[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

All-Day Draft Events

wiegie

So, on Friday my "local" league has it's annual draft. It's a long-time league going back to the early 90s (I joined in 1995). Several of our owners (myself included) will be coming into town from a few hundred miles away.

Here is the schedule for the day:

7:00: Golf

Lunch: At a funky bar/restaurant (St. Louis folks will know it: "Fast Eddie's Bon-Air")

3:00: Demolition Ball--a game sort of like lacrosse, but played with "trak-balls" and on bumper-cars

5:00: Dave & Buster's

6:30: Draft starts

11:00: Drinking continues

About 10 of the 12 owners will attend the entire day's activities.

I can't wait!

Anybody else have a draft that turns into an entire day's worth of events?

Draft day is always the best. We start the draft early with food and beers throughout. Finish the day with a marathon poker session. Mighty big hangover the next day. This Sunday should be no different.

I run a 12 team 2 keeper league since 1999. I just moved from Cleveland, OH to Charlotte so I flew up for my draft last weekend. I also have a guy from Baltimore and he flies out too. One guys drives out from Pittsburgh. THe rest are local to Cleveland. We've only had 6-7 guys meet up for dinner on Friday night and breakfast Sat morning. Then we draft Sat morning and another 6-7 go out for a late lunch.

Next year we're gonna have a poker tournament on Friday night. I'd love to get the draft moved to Sat night, but the Pittsburgh guy likes to drive out in the morning and head back in the afternoon.

Edited by Steelhead

So, on Friday my "local" league has it's annual draft. It's a long-time league going back to the early 90s (I joined in 1995). Several of our owners (myself included) will be coming into town from a few hundred miles away.

Lunch: At a funky bar/restaurant (St. Louis folks will know it: "Fast Eddie's Bon-Air")

3:00: Demolition Ball--a game sort of like lacrosse, but played with "trak-balls" and on bumper-cars

I can't wait!

i actually have a whole labor day weekend draft party coming up this weekend...bunch of college buddies...from jersey to nyc to ct to here in ri....were all going up to one of their parents house in vermont on saturday morning...draft,golf, whiffle ball, poker, and drunk...all the way through till monday

I can't wait!

Sweet!! Have Fun! :D

I wish my local did something like that. Just getting 70% of us together for 4 hrs seems to get tougher and tougher every year.

I can't wait!

Never been to St. Louis...if you need an owner, I am IN! :D

I've read in here how some leagues go to Vegas or just make the draft a real experience...not just like the guys in my league want to do...bang it out and go home.... :D

It's the BEST day of the year...why the heck would anyone want to rush it??? :D

Edited by The Wolf

I can't wait!

6:30 at D&B's :D

I may have to crash the draft. :D

Hey Wiegie, if one of your guys is a no show, let me know and I'll draft for them.

Edited by twiley

6:30 at D&B's :D

I may have to crash the draft. :D

Hey Wiegie, if one of your guys is a no show, let me know and I'll draft for them.

:D I'll keep you in mind for sure (although we've never had a no-show before). (but so that you aren't disappointed, I'll let you know that the draft is held at one of our owner's homes and not at D&Bs)

Our league which has had consistent ownership for the last 10 years has started doing a whole draft weekend. We did our draft weekend two weeks ago in Mexico (we're in Phoenix, Vegas, CA). Rented a place on the beach for 4 days! We all got together and had the typical fun and debauchery, including spliting the draft across two days. This is the third year we've done a whole weekend. First was in Vegas and second was on a houseboat on Lake Mead. Haven't decided for next year, but were open for thoughts!! :D

I take part in 2 drafts, both which took place last Saturday (8/26). The first draft started at Noon. It is a league of 11 buddies of mine, all of whom I did or still play softball with. The draft lasts about 4-1/2 hours (16 rounds) and is so much fun. The funny comments made throughout the draft are priceless. The night commences with a poker game which lasts until the wee hours of Sunday morning. As other forum members have said, I treasure draft day as the most fun of any day the entire calendar year.

My second draft (which I had to leave right after my first draft to make on time) takes part with 11 guys whom I work with. They are in such a hurry to do the draft and get out of there that it makes me wonder why they even take part in a draft. It is only the second year of this draft (my first league has been in existence about 15 years) and I am losing interest in these guys very fast. I kept saying during the draft to the guys - where's the fire? Once the draft was over, there was tire tracks left where guys were trying to leave so fast. Luckily the draft was done so fast (16 rounds, about 2 hours) that I was able to return to my original draft group and play Texas hold-um poker a few hours with my softball buds.

I would love to hold a draft or take part in a draft on a houseboat or in some exotic place. That sounds so cool.

PM

10 team local....

Draft here in Virginia, but two of the owners come from out of state....

our draft is Sunday from 2 until....drinking starts Friday night.

Other activities include:

Beer, Fishing, Golf, Food, Beer...

Well of course there is smack talk which this year will include smack talk out the ying yang...since yours truly is the defending champ... :D:D

we've got a 14 team league that's been going on for ten years now. basically old college/high school buddies from all over the country and we've travelled to a different locale each year for the draft weekend for about the last 5 or 6 years. the prior year's winner chooses the location (with input from other owners) with the last place team responsible for planning, logistics, schlepping etc.

the typical weekend is like this:

thursday/friday - golf, dinner, cards & heavy drinking, etc

saturday - am - breakfast while nursing hangover and drafting with bloody mary bar.

saturday - noonish - mini golf, bowling or some other local fun

saturday - evening - dinner, more cards, more heavy drinking, etc

sunday - everyone leaves, with partial voices, while nursing hangovers, to return to their wives and children and real lives.

it's also conveniently coincided with two bachelor parties over the last few years as well. this year's trip was to denver last weekend and i'm still recovering. recent trips have been to chicago, a lake house in tennessee, a delaware beach house, the poconos, and vegas.

needless to say, it is very easily the highlight of my year. our wives have all simply accepted the fact that each year, the weekend before labor day is the annual fantasy football weekend. we usually have one or two teams' owners that can't make it to the draft so we just dial them in on draft day. they take a lot of crap and swear to never miss it again.

My boss's league had the best idea ever!!! Strippers!!!

We work at a golf shop so everybody in his draft is a good to very good golfer and an alcoholic (except me, in both cases). Golf scores (at Druids Glen, beautiful!!) determine the order in which you pick your draft slot. Barbecue, draft...........the Taffy and Porsche come in around 10!!!!

just got back from my annual "local" drafts.

same bunch of friends do a 9 player keeper (performance) and a redraft (td based). a little more of half still live in the bay area. the rest fly in (co, NY, san diego, seattle). been doing these since 93.

we draft our keeper on friday night. usually someone hosts and we either order a lot of take out or bier cooks :D sat morning we all play flag football (typically 7 on 7 w/ no count and often use rushing plays- i love that as i play qb and fb :D ) then we do our redraft around noon..... usually bbq. very fun... lot of bier flowing and smack talk.....