[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Biggest First Round Bust Ever!

McBoog

After all the guffaw about Charlie Rogers, I have heard some say he is the biggest First Ropund Bust Ever!

For me, it still has to be Ryan Leaf! Not only did he disappoint on the field, but the damage he caused to the Chargers at so many levels devestated that team for nearly a decade. SO many of the problems and instability the team faced, even after he was gone, was directly related to his short lived presence in San Diego! :D

What do you all think! :D

Edited by McBoog

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to say Leaf.

It's easy to forget now how sure everyone was that

he was going to be a star, myself included.

He had physical tools beyond belief and there

was legitimate debate over whether he or Manning should be the pick.

Mandarich is close because he was touted as the best offensive line prospect ever

but Leaf gets the win because of how damaging to a franchise a bust QB is

and he was even moreso than usual.

For narrowing the field, I don't think there is any way you can be the biggest first round bust ever" unless you were a top 2-3 pick. There are lots of guys the flop at 6 ... or 8 ... or 14 ...

But to really screw up a franchise, they needed to have passed on loads of players that did pan out before deciding to blow their pick on you, THE FLOP.

So...who were the top 3 picks in each draft for the last 20 or so years...the top 5-10 flops should be pretty easy to pick from there, and then we could decide who the biggest flop (or two) are.

Leaf - let's not forget that the Chargers, in order to move up one spot, traded two first round picks, a second round pick and four time Pro Bowler Eric Metcalf.

The Cards moved back one spot to 3 but weren't going to take Leaf probably anyways, as they had Jake Plummer on their roster.

Mandarich? The Pack used him with their selection, and only burned that one. Not 4.

Leaf - let's not forget that the Chargers, in order to move up one spot, traded two first round picks, a second round pick and four time Pro Bowler Eric Metcalf.

The Cards moved back one spot to 3 but weren't going to take Leaf probably anyways, as they had Jake Plummer on their roster.

Mandarich? The Pack used him with their selection, and only burned that one. Not 4.

That's pretty good reasoning there. I also don't think you can throw any players into the "bust" debate if they suffered injuries early, such as Kijana Carter, Steve Entman (sp?) and yes, Charles Rogers.

Leaf hands down.

Hello? Dan McGwire?

He is often forgotten, but would say Leaf and then Mandarich. Both second picks.

mandarich. no other bust was even close to his expectation level.

True but in the end he had a better career. Not the carerr of a first round pick, but he did do better than Leaf. He is hated most for his arrogance and lies.

Edited by Randall

After all the guffaw about Charlie Rogers, I have heard some say he is the biggest First Ropund Bust Ever!

For me, it still has to be Ryan Leaf! Not only did he disappoint on the field, but the damage he caused to the Chargers at so many levels devestated that team for nearly a decade. SO many of the problems and instability the team faced, even after he was gone, was directly related to his short lived presence in San Diego! :D

What do you all think! :D

Charles Rogers cant be labeled a bust until he busts. Hurt his last 2 years, then cut before getting a chance to prove anything... Lets see how he fares on another team before we label him bust.

Leaf is, IMO, the BIGGEST bust ever.

Living in Cincy, it's not difficult to suggest our last 10 years of 1st rounders before Carson Palmer.

:D:woot::D:brow::lol::pop::lol::lol:

Now that is being WAY TO GOOD of a sport :brew:

mandarich. no other bust was even close to his expectation level.

Gotta agree here. It is a shame to see what steroids can do to a man. The worst part, GB passed on Barry Sanders for him. :D