[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Auction Strategy

PaulOttCarruth

:D In the 2000 MNF game where Dunn went nuts on the Bucs.

Just for clarity, he went nuts on the Rams as he was playing for the Bucs. And he still owes me...

It really depends on the scoring system (really heavy scoring in favor of one position over the others is required), lineup requirements (the fewer the starters the better) ... and it depends on whether or not it's a keeper league (redrafters are preferred).

Also, if there is $$ awarded for weekly high scores, that's a bonus. Or, if it's a total points league, that would work too.

A couple of years ago, I got LT for (iirc) 100 of my 250 cap, SA for 85, and scored a big-time deal on Culpepper for like 40 ... and managed to hit big with DJax for 5, CJohnson for 5, Porter for 2 and a bunch of crap for 1-2 each. We started 2RBs and 2WRs w/ no flex and a RB-heavy scoring system.

Remember, in most leagues, there's not really any financial or ego difference in finishing 4th as there is in finishing 9th ... so, might as well go for the homerun (esp. if it's a redrafter league).

This is a superb case for the "go big" method - great job Muck.

In Edge's rookie year I traded my entire draft around. I had 1.1 and 1.4 and a 12 pack until my next pick in the 6th round. I got Marshall, Edge and Steve Beaurlign (I know I didn't spell that right) was my lucky pick savior. I barely made the playoffs because my three wideouts to start that year were Kevin Dyson (iirc, achilles), Germane Crowell (knee) and Carl Pickens (broken fibula). I did get Trung for the couple games Marshall missed that year and just barely made the playoffs, and I did get one wideout from the scrap heap giving me 5-6 pts/week (Chrebet, maybe?) and I lucked into Matt Stover and the Baltimore D. I can't even remember my TE, but I know from experience about those warnings on the Pepto bottle about the black stool...

I'll never do it again, and I had to have another guy to lose in week 12 to break a tiebreaker just to make the playoffs. Sometimes you just get hot at the right time. I do recommend that if you're trying it you have INTIMATE knowledge of your leagues scoring system, because you'll pull WW wideouts just because they're the return guy (and get pts for those yards or TD's - that was Az Hakim's one decent year too, I think 6 rec TD's and two or three returns?).

You said auction though, what kind of penalties do you have for drop/adds? That might kill it for me just because you really do have to play matchups with that third WR or TE sometimes. Just adding my dross to Muck's gold...

You said auction though, what kind of penalties do you have for drop/adds? That might kill it for me just because you really do have to play matchups with that third WR or TE sometimes. Just adding my dross to Muck's gold...

$1 per transaction. Good point on having to play the matchups with the WR3. Could get expensive.

However, this league is not a keeper league, and it's one of the lower priced leagues I play in (as far as entry fee), so things may balance out.

I also agree with Muck's suggestion of "go big".

The auction is tonight . . . we'll see what happens.