[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Volek to the Chargers?

theeohiostate

True, but Vince Young happened back in APRIL! If you want to get rid of Volek, bring in Collins in May. At least give him time to learn the offense. Again, I dont think we know all of the facts about what was going on behind the scenes. And we may never know for sure...

Sure but a lot of people thought Young would be a "project" and take 2-3 years to develop. Maybe the Titans are pleased with his progress in practice and preseason and ready to throw him to the wolves. Again, Volek is nothing special and probably more of a back-up QB that isn't going to really make the Titans win a lot of games. Young is the present and future. Since the Titans are going to be bad, you might as well get him on the field ASAP and see what he can do.

Sure but a lot of people thought Young would be a "project" and take 2-3 years to develop. Maybe the Titans are pleased with his progress in practice and preseason and ready to throw him to the wolves. Again, Volek is nothing special and probably more of a back-up QB that isn't going to really make the Titans win a lot of games. Young is the present and future. Since the Titans are going to be bad, you might as well get him on the field ASAP and see what he can do.

If Young is the "present" as you assert, and he is ready to play now, why bring in Collins? Just start Young and let Volek back him up. But the fact is, Young is not near being ready. Not even close. Collins will be the starter and Young will have the exact same roll he would have had if they had never signed Collins and had Volek. Your theory doesnt make much sense given what we know now...

If Young is the "present" as you assert, and he is ready to play now, why bring in Collins? Just start Young and let Volek back him up. But the fact is, Young is not near being ready. Not even close. Collins will be the starter and Young will have the exact same roll he would have had if they had never signed Collins and had Volek. Your theory doesnt make much sense given what we know now...

I never said Young was ready to play now so don't put words into my replies. Collins is a veteran who has been around the block and played in a SB. He can teach a hell of a lot more to Young than Volek who has a few games under his belt and is probably destined to be a back-up. In reality, no rookie QB is ever ready outside of Marino or Manning so it's pointless to really discuss that. The point is the Titans are going to be bad regardless so get what value you can for Volek now which they did since he's not their future. Then you bring in a vet to hold the fort down and teach Young as much as possible before throwing him in after 4-8 games into the season.

If you're wondering why the Titans didn't make a move like this earlier is they probably wanted to see what Vince could do in the pre-season before jumping the gun. He showed enough talent and potential to pull the trigger on Volek.

Go back and read your post. You said, "Young is the present and the future". Your point was that Young was so impressive, that they now think that he is ready to play so they can part with Volek. And that they should get him on the field ASAP since they will be bad anyway. I dont believe that to be the case at all. I think what he has shown, if anything, is that he is as raw as they thought he was when they drafted him. And they brought Collins in to be the starter, not to coach up the rookie.

In your next post, you indicate that they traded him now because Voleks value now is higher than it will be later so they thought they could get more for him now. My point is that I think they could have gotten just as much or more for him back BEFORE training camp when teams were looking for QB's and wanted them in camp to learn their offense. How is his value higher today, now that he is demanding a trade and every team knows the Titans have to deal him, than it was then? Or how is it higher now than it will be after this season?

I agree that the Titans will be a bad team this year, no matter if Volek or Collins is at the helm. No doubt about that one. But bringing Collins in at this late date was just plain stupid, unless there is something we dont know about. If they didnt want to go with Volek, fine. But this deal should have been done 3 months ago or not at all. And your arguing otherwise is pretty much nonsensical.

so what does Tenn get for volek? a draft pick? if so what round? How much is collins contract? How much was voleks contract? Would Tenn make the playoffs with Volek? Will Tenn make the playoffs with Collins?

So deal Volek for a Draft Pick, pay collins to play for the year and still suck enough to get a decent 1st round draft pick so I guess that is what tenn gained they BOUGHT an extra draft pick and probably bought a few more loses and a higher 1st round draft pick too :D

Go back and read your post. You said, "Young is the present and the future". Your point was that Young was so impressive, that they now think that he is ready to play so they can part with Volek. And that they should get him on the field ASAP since they will be bad anyway. I dont believe that to be the case at all. I think what he has shown, if anything, is that he is as raw as they thought he was when they drafted him. And they brought Collins in to be the starter, not to coach up the rookie.

In your next post, you indicate that they traded him now because Voleks value now is higher than it will be later so they thought they could get more for him now. My point is that I think they could have gotten just as much or more for him back BEFORE training camp when teams were looking for QB's and wanted them in camp to learn their offense. How is his value higher today, now that he is demanding a trade and every team knows the Titans have to deal him, than it was then? Or how is it higher now than it will be after this season?

I agree that the Titans will be a bad team this year, no matter if Volek or Collins is at the helm. No doubt about that one. But bringing Collins in at this late date was just plain stupid, unless there is something we dont know about. If they didnt want to go with Volek, fine. But this deal should have been done 3 months ago or not at all. And your arguing otherwise is pretty much nonsensical.

Let me ask you something since I'm nonsensical. Forget about Vince for a second genius. Did you ever consider that Collins is a slight upgrade over Volek? Plus they got Collins on the cheap.

