[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kerry Collins to Sign with Titans

spain

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../608280359/1027

Monday, 08/28/06

Titans plan on a visit from Collins

If physical passed, could sign soon

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

Less than two weeks before the start of the regular season, the Titans are preparing to add another quarterback to the mix in veteran Kerry Collins.

Dialogue between the two sides heated up over the weekend, and plans were being made on Sunday for Collins to visit Baptist Sports Park in the coming days to take a physical, according to sources familiar with the talks.

If he passes the physical and the two sides can agree to terms on a contract, Collins could be on the roster before the team's final preseason game at Green Bay on Friday.

Neither Titans General Manager Floyd Reese nor Coach Jeff Fisher could be reached for comment Sunday night. Efforts to reach Collins' agent, David Dunn, were unsuccessful.

Collins, 33, played the past two seasons with the Raiders, but he remains unsigned and has made it clear he's looking for his best opportunity for playing time. It's unclear what role he would have with the Titans, but at this point in his career, it's unlikely he'd be willing to sign and be happy with a backup role.

Collins has indicated he's interested in joining the Titans, who are currently led by starter Billy Volek. Rookie quarterback Vince Young is the backup, with Matt Mauck No. 3 on the depth chart.

Before the start of training camp, Dunn told The Tennessean he'd been in contact with Reese and said, "Tennessee would obviously be an attractive place'' for Collins. But Dunn said he was waiting on a commitment from the Titans. Reese shot down talk of the Titans' interest in Collins last month, and said he'd be "shocked' if something developed further.

Volek's struggles in the preseason apparently led to renewed interest in Collins. n

Collins has started 145 NFL games. Volek, who took over for the departed Steve McNair, has 10 NFL starts.

Collins has played for the Panthers, Saints, Giants and Raiders, and has thrown for 33,637 yards, 173 touchdowns and 166 interceptions.

A year ago, Collins started 15 games for Oakland, completing 302-of-565 passes for 3,759 yards, 20 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

Collins has thrown for over 3,100 yards the past six seasons, including the 2002 season when he threw for 4,073 yards with the Giants. He guided New York to the Super Bowl during the 2000 season, and has played in two NFC Championship Games. •

Not sure why he thinks he'll get playing time in TEN. It's too late in camp for him to be the opening day starter, and if/when Volek fails, the fans sure won't be chanting for Collins to replace him.

At least other veteran QBs on teams with top rookies in the wings get a chance to flame out or get injured before the highly-touted kid comes in (see: Kurt Warner, NYG, 2004, and probably ARI, 2006). So I'm not sure what the upside for Collins is, here.

I'm not entirely sure why Oakland didn't resign him. I'd take Collins over Brooks any day.

I think that this just insurance. If Volek gets hurt in weeks 1-6, then throw Collins out there and keep the pressure off of Young. After that, you can play Young whenever you feel he is ready rather than being forced to play him.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../608280359/1027

..... "he remains unsigned and has made it clear he's looking for his best opportunity for playing time. It's unclear what role he would have with the Titans, but at this point in his career, it's unlikely he'd be willing to sign and be happy with a backup role".....

Any homer in-sight Spain?? (Could be worth a couple of goats......or a sheep if the scoop is good enough). :D

Earlier, I was hoping that the Vikings would go after him. He's not the most talented QB out there but he's got a ton of game experience. I would have liked to have him backing up Brad Johnson for sure (would make me feel a lot better than looking back there and seeing Mike McMahon or the rookie Tavaris Jackson). Will be a good pick up for TEN if this happens IMHO.

I dont know if its Volek, the offense line, the scheme, the wr's, or all of the above. But the offense has looked pathetic in the preseason. They arent moving the ball at all. The offense has no rhythm whatsoever. I think Volek is the opening day starter, no matter what. But if he doesnt ignite the team, then they can at least fall back on Collins, without having to throw VY in there too early. How long will it take Collins to learn the offense is the question.

So according to Rotoworld, it looks like Collins could be the starter in Tennessee.

Kerry Collins is expected to start Tennessee's Week 1 game against the Jets.

Just to make the situation more baffling, the Titans will probably start Vince Young in their preseason finale. Billy Volek may not even make the trip. We think Collins is an upgrade from Volek, and a draftable late QB2, but the timing of his signing still makes no sense.

Billy Volek may not even make the team trip to their preseason finale this week.

This appears to be Volek's choice - he wants out fast. He's probably not going to play for the Titans again. While it's a tough spot for Volek, he may look back and realize he had a better chance to start some games in 2006 if he shut his mouth and tried to outplay Collins. Take him off your draft boards.

How does Collins fit into your QB rankings? Would you place him ahead of guys like Chad Pennington, Alex Smith, and Charlie Frye? Or does he fall to the very bottom of the list behind a poor offensive line, and with Vince Young lurking over his shoulder?