[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steve Smith - surgery?

frk_jr

he had an infected in-grown toenail removed...nothing to worry about he is fine and will be fine for week 1 and beyond

From priority news on the front page :D

Steve Smith - WR, Carolina Panthers 09/01/06

Panthers WR Steve Smith finally elaborated on the toe injury that caused him to miss a portion of the preseason. Smith said he had surgery on his left toe on Aug. 17 to fix an infected ingrown toenail that had become so painful he could hardly walk. Smith had just recovered from a pulled hamstring and returned to practice on Aug. 15 before the toe became an issue. The All-Pro wideout missed all four of the Panthers' preseason games.

Huddle Up: Smith said that the toe is no longer an issue and that he will be ready to go when the team hosts Atlanta on Sept. 10 in its season opener. This is great news for fantasy owners who were in the dark and dreading another lingering injury issue.

Edited by keggerz

Link

'I couldn't walk anymore'

Smith: Toenail injury was painful

Receiver had surgery Aug. 17, says he'll be ready for season opener

PAT YASINSKAS

pyasinskas@charlotteobserver.com

Panthers receiver Steve Smith caught passes in warm-ups Thursday, but said coaches told him shortly before the game in Pittsburgh that he would not play.

DAVID T. FOSTER III - dtfoster@charlotteobserver.com

Panthers receiver Steve Smith caught passes in warm-ups Thursday, but said coaches told him shortly before the game in Pittsburgh that he would not play.

PIITSBURGH - `I couldn't walk anymore' Carolina Panthers All-Pro receiver Steve Smith said the in-grown toenail that forced him to miss part of the preseason was more serious than it might sound.

"A lot of people say, `Ah, in-grown toe-nail, you can live through it,' " Smith said after Thursday night's preseason victory against Pittsburgh. "Those people are sitting their fat (butt) at a desk. But I use my feet more often than most people. That's like someone with carpal tunnel being an administrative assistant and it's strenuous on that body part."

Smith went into more detail about the injury than the team previously had divulged. He said he had surgery on his left toe on Aug. 17.

"It was pressure," Smith said. "It hurt. I mean, in your hands and your toes, either your nerves begin or end and it's the furthest from your heart. It was hurting. I'd been going a couple of days and I couldn't walk anymore. It started to get worse and it was infected."

Smith had been shelved by a pulled hamstring on the first day of camp and returned to practice briefly before the toe became a problem. He missed all four preseason games.

But Smith, who practiced twice this week, said he expects to be ready for the Sept. 10 opener against Atlanta.

"It's healing up pretty good," Smith said. "It doesn't hurt the way it was hurting. It's not a factor anymore. I got the stitches out."

Smith caught passes in pre-game warm-ups Thursday, but said the coaches told him shortly before the game that he would not play.

"It was one of those things where you do what you're told," Smith said. "But next week it's not warm up and watch. It's going to be playing four quarters, 60 or 70 plays."

Smith said he's not concerned that missing the exhibition season will set him back.

"It really doesn't matter," he said.

"I think I'll be all right. You're going to be rusty just because in the preseason you really can't get your feet wet the way you want to anyway. You don't put together four (quarters) anyway."