[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Random Patriots Thoughts

I know its only preseason but are the Patriots playing at such a high level. I'm not getting two excited but here are some random thoughts.

- NE offense is going to be scary good. Brady just makes this offense go. Even though they are thin at WR they probably have the best TE's in the league. Brady really spreads the ball around that you really don't need a #1. If and when Branch comes back it will make that offense that much better.

- The running backs are unbelievable deep. Dillon looks like he ran back in 2004, Maroney will be the next LT in 3 years, Faulk look great recieve out of the backfield on 3rd down. Patrick Cobbs looks so damn shifty. This group is so deep.

- The defense to my surprise has been very solid. The results have been so solid defensively, the Patriots outscoring thier opponents, 71-3, over the last two games.

- Seau actually look good for the short time he played. I think its just a plug hole until Bruschi comes back though.

- They are so deep in the Secondary that its scary.

- Stephen Gostkowski, the rookie kicker has been good thus far but who knows how he will respond when the winds start swirling and the temperature drops below 40 degrees. It might be mid-to-late January until anyone knows if he passes the test. He could be 20 for 20, looking great, and then it comes down to a big kick in the playoffs.

- I think combined with an easy schedule that Patriots could go 11-5 or possible 12-4 this year.

Some experts are saying:

Joe Theisman : `I believe Tom Brady is the best quarterback in football today, and it starts with him. If you have Tom Brady, he'll make up for anything that might be missed on that side of the ball."

Randy Cross: `Their execution level the last two games, even though it's the preseason, is a little bit scary"

I was totally with you all the way until you threw in Theisman's quote. Edit it and get it out. Nothing that guy says means anything to anyone else.

I agree. I'm pretty sure that Theisman isn't even aware of his lips flapping, never mind the words coming out of them.

sorry to break it to you guys...but this is one time that theismann is dead on with his assessment

and the backfield does appear to be deep...i think patrick pass will be saying bye bye...i dont think belichick ever really liked the guy...and he hasnt been practicing...although they could throw him on IR too...at this point i think cobbs would be a candidate for the practice squad...but id be afraid of someone signing him off it....he reminds me of a young faulk, hopefully with less of a penchant for putting the ball on the ground

as far ar junior...theres nothing wrong with having him around...ill take having him and tedy inside together on a 3-4 on 1st and second down for 20 plays a game....depth and verstatility....the pats are really hoping that tully banta cain can be a key contributor, and so far it looks like hes ready, on the outside so they can have vrabel inside...

sorry to break it to you guys...but this is one time that theismann is dead on with his assessment

and the backfield does appear to be deep...i think patrick pass will be saying bye bye...i dont think belichick ever really liked the guy...and he hasnt been practicing...although they could throw him on IR too...at this point i think cobbs would be a candidate for the practice squad...but id be afraid of someone signing him off it....he reminds me of a young faulk, hopefully with less of a penchant for putting the ball on the ground

as far ar junior...theres nothing wrong with having him around...ill take having him and tedy inside together on a 3-4 on 1st and second down for 20 plays a game....depth and verstatility....the pats are really hoping that tully banta cain can be a key contributor, and so far it looks like hes ready, on the outside so they can have vrabel inside...

Who gives a crap is Theismann happens to be right in this particular instance? He's a complete tool and his quote hurts the credibility of an otherwise solid post.

Who gives a crap is Theismann happens to be right in this particular instance? He's a complete tool and his quote hurts the credibility of an otherwise solid post.

Agreed. That was my point too. I thought the post was bang on but just didn't like the Theisman quote.

I know its only preseason but are the Patriots playing at such a high level. I'm not getting two excited but here are some random thoughts.

- NE offense is going to be scary good. Brady just makes this offense go. Even though they are thin at WR they probably have the best TE's in the league. Brady really spreads the ball around that you really don't need a #1. If and when Branch comes back it will make that offense that much better.

- The running backs are unbelievable deep. Dillon looks like he ran back in 2004, Maroney will be the next LT in 3 years, Faulk look great recieve out of the backfield on 3rd down. Patrick Cobbs looks so damn shifty. This group is so deep.

- The defense to my surprise has been very solid. The results have been so solid defensively, the Patriots outscoring thier opponents, 71-3, over the last two games.

- Seau actually look good for the short time he played. I think its just a plug hole until Bruschi comes back though.

- They are so deep in the Secondary that its scary.

- Stephen Gostkowski, the rookie kicker has been good thus far but who knows how he will respond when the winds start swirling and the temperature drops below 40 degrees. It might be mid-to-late January until anyone knows if he passes the test. He could be 20 for 20, looking great, and then it comes down to a big kick in the playoffs.

- I think combined with an easy schedule that Patriots could go 11-5 or possible 12-4 this year.

Some experts are saying:

Joe Theisman : `I believe Tom Brady is the best quarterback in football today, and it starts with him. If you have Tom Brady, he'll make up for anything that might be missed on that side of the ball."

Randy Cross: `Their execution level the last two games, even though it's the preseason, is a little bit scary"

Few of things. One. Dillon, imho, has looked awful. He's slow to the hole and has continually run up the backs of lineman. He can't move laterally if a freight train was coming at him. If there's not a large hole open and waiting when he gets to the line, he's going nowhere. I don't think it will take more than 5 weeks or so until Maroney is getting 75% or more of the carries (at least between the two of them, Faulk will get his regardless of who is the starter). Two. The kicker is nothing special. But just ebcause he's kicking for this team, he's a lock for 110, and may not go much higher; this team wiull score lots of tds. Three. Watson is going to the Pro Bowl this year. He's uncoverable by a LB or S, and way to big for a CB to handle. The Pats are the masters of exploiting match-ups that favor them, and this will be one all season. Four. I agree, the Pats go 11-5 this season.

I'm an avid Pats fan as well but I'm more skeptical than anything this year. While I think the O will still put up its points (I like how Maroney has looked - the running game looks better than it has in recent memory), the D clearly isn't what it was a few years ago. I also agree that Watson is due for a big year, but Brady needs another reliable target or 2 in case teams focus on Watson and just try to keep the ball out of his hands . . . Troy is a solid 3rd WR, but he simply can't be the #2 option on this team if we want the O to excel. Getting Branch back will/would be a giant relief from where I sit.