Care to make a wager on that game?

Oh yes!!!

Nothing major, just something to make it interesting. I'm down for anything $20 or less, I won't even ask for the points. Let me know dude, I'm gonna' enjoy this.

EDIT - you want my paypal address now? :D

Edited by Easy n Dirty

This is an excellent move by A.J. Smith. I was very worried about going into the season with two untested QBs. Billy Volek will be a terrific backup for Rivers.

Don't know what Tennessee is thinking. Kerry Collins is not an upgrade. Good luck with all that.

Billy Volek is a perfect fit in San Dego. For the most part, he was a solid performer while backing up Steve McNair in Tennessee.

I like the Chargers QB situation now. Whitehurst was impressive in the preseason...mobile with a strong accurate arm. Volek is the much-needed veteran and his addition rounds out the QB trio.

I heard on the Pro Football Weekly radio show today that Fisher and Chow both wanted to pick Leinert and were furious when Adams and Reese insisted on Young. I guess you can't take the Texas out of Adams but Adams had to take Young out of Texas.

No longer having to deal with Bud Adams as an owner is one of the few silver linings of losing my beloved Houston Oilers.

Oh yes!!!

Nothing major, just something to make it interesting. I'm down for anything $20 or less, I won't even ask for the points. Let me know dude, I'm gonna' enjoy this.

EDIT - you want my paypal address now? :D

OK. $20 straight up Titans vs Jets. This game might actually be a preview of this years Superbowl!! :D

Let me ask you something since I'm nonsensical. Forget about Vince for a second genius. Did you ever consider that Collins is a slight upgrade over Volek? Plus they got Collins on the cheap.

I dont know if he is an upgrade over Volek or not. But for the sake of arguement, lets assume that he is a slight upgrade. Collins agent came to Nashville last spring to discuss the possibilities of Collins playing here. Collins publicly announced that he would like to play for the Titans. Floyd Reese basically dismissed them both and said that the Titans didnt need another QB. He said that he essentially wasnt interested in Collins. If they were going to sign him, that would have been the time to do so. Not with the season a week away. This just doesnt make sense unless there is information that we dont know. They knew what they had in Volek last spring. If they wanted a slight upgrade, then the time to do that was several months ago.

Again the conspiracy theorists here think that Floyd Reese and Jeff Fisher arent getting along and that Reese is on his way out. They say that this call was made by Steve Underwood as Dud Adams right hand man. Underwood moved to Nashville to start taking over control of things from Reese. I have no idea how true any of this is, but something is rotten in Titan town.

Titans are definitely shopping Volek, but his value appears to be at an all time low because the other teams now know that the Titans need to dump him. Again, the timing of this thing sucks for everybody concerned and I am astonished at how this was done. Here is the latest on the Titan QB situation in todays local rag:

Sunday, 09/03/06

Titans to keep QB trio for now

Mauck gets cut with Fleming, Calico, Payton

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

When veteran Kerry Collins joined the Titans last week, the other quarterbacks on the roster knew something had to give.

"You knew No. 10 was fine,'' Matt Mauck said, referring to first-round pick Vince Young. "I don't think Vince was nervous at all. But other than that, you really didn't know what was going to happen.''

Mauck found out on Saturday. He was among 22 players released by the Titans to reach the mandated 53-player roster.

There are still unanswered questions at the position, however, with Collins, Young and Billy Volek remaining on the roster for now.

"Our quarterback situation is pretty much up in the air,'' Coach Jeff Fisher said.

Collins is being prepared to start next Sunday in the season opener against the Jets, with Young as his backup.

Volek asked to be traded or released after Collins signed, and the Titans discussed potential swaps with several teams, including the Chargers and Colts.

Unsatisfied with what they'd get in return, however, the Titans elected to keep Volek instead of releasing him on Saturday.

Another factor the Titans must consider: Volek is a vested veteran, so if he's on the roster at the end of the week his salary of $1 million for 2006 would become guaranteed.

Volek has a no-trade clause in his contract, but he is willing to waive it.

"We're going to continue to get all three guys reps,'' Fisher said. "We'll make a decision later in the week.''

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../609030522/1027

My understanding is that both Fisher & Chow were not happy with Volek from the start. Remember all the rumors of Collins signing with the Titans months ago?

That's what Fisher & Chow wanted but Reese stalled them and then let the McNair thing drag on and on and on. I guess hoping he could talk McNair into restructuring.

Reese eventually let go of McNair and now has finally caved to Fisher & Chow allowing them to sign the guy they wanted all along.

This is all on Reese IMO.

My understanding is that both Fisher & Chow were not happy with Volek from the start. Remember all the rumors of Collins signing with the Titans months ago?

That's what Fisher & Chow wanted but Reese stalled them and then let the McNair thing drag on and on and on. I guess hoping he could talk McNair into restructuring.

Reese eventually let go of McNair and now has finally caved to Fisher & Chow allowing them to sign the guy they wanted all along.

This is all on Reese IMO.

This explanation sounds about as good as any I guess. But it still makes Reese seem like an idiot..