[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Troy Brown

mroban

I just drafted Troy Brown with my last pick in my draft. Is it me or is he a super high quality sleeper pick this year? Hard to think of a veteran with his stature as a sleeper, but nobody is talking about him and he should be able to put up some pretty good numbers this year, especially with Branch holding out. Caldwell has never proved anything and Brown has Brady's trust. With the thin WR corps, I think Brady to Brown will be good for 80 receptions this year, maybe a tad less if Branch comes back a tad more if not. Ben Watson should be a big target too but I think Brown is going to do all the dirty work and be the consistent chain mover. Even if Branch comes back, Caldwell is a loser who couldnt beat out Eric Parker and the ancient Keenan McCardell. So now he is going to be trusted by Brady more than Brown? Dont think so. No Givens, no Branch, T. Brown will have a solid season and maybe more.

Sorry, but you're smokin' crack.

Troy Brown has only had three (out of his FOURTEEN NFL seasons) with 80+ catches, and that was '00, '01 and '02 - the height of the Pats' dominance. Again, FOURTEEN seasons. He's no spring chicken. Sure, he may get more PT on the offensive side of the ball, especially if Branch disappears. But that doesn't automatically translate into big numbers for Brown.

In fact, Branch himself has never had more than 78 catches (last season).

To think Brown could simply step right in and produce like Branch is somewhat foolish in my opinion.

you think branch wont be back?

If he is not back by next weekend when I draft I will treat Brown as the teams best WR.

I think he will be solid even if Branch comes back as I think Brown is better than Caldwell and knows the offense inside and out.

But if Branch does hold out I think Brown could be the sleeper of the year.

Troy Brown has only had three (out of his FOURTEEN NFL seasons) with 80+ catches, and that was '00, '01 and '02 - the height of the Pats' dominance. Again, FOURTEEN seasons. He's no spring chicken. Sure, he may get more PT on the offensive side of the ball, especially if Branch disappears. But that doesn't automatically translate into big numbers for Brown.

To think Brown could simply step right in and produce like Branch is somewhat foolish in my opinion.

The Pats are gonna throw the ball a ton. one of the WR's are gonna have Branch type stats.

I would approach my draft as if Branch is remaining a Patriot...

he has 1 week to negotiate a contract where he makes more than 6 mil a season and also have a team willing to give up a 1st and a player or a 2nd and a decent player....

this can't happen in 1 week...err, it could...but I wouldn't bet that it would happen...

actully ya. right now hes lookin pretty good but if branch comes back hes not gonna do anything

with or without Branch, Brown is seriously a hit or miss at best....

the best player in the passing game with or without Branch is Watson, clearly...

There's a reason they brought Caldwell in. Organizations like the Patriots don't bring stiffs in. Yeah, Caldwell couldn't crack the Bolts' starting lineup for very long, but he had flashes of brilliance and has supposedly looked good in camp and preseason.

Everyone knocks Jackson (like Caldwell, a Gator WR) for one reason or another, but some pegged him as the premier WR in the draft. Pats got a steal there. He will make an impact; especially if Branch is no longer on the team come Week 1.

OK, so Brown MAY have some value IF Branch is gone. But 80 catches is ridiculous. The Pats have two solid TEs (three if you count the rookie Thomas), a solid rookie with big time upside in Jackson and Caldwell

Without Branch, I could see it break down thusly:

Caldwell: 60 catches, 925 yards, 7 TDs

Brown: 45 catches, 700 yards, 3 TDs

Jackson: 40 catches, 750 yards, 4 TDs

Watson: 45 catches, 675 yards, 5 TDs

Graham: 25 catches, 275 yards, 2 TDs

And don't forget they have both Patrick Pass and Kevin Faulk, two very competent pass-catching RBs.

Edited by darin3

I just drafted Troy Brown with my last pick in my draft. Is it me or is he a super high quality sleeper pick this year? Hard to think of a veteran with his stature as a sleeper, but nobody is talking about him and he should be able to put up some pretty good numbers this year, especially with Branch holding out. Caldwell has never proved anything and Brown has Brady's trust. With the thin WR corps, I think Brady to Brown will be good for 80 receptions this year, maybe a tad less if Branch comes back a tad more if not. Ben Watson should be a big target too but I think Brown is going to do all the dirty work and be the consistent chain mover. Even if Branch comes back, Caldwell is a loser who couldnt beat out Eric Parker and the ancient Keenan McCardell. So now he is going to be trusted by Brady more than Brown? Dont think so. No Givens, no Branch, T. Brown will have a solid season and maybe more.

Not a bad move at all. I also nabbed Brown off of the wire in my 12 team auction league. I think he will be huge this year, of course that all relies on whether Branch comes back to the Pats or not. I think Brady will go to the who he is the most comfortable with. I like Watson and I think he will be used a lot also. If Branch doesn't sign in time for week 1 - I am putting Brown in my line up and I actually like him for 80 yards and a score vs. the Bills. Just my opinion.

Doesn't this make Watson a good hybrid TE/WR fantasy-wise? A TE that gets WR like looks.

He was there in the 9th round in HOT.

