[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I must be feezing in he!...

Flypaste

Raiders sign Jeff George

By JOSH DUBOW - AP Sports Writer

2006-08-28 16:25

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -The Oakland Raiders signed Jeff George to a contract Monday, bringing back a player who hasn't thrown an NFL pass in five seasons.

George, the No. 1 overall pick by Indianapolis in 1990, joined the team in time for Monday's afternoon practice. He previously played for the Raiders in 1997-98, starting 23 games and throwing 33 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.

It is not immediately clear what his role will be on the Raiders, who already have Aaron Brooks, Andrew Walter and Marques Tuiasosopo on the roster.

George played with the Colts from 1990-93. He was in Atlanta from 1994-96, then spent two seasons with Oakland and one with Minnesota before joining the Redskins in 2000, first as a backup. He was signed by Seattle as insurance midway through the 2002 season, but didn't play. Chicago signed him late in the 2004 season, but he never played for the Bears either.

George, known for his strong arm and clashes with coaches, has a 46-78 career record as a starter and has never lasted longer than four years with any one of them.

George hasn't played since 2001, when he was cut after two games with the Redskins. In his last two games with Washington, George had a quarterback rating of 34.6, completing 23 of 42 passes with three interceptions.

In his next-to-last game with Washington, he and coach Marty Schottenheimer had an animated sideline discussion after George committed four turnovers and was removed from the game.

George also had a sideline argument with coach June Jones when he was with the Atlanta Falcons in 1996, and the team suspended him and then cut him.

George played well his first season in Oakland, throwing for 3,917 yards and 29 touchdowns in 1997. He struggled with injuries the following season, starting only seven games, and was replaced the following season by Rich Gannon, who was a better fit in coach Jon Gruden's West Coast offense.

Great now i get to read a lovely article about him from Jason Whitlock from the KC Star. He has wanted them to sign him every year for god knows how long. :D

Is Jason Whitlock the fat,black guy on ESPN?If it's who I'm thinking of,I'd rather be locked in a room listening to a debate between Theisman and Steven A. Jackson,than ever have to listen to another spoken word from him.

Is Jason Whitlock the fat,black guy on ESPN?If it's who I'm thinking of,I'd rather be locked in a room listening to a debate between Theisman and Steven A. Jackson,than ever have to listen to another spoken word from him.

That's him :D You're thinking of the sports reporters, he's on there about every week. He's also a guest writer for ESPN.

Great move!!

What are the Raiders doing? Trying to corner the market on meathead quarterbacks? :D

I love it! :D

Jeff George was nothing short of awesome when he played for the Vikings... I'm glad he's back on the field somewhere... he's like the TO of QB's. :D

Funny, I was going to say the exact same thing about the TO of QBs. Maybe they can ride bikes together and complain about the coaches.

For what it's worth, Moss has played with him before. I remember Randy mentioning one time that he, Cris Carter, and Jeff George were all working great together because they're all such competitors. :D

...hmmm...

I had forgotten that Moss and George played together in MIN.

I'm wondering if Shell or Davis asked Moss what he thought of George before signing him...

The guy knows how to chuck the ball to Moss...but then again he's a locker room cancer

Something must be up with Walter's shoulder injury. He sat out last weekend's game because of "tired" arm...was serious enough to have an MRI for it....nothing was found structuraly wrong though. If Walter is healthy though, Tui will be on his way out of Oakland very soon, possibly to Tampa.