[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your first ever draft

weirhead

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Computer drafted for me. I spent the whole year on the WW plug and playing players into my roster. Somehow I won the league. Talk about beginers luck!

+1 :D

I was a homer, though, and dropped my autopicked MIN QB for the STL QB. And then got his backup just in case.

The year was 1999-2000 :D

Lucky sob. :D

My first year was 1995. The night before the season started, my two brothers and a couple of friends and I decided to start a league. We had 5 teams and everyone had a bye every few weeks. First pick overall was Steve Young, followed by Emmitt. I picked Dan Marino third and Jerry Rice went fourth.

I don't remember if it was a 16 team league then or not...but I had the last pick

took

Warren Moon and Chris Carter back to back

I also ended up with Jake Reed. I dropped Reed in Week 1 for Terrance Mathis and went on to play in the Super Bowl and came up Second. Not bad for a newb

Damn good...I remember the year...1997 my first 3 picks were

-Marshal Faulk

-Carl Pickens

-Terrell Davis

Most of the other guys were rookies as it was a bunch of friends from college getting back together.

Anyway, I remember the funniest of quotes after I took Terrell Davis...

One guy said, "You already have a running back". LMAO...Yea, I know I need 3 more. Faulk wasn't that good that year, but davis was a monster and Pickens was good as well.

First year in a league, I drafted Steve Young 1.12 and Eddie G 2.01. Steve never played that year, but it was always a "he'll play next week" so I kept plugging him in the following week. Good thing that my backup QB was Beuerlein. I won the league that first year. Haven't since and no longer play in that league.

I don't remember who I drafted where except I took Michael Irvin in the 1st round and John Elway in the 2nd round. At some point I took Eric Metcalf and thats when someone handed me a cheat sheet. Too little too late. I ended up with Mario Bates as a RB, I can't even think of the othe one. I won 1 game that year, but I learned my lesson.

my first ever FF league (IDP) autodrafted.

i ended up ok. finished 6th out of 12.

biggest rookie mistake was after looking at my autodraft team i was scratching my head as to why Allen Rossum was drafted in like the 10th round. i was looking at his stats and he had almost no defensive stats... no tackles, no ints, no nothing. I dropped him.

I didn't take into account the league's points for return yardage. Rossum proceeded to finish the season with more points than all but about 8-10 RBs. :D

The year...was 1998. I was invited to the draft about 3 hours before it started, always thought that "fantasy football thing" would be fun, so I bought a regular NFL preview magazine to study beforehand. Ended up taking 2nd place...

Favre (1st pick of the draft - didn't quite pan out)

Fred Taylor (team MVP - a free agent ack)

Faulk

Hearst

Curtis Martin (I was loaded at RB - all 4 of these guys had big years. Could only start 2)

Jimmy Smith

Terrell Owens (MVP runner-up - his breakout year, maybe another ack)

Wycheck

Richie Cunningham

Packers Def

Edited by TheCMB

I don't remember if it was a 16 team league then or not...but I had the last pick

took

Warren Moon and Chris Carter back to back

I also ended up with Jake Reed. I dropped Reed in Week 1 for Terrance Mathis and went on to play in the Super Bowl and came up Second. Not bad for a newb

You're like the Forrest Gump of fantasy football.

1st year was last year. Drafted 16th in a 16 team league. My 1st 2 picks were Jamal Lewis and Trent Green.

During the season I made some significant trades picking up Edge, Holt, Gates and Housh. Ended up in 2nd, losing in the final to the LJ owner.

A few more years and I'll figure this FF thing out.

In 1994 I started the season 1-4 then 4-5 after trading J. Kelly & C. Pickins for S. Mitchell and A. Reed, I ended up with a 11-6 record and 2nd place. Not to bad for my first ever fantasy football league. I just wanted to share that it's possible to come out of a nightmare start in your first league.

My original roster before the trade

J. Kelly

B. Sanders

H. Green Eventually T. Allen would get the start every week

Sterling sharpe

Keith Jackson

C. Pickins

R. Moore

J. Carney

49ers defense

I don't remember what their draft positions were, but I picked up James, Harrison, and Vanderjerk. The rest of the team was mediocre. Came in 4th in the playoffs just by dumb luck. I didn't think I did too bad by the fact that I could count the total number of NFL football games I had watched on a single hand.

That was 2 years ago. Last year I missed the payoffs by .5 of a point in one league. The other league I was in I was in the division from hell where I was 3rd, but would have been in 1st in any other division.

I don't remember how many teams I think it was 12. I don't remember how the draft went, I know I ended up with E. Smith, H. Moore and L. Centers and B. Favre they were my top players. I think this was the year after Emmitt set the TD record, 1996? I definitely did not get what I expected out of Emmitt. Favre had a great year and I did ok in general. Snuck into the playoffs and lost in the first round.

I had a partner my first year in FF (1995), and I wasn't at the draft, so he drafted our team. To be honest, the league existed the year before, so pretty much everyone was returned from that previous year, since it was a bunch of guys who worked at the same place, so my partner did have the experience of drafting the year before I joined. Anyway, we ended up with Marshall Faulk and William Floyd (the year he blew out his knee). I did manufacture 2 trades taht season that helped out a lot though.

Trade #1 - Sent Warren Moon and Jeff Blake and $5 for Brett Favre

Trade #2 - Sent Marcus Allen, Lonnie Williams, Calvin Williams and $5 for Michael Irvin

So for the most part, our lineup was (in a TD only league, mandatory TE)

Favre

Faulk

The dreaded fantasy RBBC including Ronnie Harmon, Derek Fenner, Eric Bienemy, and others.

Tim Brown

Michael Irvin

Jay Novacek

Chris Boniol

We won the championship that year, but finished the season at 8-6 and were a wildcard team.

The next year I attended the draft, and although I can't really remember who we drafted (it might of been the year we had Favre, Terry Allen when he had the monster year in Was., Tony Martin, and Adrian Murrell) we started out 7-0 and won our division before bowing out early in the playoffs.

Edited by SeductiveNun

Back in the early 90's I was invited to join a basic scoring fantasy league at work. Hell, at that time I was just starting to follow football and the whole fantasy football concept was foreign to me.

I went out and purchased a magazine and it was clear to me that the highest scoring players were the kickers.

I wanted Chip Lohmiller but ended up drafting Pete Stoyanovich with the 5th pick in the first round, BECAUSE LOHMILLER WAS DRAFTED BEFORE ME.

Edited by Grits and Shins