[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Denver RB Situation: Mike Bell, Tatum Bell, Cedric Cobbs

DeezNuts

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bell is my 5th RB. I don;t need luck. But the same to you.

:D I guess you sure put your money where your mouth is, then...

"Tatum Bell WILL be the starter for one of the most prolific running teams in the NFL, and to prove it... I drafted him after 4 other running backs!"

All I'm saying is that Shanahan does not believe Tatum can be the starter. Tatum plays a great fill-in roll when the defense is worn down. That's what he's good at. I hope we continue to use him that way to win games.

As for who the starter will be? I'd draft Mike Bell late and stay close to the waivers with your finger on Cobbs just in case. Nobody knows.

Bingo. I've watched Tatum for better than two years now and Atomic is right. He is the Kevin Faulk of the Rockies - only one that does not catch as well. :D

Tatum is a slasher, Bell is a one cut and gone kind of guy - Shanny's kind of guy if he can hold onto the rock. He runs better between the tackles than Tatum.

Cobbs will start before Tatum gets the job long-term. :D

Well especially after tonight's performance so far. Shanny said he would play all his guys to give them a chance to prove themselves...

Mike Bell 6 car for 27 yards (4.5 ypc)

Tatum Bell 3 car for 4 yards (1.3 ypc)

Cedric Cobbs 1 car for 2 yards (2 ypc)

Now I'm sure Cobbs will get some major love here in the 2nd half, but it will be against the absolute relegades of the Cards porous defense. To me this says enough, and I will stay confident entering week 1 with Mike Bell. Not to say Shanny won't change things, just to say that I feel safe for week 1 with Mike Bell.

This is like Romper Room. They need to have adult message boards for people who would like to discuss football intelligently.

Mike ell had a 13 yard run...then 4 more carries for 9 yards. Wooohooo.

Yes, cheering for Mike Bell to be bad just so you can be right and trying to shove it in everyone's face is very adult like.

Now I have been following the RB situation in Denver this whole preseason. And I will trust Bronco Billy's take on the situation before I will trust yours. Bronco Billy have been keeping this board update to date on what is happening in Denver since the beginning of preseason. Then say around August 27th you start hitting all the Mike Bell threads touting Tatum when it is the opposite of what Bronco Billy has been informing us all along.

I guess no one has been listening to me. Oh well. You will all lose out on Tatum Bell. Fine with me. Lets see Bell has had close to a 1000 yard season as a backup. Shanny said his only problem with Bell is that his YPC drop after 10 carries (meaning get your but in shape to carry the load so you can be a friggin beast...please). He grabs an undrafted Rook who has done NOTHING AT ALL in the preseason except have some "nice practices". You know how many crap RB's have had "nice practices"?

Again, I am just happy I stole Tatum Bell. You guys jump around for a guy who has done nothing.

No one has been listening to you because your opinion on Tatum cannot match the kind of info that Bronco Billy has been putting out. He provides insight like this:

Unless he completely steps on his dick next week, Mike Bell is the starting RB in DEN for the opening week. Once a RB has that spot, unless he gets injured he's extremely difficult to dislodge.

That T Bell showed his homerun ability followed by nothing in following runs is exactly right, and is part of the reason Shanahan doesn't consider him a #1 RB. The other reason is the way his ypc declines severely once he gets 10 to 12 carries into a game. Tatum Bell over his 2 year career has gained 2 yds or less on 50% of his carries. If Shanahan uses T Bell as his featured RB, he'll get an occassional big play, but what he'll get a lot more of is 2nd/3rd & longs, and with a QB like Plummer, that's the death of the offense.

Shanahan likes to grind teams into the turf, which means he needs consistent 3 to 4 yard runs on 1st & 2nd down. T Bell can't get him that - he doesn't run through trash well at all & is dropped pretty easily by minimal contact. That's why T Bell is destined to be a CoP RB for as long as he plays in DEN.

Mike Bell shows everything that Shanahan is looking for in a DEN RB - he is very willing to do the dirty work like blocking in pass protection and he'll turn a no-gain play into a 2 or 3 yard gain with his power & lean. He won't break off many if any 60 yd TDs, but he'll keep the chains moving, keep the other team's D on the field, keep the other team's O from getting any rhythm, and keep the team from getting into a lot of 3rd & longs. That's Shanahan football. The simple fact is that M Bell's running style fits hand-in-glove with the DEN running scheme. It's not about who has the most physical ability, it's about who will be the most successful within the system, and allow the offense to operate at maximum efficiency. M Bell is that guy right now. The guy is downright explosive making his one cut into the seam, and he doesn't lose yardage.

