake. Blaylock and Washington are both 3rd down RB's.... if Barlow busts.... only Houston can carry the rock 25 to 30 times, and always get some positive yardage. He is also pretty good at catching the ball. :D I hope you arent giving advice in the WDIS forum! :D

Subtract the stats from the following:

Game 1: Anything after the 10 minute mark of Quarter 1.

Game 2: Anything after the first half.

Game 3: Anything after the first half.

Game 4: Anything after the opening kickoff.

With the starters on the field, see what the stats say about the Dallas NY Jets run game. All the rest is seeing who is going to make the team.

Same thing, different team.

Only difference is to add Barlow as a viable option since he was incamp so late.

LOL, thanks Rovers

Everything you wrote reinforced the view that Houston stinks.

Especially where he ran for 100 yards against guys that will be roster cuts.

If you advise people to start Houston in the WDIS forum, I hope they ignore you bro.

Yer funny.

Riffraf, just to prove a point....

In the first three games of preseason (which is all you seem to want to count) :

Blaylock: 25 for 93

Houston: 19 for 70

About the same... Blaylock was at about 3.7 YPC, Houston at 3.65 or so. If you were watching, many of Houston's carries were in short yardage, while most of Blaylocks weren't. Even putting aside game 4 of the preseason, it's factually incorrect to say Houston showed nothing... compared to the other Jet RB's, his numbers are about the same. Add in game 4, (25 for 108) and your statement is even more off base. But, you don't want to include game 4, even though you didn't make that differentiation when you said Houston had shown nothing in the preseason. Take game 4 into account, and your opinion is even less founded in fact.

And, LOL, I never said I'd tell anyone to start Houston.... my comment was a reference to your "off the top of your head" impression, rather than an opinion based on fact. If that is how you judge players.... on incomplete biased impressions, not based on performance... I would think your advice would be faulty, at best.

When I post something that is this far "off base", I usually just bow out and run away! :D Yeah.... everyone gets it wrong sometimes, me included. However, I usually concede straight up when I do it, instead of digging a deeper hole. FF players have egos that don't match their winnings, me thinks. :D

Hey... Riff.... LOL.... I have Houston on one of my fantasy teams! :D I'm not biased.... much. But beyond that, I go to Jets TC alot... 7 this year I think it was, and I've met Cedric several times. I've been pulling for this kid since day 1. He's a really nice kid. I was getting pretty PO'd he wasn't getting more carries in the preseason, but I think last night saved him.... he made the final cut. I still think he could be an average to better than average RB in the NFL.

Notable Jets cuts: TE Dreessen, CB Mickens, S Maddox, FB Tutt.

Cool that he made the squad.

Never know, Barlow hasn't been known to own the fulltime gig. Anything can happen...

no way do I rule out Barlow here.... he's been the ad-hoc starter so far. The CS seems to like him. As a Jets fan, I'm not crazy about him. But yep.... anything can happen. The fact that Barlow and Blaylock didnt play last night is handwriting on the wall. They are 1 and 2.... but which one is #1? And how long will they be #1?

Mangini kept 4 RB's and only 2 FB's. Considering that both Barlow and Houston don't play special teams, that is also a telling tid bit. I suspect that FB Tutt will be stashed on the TS, unless he fails to get through waivers. Askew, who is a recieving FB, and fat boy Jamar martin (a big fat bowling ball FB) are the two FB's they kept.

SIGN OF THE APOCALYPSE

On a positive note, I finally got my season tix after 11 years on the waiting list! Can't wait to get out there and freeze my a$$ off watching this pathetic organization invent new ways of losing. I bleed green....and lot's of it.

:D

Edited by The Holy Roller

I don't think anyone said that the Jets are going into the season thinking they can't win.

I said that I don't see them winning a game in the division. I base this on the fact that they are starting two rookie offensive linemen, they have a QB that has a questionable arm and who's greatest strength in the past has been the play-action pass (which he executes as well as anyone with the possible exception of Peyton Manning). Play action works well when you have Curtis Martin and a good offensive line. We'll see how it works with Derrick Blaylock, two rookie OLmen and no deep threat to keep the defense honest. The defense is good, but they'll wear down after being on the field 40 minutes every week. Barring defensive and special teams scores, the Jets won't average more than 13 PPG this year. I like Mangini, but he's not going to outcoach Bellichick or Saban. Maybe they get lucky and beat the Bills once, but I don't see them winning a game in the division.

If they win one, you can say my statement was "ludicrous". Until then, my opinion is as valid as anyone elses.

:D Vet, you are the ultimate dark sider! Buffalo is very beatable... at least a split is a given, and a sweep isn't out of the question. The Jets always play Miami tough, so a split there can easilly happen. They could go 3-3 in the division.

Why? Well, it won't be because of the offense, but this D is very under rated, and will keep the Jets in most games. The D should score a bit on their own, and the Jets' special teams is still amoung the best in the NFL. Basically, if the offense is good enough to avoid really bad field position, the defense could carry this team to 6 to 8 wins, on the outside. I am looking for 6 to 7. The Jets ST's scored 2 TD's in the preseason. The only weakness on the D is against the up the middle running game.... but Mangini will bring the SS up in run support often. He also likes to blitz Rhodes on passing downs. Bryan Thomas had a great preseason rushing the QB from his new OLB spot. There is good depth at the DE spots.

Hey, I know we're looking at 2008, but in the meantime, all these people picking the Jets to win next year's draft lottery will be embarrassed, if they own up. 7 wins this year, 8 or 9 next year.... and then.... the SUPE in 2008! Have faith! :D

Hey, I know we're looking at 2008, but in the meantime, all these people picking the Jets to win next year's draft lottery will be embarrassed, if they own up. 7 wins this year, 8 or 9 next year.... and then.... the SUPE in 2008! Have faith! :D

I am willing to bet they dont win 7 games. You name the stakes.