[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Bell not given week 1 starter status...

samurai30

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said Mike Bell's starting job for Week 1 isn't secure.

Just Shanahan being Shanahan. "I'm not going to go through the playing time or the depth chart, we'll all find out when we open the season against the Rams who the starting running back will be," Shanahan told the team's website. Asked if Mike Bell's spot on the depth chart could change, the Mastermind replied, "I think that's what I just said." Expect the Bell's to split carries, although the team's third back, possibly Cedric Cobbs, may also get a crack during the season.

Source: DenverBroncos.com

Not surprising after Mike Bell's weekend performance. Anyone who thought that the Denver RB situation was going to be figured out week 1 of preseason was kidding themselves.

Last game against the Texans:

Cobbs 7 rushes 54 yds 1TD

T. Bell 10/36/1

M. Bell 9/20/0

As always the situation is as clear as the Marlboro Mans lungs....

Another rollercoaster ride with Shanny in '06

Edited by smrt

Well, I'll admit that I am nervous as a M. Bell owner but there is still one game left before preseason. I think (hope) that Shanahan could be trying to scare M. Bell a bit to see if he really deserves the job or not. Bronco Billy has had some good posts about this. I still think M. Bell will get the job. If T. Bell is so good why has he not got the job nailed down? I would be more nervous of Cobbs than Tatum. Here is to hoping that Mike Bell get sthe job! :D

DenverBroncos.com Story

Take a look at the story, and you'll get a little more insight into the situation. Cobbs has looked great, and has a very high ypc compared to the Bell boys... but...

Mike Shanahan has taken notice of Cobbs' play. However, he notes that preseason success is only one part of the evaluation equation.

"I think Cedric's been doing an excellent job," Shanahan said. "We're trying to evaluate him, not only in game situations, but in practice.

"You have to keep in mind that he's going against the second, third and fourth teams and that's part of the evaluation process. Cedric has played very well."

Cobbs leads the Broncos in rushing through the preseason, gaining 161 yards on 28 carries.

-- Don Schwartz

Says Who? If he can't take the job from Ron Dayne, he sucks asssee imo. T.Bell would never be considered a starting back for any other team, imo.

Agreed, being the most recognizable and tenured name doesn't make you the most talented.

I kinda agree though, that Tatum Bell is the most talented. I just think that he might be more suited for a team that would give him some freedom to make plays, rather than hit that hole and go. However, this is coming from a guy who hasn't watched him extensively either...

I kinda agree though, that Tatum Bell is the most talented. I just think that he might be more suited for a team that would give him some freedom to make plays, rather than hit that hole and go. However, this is coming from a guy who hasn't watched him extensively either...

not when the coach has to tell him to bulk up....plus he can't stay healthy or be consistent past 10 carries....

Well, us Bell owners have no one to blame but ourselves for this. We are the one who took the chance with one of them and played Russian Roulette, especially since we know the stupid tactics that our beloved Broncos buddy shows. No matter what is said right now, it means nothing. I beleive that someone is trying to be motivated by Skeletor. I would like a Broncos homer to weigh in on this as I rolled the dice and have Bell as a #2 because I went with value with rounds 2-4. Yeah, you have to take chances in FF. I did and will hope that it pans out. I have F. Taylor as a #3 :D but think he will actually be OK this year. What will this post look like after the 4th game? :D Where is BB when you need him?

He still has tremedous upside. Don't tell me tatum is not talented. Sometimes it take rbs a few years to figure things out.

They all have upside but BB had a nice post on Tatum and his carries in a game. His later carries were far less in yards than his first 10 or so. That tells me he slows down or is just not in shape. I would like to see M. Bell with a full load before I kick him to the curb.

He still has tremedous upside. Don't tell me tatum is not talented. Sometimes it take rbs a few years to figure things out.

I didn't tell you he wasn't talented :D don't put words in my mouth...

I was saying he needs to be more productive when his carry totals hit or get near double digits

I didn't tell you he wasn't talented :D don't put words in my mouth...

I was saying he needs to be more productive when his carry totals hit or get near double digits

Maybe he will finally this year do that. I think mike bell is being used as a motivator for others...he's an undrafted rookie who has a chip on his shoulder and will work harder then everyone else to make up for the lack of talent. Shanny likes those guys. But is he someone to rely on?...only time will tell...I say no. He was weak against the lions...he played well against the titans who have no run d what so ever....and finally he didn't do that well against the texans. Mike runs hard but has poor vision and elusiveness....he's slow too

Edited by samurai30

Maybe he will finally this year do that. I think mike bell is being used as a motivator for others...he's an undrafted rookie who has a chip on his shoulder and will work harder then everyone else to make up for the lack of talent. Shanny likes those guys. But is he someone to rely on?...only time will tell...I say no. He was weak against the lions...he played well against the titans who have no run d what so ever....and finally he didn't do that well against the texans. Mike runs hard but has poor vision and elusiveness....he's slow too

he outproduced Tatum against the Titans...and tatum outproduced him against the Texans.....

to say "maybe he will finally this year do that"....he'd have to already show promise....he would have came into camp motivated enough for there to be no question that he beat out an "undrafted rookie"...

he outproduced Tatum against the Titans...and tatum outproduced him against the Texans.....

to say "maybe he will finally this year do that"....he'd have to already show promise....he would have came into camp motivated enough for there to be no question that he beat out an "undrafted rookie"...

Its unfair to say how tatum will be from the preseason....I think we already know what he is capable of the past 2 seasons; spectacular, good, and having so so games. This won't be resolved during the preseason thats for sure. I think shanny will go for the hot hand game to game. Tatum bell and mike bell should be no higher then #4 guys on teams this year.....well maye pushing a #3 i think, but barely

Edited by samurai30

I guess no one has been listening to me. Oh well. You will all lose out on Tatum Bell. Fine with me. Lets see Bell has had close to a 1000 yard season as a backup. Shanny said his only problem with Bell is that his YPC drop after 10 carries (meaning get your but in shape to carry the load so you can be a friggin beast...please). He grabs an undrafted Rook who has done NOTHING AT ALL in the preseason except have some "nice practices". You know how many crap RB's have had "nice practices"?

Again, I am just happy I stole Tatum Bell. You guys jump around for a guy who has done nothing.