I think what you'll see as the preseason progresses is that M Bell will have solidified the #1 RB spot, T Bell is locked into the #2 RB/CoP spot, and if I don't miss my guess Dayne is going to end up on IR and Nash will make the team as the #3 RB, leaving Cobbs as the odd man out. DEN has already been trying to move Cobbs in a trade. Shanahan will see how the situation shakes out in the regular season and decide what to do with Dayne as the need at RB and/or injuries dictate. That gives Shanahan the luxury of making the Dayne/Nash decision 6 weeks later than he would normally have to, while giving himself the luxury of seeing if he made a mistake with M Bell in the regular season, plus seeing if Nash will contribute during the regular season the way Dayne did last year. I'd lean towards Dayne when it comes down to making a decision - he did well in the DEN system last year during the regular season, whereas Nash is making his bones vs 3rd stringers or worse. Another option would be putting Nash on the practice squad if Dayne gets healthy quicker than it looks like he will.

Make no mistake, though. The #1 RB spot is not up for grabs anymore, unless M Bell drops the ball (literally & figuratively), and T Bell's inconsistency and wearing down in games has delegated him to the #2 RB spot, no better.

Do a search of all of Bronco Billy's posts and read what he has to say about the RB situation in Denver. Then you will know why "no one is listening to you".

It is just a matter of people who follow their teams have a better grasp on the situation than people who are only looking at out of town teams with fantasy football glasses on.

Edited by blips

Yes, cheering for Mike Bell to be bad just so you can be right and trying to shove it in everyone's face is very adult like.

Now I have been following the RB situation in Denver this whole preseason. And I will trust Bronco Billy's take on the situation before I will trust yours. Bronco Billy have been keeping this board update to date on what is happening in Denver since the beginning of preseason. Then say around August 27th you start hitting all the Mike Bell threads touting Tatum when it is the opposite of what Bronco Billy has been informing us all along.

No one has been listening to you because your opinion on Tatum cannot match the kind of info that Bronco Billy has been putting out. He provides insight like this:

Do a search of all of Bronco Billy's posts and read what he has to say about the RB situation in Denver. Then you will know why "no one is listening to you".

It is just a matter of people who follow their teams have a better grasp on the situation than people who are only looking at out of town teams with fantasy football glasses on.

:D

Both Bell's played against the top D, all three backs had time against the crap D... with 2 minutes to go here's how it looks...

RUSHING

ATT YDS TD LG

M. Bell 9 74 0 38

T. Bell 9 48 1 22

C. Cobbs 8 34 0 9

B. Van Pelt 2 23 0 15

J. Cutler 1 8 0 8

Mike looks like he's locked it up... :D

Edited by DeezNuts

Both Bell's played against the top D, all three backs had time against the crap D... with 2 minutes to go here's how it looks...

RUSHING

ATT YDS TD LG

M. Bell 9 74 0 38

T. Bell 9 48 1 22

C. Cobbs 8 34 0 9

B. Van Pelt 2 23 0 15

J. Cutler 1 8 0 8

Mike looks like he's locked it up... :D

nothings locked up...Mike bell will start..but tatum will get lots of carries too..

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said he doesn't know what he'll do at the running back position.

"I'm confused," Shanahan said. "But it's good to be confused that way." All three running backs (The Bells and Cedric Cobbs) ran well Thursday night, although Mike Bell got more time off in the second half. Tatum broke off a few big plays, but also was limping at one point with a minor ankle injury. Look for a committee this season.

Source: Denver Post

Interesting. Just like I thought. I think in the end though I will go with a guy who has more speed and talent. Tatum can learn to do the whole 1 cut thing. But you cant teach speed and burst. Just my opinion. I know that it is not popular to state your opinion here because you get attacked when you do but in the end I like Tatum Bell to have the job sometime durring the season,

Funny thing was on ESPN. They had fantasy football rules and rule # whatever was "Mike Shanahan hates you". Thought that was so true and funny.

Interesting. Just like I thought.

That's not at all what you thought! The article says there is some confusion... and you keep saying Tatum is the best and will win the job..

Nice attempt to retreat, Sack. :D

I think in the end though I will go with a guy who has more speed and talent. Tatum can learn to do the whole 1 cut thing. But you cant teach speed and burst.

Mike Bell and Cobbs have speed and burst. Have you watched any of these games? They are both leaving Tatum in the dust with speed and burst. You're simply not paying attention...

I know that it is not popular to state your opinion here because you get attacked when you do but in the end I like Tatum Bell to have the job sometime durring the season

I can't imagine why you would get attacked when your first comment in this thread was "I keep telling you, Mike Bell sucks!" It was arrogant, condemning, and ignorant. Not to mention you claimed it's motivational, which if you follow Shanahan, is totally out of character for him.

