[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gabriel to NE...impact?

Kremlin Tide

Raiders | Team trades Gabriel to New England

Sat, 2 Sep 2006 12:47:10 -0700

Jerry McDonald, of ANG Newspapers, reports the Oakland Raiders have traded WR Doug Gabriel to the New England Patriots. The compensation for Gabriel has not been announced yet. Gabriel's departure would seem to leave the door open for WR Jerry Porter, who has requested a trade, to move back into the starting lineup.

___________________________________________________________________________________

I'm doubting Gabriel will have much inpact in NE, but one never knows. It's not like they had a lot to begin with....

This is interesting ...Gabriel may end up being the # 1 wr for Pats on opening day ..as it stands now it was Caldwell which is not saying much ...with Brady in there , Gabriel may end up being a valued pick up or draft pick ...also may increase the value for Porter but that remains to be seen

My thoughts are Porter is what he always is. Talented and will have some big games but also inconsistent. As for NE Gabriel should play a role but last I checked he isn't anything to say wow about. Him, Brown, Jackson, and Caldwell will all have roles. Personally I don't love any of those 4 WR's, although Jackson has nice upside just needs time. But to think Gabriel comes in with a week of practice and plays a major role game 1 is a bit much IMO. It does say that Branch is done IMO.

Realize too that Gabriel has never been really more than #3 quality and NE has a very complicated offense to learn that never uses any individual wideout that much anyway.

:D And now would you rather have Burelson, Porter, or Gabriel?

Burleson. Hands down. No question. Not even close.

With this trade, I like Ronald Curry to re-emergy and am now looking at my roster for a potential spot to move him in there.

Funny thing is, i have BOTH Reche Caldwell and Doug Gabriel at the end of my receiver bench...I'm leaning toward cutting Mark Bradley and letting the Patriot thing sort itself out (though my desire to cut loose Caldwell is strong)

No one has ever questioned that Curry makes a terrific slot guy, it's just that he cannot remain healthy for more than 3 days in a row.

That's the kicker no doubt. He was about ready to really blossom last year and blam...Considering I went with a bunch of "stuff" at receiver, I am really looking hard at this position for productive prospects that fell through the cracks at my draft.

True DMD , but Brady can make a player out of many a WR ...and with little else competition with Branch still out , Gabriel may in fact have some value

this may hurt ben watsons worth more than anything, gabrial is a decent option especially in a place where the TE is the only option

Wow..What a shocker! Didn't see this coming! I agree with both these points from my fellow huddle members. As a Raider fan I am going to miss Gabriel. He is a good reciever and Maybe Brady minus Branch will use Gabriel a little more then the Raiders did.

this may hurt ben watsons worth more than anything, gabrial is a decent option especially in a place where the TE is the only option

This is not a crazy statement but what makes Gabriel, who for all the love he seems to be getting has basically in on the field terms done not much, any different than Jackson, Brown, or Caldwell. I think whatever Watson was going to get yesterday he'll still get today. Again Gabriel is a nice option but is not a # 1 WR or even Branch. I don't think this changes Watson's value from a TE with some nice upside at all.

Do you guys think that they made this move because they expect the union to rule in favor of Branch and he will be traded ?

More likely, NE is hedging their bets and think Branch will follow through with his comment to sit out until the last 6 weeks of the season. :D

More likely, NE is hedging their bets and think Branch will follow through with his comment to sit out until the last 6 weeks of the season. :D

Are the Pats the freakin' stupid not to get a trade done to get something for him? They'll let him walk at the end of the season when they could easily get a 2nd rounder now , maybe more.