[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HELP COMMISH WITH FAIR TRADE

smithta3

Clarification (added after the first 22 or so responses):

I'm commish of a league (standard scoring, 6 pts for all TDs), and have this trade on the table. I was going to allow the trade, but a number of league members have objected strongly to the trade. Here's the story.

The Trade:

Team A gets:

Peyton Manning

Chad Johnson

Team B gets:

Steve Smith

Antonio Gates

Drew Bledsoe

Here are the objections being raised by those who want this trade overturned:

1. Team B went off the map on draft night (3rd round pick: Priest Holmes; 5th Round Pick: Sam Aiken) and then talked smack defending his picks. Everyone is now concerned that he doesn't know what he's doing and that he will make dumb trades giving away players. Last week, for instance, he tried to give up Peyton in exchange for Rod Smith and Mike Bell, which was quickly voted down by the league.

2. Team B already has 2 QBs (Brunell and Green) which could be seen as close to Bledsoe's quality, so it is being argued to me that Bledsoe should not be considered in weighing the trade. Thus, the trade boils down to Manning and Johnson for Smith and Gates.

Thanks everyone for providing an objective view here. I think Team B's idiocy has got people riled up against him, and I wanted to come back with the whole story so I can go back to the angry owners with input from people outside of the league.

Edited by smithta3

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am comissioner of a league (my first year as commish, 5th playing ffl) and am trying to decide whether or not the following trade is fair:

Team A gets:

Peyton Manning, Chad Johnson

Team B gets:

Steve Smith, Antonio Gates, Drew Bledsoe

This seems clearly to favor Team A, to the point of being unfair to the rest of the league. Your thoughts? Please help!

Please explain why you think this trade is unfair. That you are a commish and are questioning this makes me wonder about your qualifications, to be honest.

Without knowing your scoring system and lineup requirements...

Steve Smith and Chad Johnson are equal players (considering a game has not been played)

# one TE in Gates plus a top QB for the #1 QB. Seems equal again.

Why would you question this trade?? Again... no games have been played yet how can you say any trade is not fair.

PS Would you have vetoed this trade at the beginning of last year? If so you would have clearly made an error!

If someone last year traded Duece McAllister for Larry Johnson and Samkon Gado in the preseason would you have vetoed that?? I am assuming yes. BUT which would you have rather had at the end of the season???

Unless you can prove collusion NEVER veto a trade, especially before any games have been played!!!

Why are you involved anyway? Are other owners objecting? Seems you may be taking your role a bit to seriously...FWIW.

Been a commish in my home league for about 5 years now and think I have had to break a tie on one trade so far. For us, if the majority veto, then that's it. I only get involved if it's a tie, and like I said, that's been once in 5 years.

It is not for you to decide "fair" or "unfair" ... since we all have our own opinions of how players will perform we all have various ideas of "fair" and "unfair".

Did the owners conspire to load one team, i.e. is there collusion? If not whether YOU think the trade is fair or not is irrelevant. It is not YOUR job or your league's job to manage the individual rosters as YOU or IT sees as "fair".

A commish should never make a decision on a trade based on whether it's fair or not. Your job is to rule on collusion or some other agredious violation of the rules. Stupid people should be allowed to make trades too.

In this case that is a pretty fair trade. I don't care who bitches about it, it HAS to be let through.

I am comissioner of a league (my first year as commish, 5th playing ffl) and am trying to decide whether or not the following trade is fair:

Team A gets:

Peyton Manning, Chad Johnson

Team B gets:

Steve Smith, Antonio Gates, Drew Bledsoe

This seems clearly to favor Team A, to the point of being unfair to the rest of the league. Your thoughts? Please help!

You state that it is unfair to the league, how is this? And FYI, it only has to be fair to the 2 teams making the trade and that it is!

A commish should never make a decision on a trade based on whether it's fair or not. Your job is to rule on collusion or some other agredious egregious violation of the rules. Stupid people should be allowed to make trades too.

In this case that is a pretty fair trade. I don't care who bitches about it, it HAS to be let through.

Perfectly said. Back away and leave it be, else you open up a can of worms. You protect the INTEGRITY of the league. This is a perfectly good trade.