Being arrogant and judgmental about a situation you're not following equates to bad info for the Huddle. The people around here expect solid information, not blustery BS from an agitator who has Tatum in a dynasty league.

Being arrogant and judgmental about a situation you're not following equates to bad info for the Huddle. The people around here expect solid information, not blustery BS from an agitator who has Tatum in a dynasty league.

Generally speaking, very well put. Not so much in this instance but in others around the board as well.

Intelligent response. Hey how come whenever I show that I like a particular player some geek comes along and says some stuff about sperm and gay stuff. I mean are we grown men or do we just say the dumbest thing we can think of. I say I think Bell will be good and everyone jumps on and freaks out. Hey kid...there are things called opinions. We are all allowed to have them and if we like a particular football player we are not in love with him. This is like Romper Room. They need to have adult message boards for people who would like to discuss football intelligently.

:pantstightening:

Intelligent response. Hey how come whenever I show that I like a particular player some geek comes along and says some stuff about sperm and gay stuff. I mean are we grown men or do we just say the dumbest thing we can think of. I say I think Bell will be good and everyone jumps on and freaks out. Hey kid...there are things called opinions. We are all allowed to have them and if we like a particular football player we are not in love with him. This is like Romper Room. They need to have adult message boards for people who would like to discuss football intelligently.

sez the guy with the username 'BIG SACK'

:D

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said he doesn't know what he'll do at the running back position.

"I'm confused," Shanahan said. "But it's good to be confused that way." All three running backs (The Bells and Cedric Cobbs) ran well Thursday night, although Mike Bell got more time off in the second half. Tatum broke off a few big plays, but also was limping at one point with a minor ankle injury. Look for a committee this season.

Source: Denver Post

Interesting. Just like I thought. I think in the end though I will go with a guy who has more speed and talent. Tatum can learn to do the whole 1 cut thing. But you cant teach speed and burst. Just my opinion. I know that it is not popular to state your opinion here because you get attacked when you do but in the end I like Tatum Bell to have the job sometime durring the season,

Funny thing was on ESPN. They had fantasy football rules and rule # whatever was "Mike Shanahan hates you". Thought that was so true and funny.

Stating opinion has never been a problem here. However when you come here rambling on about a specific player, based on just your opinion and then repeat it as if you are shoving it in everyones face is totally different. It is more of how you say it, not what you say. That is what some have the problem with. Just MHO :D

Here's the issue. Let me show you through example.

You wrote this as your "adult" position regarding the DEN RB situation:

I keep telling you guys that Tatum is the most talented and he will have the job. Watching tonight and since he has shown his face out of nowhere...Mike Bell sucks. It is a classic motivational...oh I am tired of telling you guys. You will see. Tonight Tatum gets the job. Mike ell had a 13 yard run...then 4 more carries for 9 yards. Wooohooo.

On the other hand, here's what I posted in June about T Bell:

Shanahan for the first time in his history as HC in DEN intentionally used a RBBC. By using an Anderson/Bell tandem he was able to exploit both player's strength masterfully while hiding their weaknesses. Also by using that tandem he got a two headed RB that ran for a combined 1935 rushing yds with 20 rushing TDs in 412 rushes and also caught 36 passes for 316 yds and 1 TD. That's great production at the RB position.

Bell is seen as a CoP situational RB in DEN. Shanahan has stated that, and the beat writers have put that forth also. It is well known that Bell's stats dropped as the year went on last season, and that his ypc falls off the table when he transitions from his first 10 carries in a game to his next 10 carries.

Career:

Carries 1-10 188 carries for 1088 yds 5.79 ypc

Carries 11-20 60 carries for 229 yds 3.82 ypc

2005:

Carries 1-10 128 carries for 789 yds 6.16 ypc

Carries 11-20 45 carries for 132 yds 2.93 ypc

2004 splits

2005 splits

T Bell also historically has also had almost exactly half of his runs go for 2 yds or less, with a significant number of those being for 0 yds or a loss of yardage, which I placed in another discussion.

Now, is there a possibility that you can see the difference between what you call an "adult" opinion of your and what I wrote as my opinion? One is just someone braying what they believe with little to no evidence to back up their position and then defying anyone elsse to knock the chip off their shoulder, the other is based upon observation and factual evidence upon which that opinion was formed.

Now, if you can find some evidence stronger than your "adult" position of "because I say so" and then calling out anyone who has the temerity to disagree with you in a pathetic attempt to place yourself as a victim, you may sway some people here, or at the very least take the target that you created off your back and engender some valid discussion.

Hell, I may be 100% wrong, but at least I provided something stronger than "because I say so" as a basis of my argument. If I am wrong, I'll be the first one here saying exactly that, too. That isn't too much to ask for, is it?

Edited by Bronco Billy