[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marques Colston

rajncajn

This has killed me for the past week, but I had to make sure I got him in my both league before I spilled the beans too much on him. I hate it, but winning comes first. :D Remember though, if any of you have questions about any Saints player that you don't want to put up on the board. Feel free to PM me & I'll give you the best info I can.

This is coming from a hopeful homer, so take it for what it's worth...but if you're looking for a sleeper WR then don't sleep on Colston. The guy has gotten rave reviews all through camp from coaches, fans & players alike. Don't think that he's only starting because Stallworth was traded. Stallworth was traded because Colston made him expendable. Brees may not have Gates anymore, but this guys seems to fit the bill as a substitute & could end up an equally great find.

Colston climbs Saints depth chart

“He’s a big target,” Brees said. “He’s a smart guy. He plays hard. He’s competitive. He just continues to get better and better every day. He’s a young guy. He’s hungry. That’s him. I think he’s everything you want from a rookie coming in and proving himself every day. Should I keep going on?”

From earlier in the week.

Colston has impressed first-year coach Sean Payton so much that it made former Saints first-round pick Donte' Stallworth expendable. The Saints traded Stallworth, their most productive receiver last season, to the Philadelphia Eagles on Tuesday and will give Colston the first crack at the starting lineup.

"We're really going to go by what we see and not bias ourselves by how we acquired these players or where they came in," Payton said. "That's the only way I know how to look at it."

Payton also said there was "no question" that he would start Colston at this point. That's a pretty bold statement to say about someone who has yet to take a professional snap. But Colston relishes the opportunity.

"It's definitely a great feeling that he would speak highly of me in that way," Colston said. "I've been out here just trying to work hard every day and progress and get better every day. I've felt that I've done a good job at this point, but I have a long way to go."

Saints' Colston could prove a real bargain

"One NFL scout noted: "Colston plays like a veteran, not an obscure seventh-round pick from football lightweight Hofstra. He made a great double move (against Indy) and then blew up CB Kelvin Hyde. For a big guy, Colston moves so well. No way he doesn't make this team."

Those sentiments were all but echoed by Saints head coach Sean Payton after the Colts game (in which Colston and RB Deuce McAllister were the two major bright spots).

"He's gonna play, all right," Payton told the media. "He's gonna play. He's been doing it all camp. You guys have been there. It hasn't just been one practice, one scrimmage, it's every time he puts the pads on."

As a Hofstra senior, the Harrisburg, PA product grabbed 70 passes for 975 yards and nine touchdowns. Somehow, though, he slipped below even the intense draft radar of the 21st century."

Edited by rajncajn

Huh? Since 'he's done alright with Gates', he's had shoulder surgery on his throwing arm. Eight short months ago...

Good point. Carson Palmer had knee surgery and looked good, Culpepper same.

I wouldn't worry about Brees. I am sure he went under a deep evaluation before the Saints signed him.

But it is a concern.

Good info here. However, I still have the Q: Can Brees get the ball downfield to make a speedy #2 WR (a best) worth drafting?

He's been doing it in camp for quite a while now, however he has said that he's rusty and not quite 100%, more like 80%, which would explain why he hasn't pushed it in any of the preseason games.

:D

Anyway, rajn, would you draft Colston ahead of Henderson? What do you think?

Definately, Henderson just can't focus enough on a consistant basis to be a #2. He dropps way too many balls.

you said "sleeper WR"...sportsline :D has him listed as a TE...has this changed?

He was a WR in college, but before the draft it was speculated that he would have to transition to TE in the NFL. However he has only worked as a WR for the Saints & payton has given no indication that he would be tried at TE. If he did he would have to gain weight and learn a completely new position. He's played so well at WR to this point I don't see why they would want to force him into another position.

Good point. Carson Palmer had knee surgery and looked good, Culpepper same.

You flunked biology didn't you :D

A bum shoulder is a far more significant to a QB than a bum knee (even to a mobile guy like Culpepper).

Colsten is interesting but only in big/deep leagues. In our 10-teamer with 4 WRs max, he doesn't merit more than keeping an eye on, even on my WR-weak team.

Colsten is interesting but only in big/deep leagues. In our 10-teamer with 4 WRs max, he doesn't merit more than keeping an eye on, even on my WR-weak team.

So Colsten doesn't have any value if he ends up as the #2 but Stallworth did when he was still with the Saints?

Note...the key there is IF he solidifies the #2 WR spot..

Edited by myhousekey

Yea, What position will he start at? TE or WR?

Question has already been answered above. :D

Yes, I would agree with this. This info is better for deeper leagues. In a 12 team he may be worth a late flyer, but 10 team or less he probably wouldn't warrant anything more than keeping an eye on.

You flunked biology didn't you :D

A bum shoulder is a far more significant to a QB than a bum knee (even to a mobile guy like Culpepper).

Thanks for your input and assuming im retarded.

I know a shoulder is significant to a QB compared to a knee. However, most people wouldn't have thought Palmer would come back strong and in the last pre-season game he did. Therefor, I am not ruling Brees out. He may come back strong as well.

well considering less people know about colston he is a true sleeper...VJax is a sleeper of sorts but he is on

many peoples sleeper lists, so with that said does that really mean he is a sleeper?

Jackson is a sleeper...people at the huddle are ahead of the curve and the average person will see him as nothing more than a player who won't produce...

also...Jackson is still a #3 on his team, Colston is the #2...Jackson is the bigger sleeper...

if Charger fans here didn't talk about Jackson already, he wouldn't be on my radar, I can honestly say that...

Thanks for your input and assuming im retarded.

I know a shoulder is significant to a QB compared to a knee. However, most people wouldn't have thought Palmer would come back strong and in the last pre-season game he did. Therefor, I am not ruling Brees out. He may come back strong as well.

a shoulder injury is tougher for a QB to fully recover from than a knee injury...

it's equivelant to a RB coming off shoulder surgery, compared to a knee injury...I wouldn't even worry about a RB coming off a shoulder injury..

the only reason I was too scared to draft palmer is due to what he said on ESPN....

also...Jackson is still a #3 on his team, Colston is the #2...Jackson is the bigger sleeper...

if Charger fans here didn't talk about Jackson already, he wouldn't be on my radar, I can honestly say that...

I wouldn't know about him if it weren't for the Charger fans either. Kudos to them!

I'd consider them both on the same level of "sleeperness" but as you can confirm by my sigline I felt Jackson has a lot of potential.

Jackson has already had a year to establish his rapport with Rivers, Colston hasn't. The Chargers kicked Brees out because they felt Rivers would be better which is another point of leverage for Jackson.

I'm not sure I'd trust Colston on a roster yet, but in deeper leagues maybe.

Jackson is a sleeper...people at the huddle are ahead of the curve and the average person will see him as nothing more than a player who won't produce...

An argument can be made either way on that, but Jackson being a 2nd round pick last year was a little more known...at least among dynasty owners. Nobody would have ever heard a thing about Colston if he hadn't been named the starter. Even after the trade it was just assumed that either Henderson or Bethel Johnson would be the starters.

An argument can be made either way on that, but Jackson being a 2nd round pick last year was a little more known...at least among dynasty owners. Nobody would have ever heard a thing about Colston if he hadn't been named the starter. Even after the trade it was just assumed that either Henderson or Bethel Johnson would be the starters.

this is true.

:D

I was a fan of Bethel Johnson...don't know what happened to him.

How did he do in minicamp/preseason?