Doesn't this make Watson a good hybrid TE/WR fantasy-wise? A TE that gets WR like looks.

I think you could bump Watson up a notch or two (perhaps into the Witten/L.J. Smith range) if Branch goes away. Perhaps even into the bottom of the first tier of TEs.

I'm also approaching my drafts as if Branch remains a Pat.

And, to speak a bit more to this topic, check out this thread from the Patsfans boards regarding life without Branch. Hardly anything glowing about Brown in there, except if you count "Brown will get his normal 40 catches" as glowing. :D

:D Why?

The teams in their conference's secondaries are not what they have been in the past.

Many of this years options are newer and I think that Brady will go with what he knows a little more.

I really had Branch having a break out year before all of this.and if he comes back I think he still will. if he leaves..I think that just makes Brown and his understanding of the offense alot better.

The teams in their conference's secondaries are not what they have been in the past.

Many of this years options are newer and I think that Brady will go with what he knows a little more.

I really had Branch having a break out year before all of this.and if he comes back I think he still will. if he leaves..I think that just makes Brown and his understanding of the offense alot better.

Fair enough, but in response...

Only one team in the conference has seen wholesale changes to their secondaries. Buffalo is still ultra-strong. The Jets have added new starting corners but should be fine with two solid safeties. And Miami, as earlier indicated, has had some changes. I seriously doubt this will be a determining factor in Brown (or Branch for that matter) having any more stellar of a season than if the secondaries were all returning solid starters.

I do agree, however, that Brady is the type of QB that will look to his veteran ball-catchers more. But, remember that Brady - in this offense - spreads the ball around a ton. So perhaps Brown gets a FEW more looks than the newer guys. Again, nothing to make me think that he's gonna go from ~40 catches to 80+.

If Branch returns, I too see him improving on his stats from last year (78 catches, 998 yards, 5 TDs). I'd put him in the 80-90 catch range, over 1,000 yards (say 1,100) and 9 TDs. I just can't see the 14-year veteran Brown putting those kinds of numbers up.

The Pats' best receiver is................

Ben Watson................duh

Fair enough, but in response...

Only one team in the conference has seen wholesale changes to their secondaries. Buffalo is still ultra-strong. The Jets have added new starting corners but should be fine with two solid safeties. And Miami, as earlier indicated, has had some changes. I seriously doubt this will be a determining factor in Brown (or Branch for that matter) having any more stellar of a season than if the secondaries were all returning solid starters.

I do agree, however, that Brady is the type of QB that will look to his veteran ball-catchers more. But, remember that Brady - in this offense - spreads the ball around a ton. So perhaps Brown gets a FEW more looks than the newer guys. Again, nothing to make me think that he's gonna go from ~40 catches to 80+.

If Branch returns, I too see him improving on his stats from last year (78 catches, 998 yards, 5 TDs). I'd put him in the 80-90 catch range, over 1,000 yards (say 1,100) and 9 TDs. I just can't see the 14-year veteran Brown putting those kinds of numbers up.

IMO the Jets and Dolphins are going to be much worse in their secondaries. and the Bills IMO will be worse just because the team will be better. in that I mean teams will be forced to throw on them more than last year. last year they were so easy to run on noone had to pass on them. I know they will not be great this year but I think improved enough. I know you understood but many will look at the conference and say"so what if their conference is worse at protecting against the pass" .that is 6 games where they could be improved against the pass.conference means alot as I know you know Darin.

I agree Brady does spread it around. and will this year too. I just think if Branch is not there he will be looking for Brown on a many, many 3rd downs. and if he is starting he will also be useful on other than 3rd downs. IMO he becomes the teams number 1 target.

Your numbers on Branch is about what I figured for him this year too. and IMO if Branch is gone Brown gets alot of those stats.

I would not go so far as guarenteeing Brown gets off this season. I just have a 14 team draft coming up and with 1 of my last picks I may grab Brown. I personally see some upside.

The Pats' best receiver is................

Ben Watson................duh

Brown had better stats than Watson as the teams 3rd reciever last year brother brent.

Their number 2 WR is gone and their number 1 is holding out.

I like Watson as a good TE my silly friend. but I do not think he will get the stats of the Pats number 1 or 2 WR.

But I am sure you do Brent. :D

well, I drafted him with the last pick in my draft. Id say thats good value for a guy with a chance to be a top WR on a top squad. Im not advocating spending a high pick on him. Just worth drafting and taking a flier. I think the upside for a guy you can get that late is huge.

There's a reason they brought Caldwell in. Organizations like the Patriots don't bring stiffs in. Yeah, Caldwell couldn't crack the Bolts' starting lineup for very long, but he had flashes of brilliance and has supposedly looked good in camp and preseason.

He's actually had a very difficult time learning the offense and is therefore looking like junk right now. That's not to say that he won't be solid when he acclimates, but who knows when that will be? He wouldn't be the first to simply never get the hang of the Pats' O.

This is kind of a moot point. The Pats sent Branch out to gather up all the offers he could find. But he will likely find that nobody is willing to pony up more than the Pats have offered. Branch will tuck his tail between his legs, sign up, and be in the starting lineup week 1. That is the most likely outcome here.

Edited by rattsass