[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commish picked my keeper!

ebartender

I am in a keeper league (roster in signature - keep 7 players) and our keepers were due yesterday by 5PM. I had my roster cut to 8 players for a few weeks but couldn't decide who to keep between Jerry Porter & Chris Brown. I thought I put in the drop request for Porter yesterday before I went out. When I got home late last night I had an email from the co-commish who said since I had 8 players and Porter was listed as "active" he dropped Chris Brown. Now I don't know why Porter was active since I didn't start him in the championship last year, but does he have the right to pick which one I keep without even giving me a call? I already have an email in to the other commish. I know this is between Porter & Brown so who cares, but it is the point that he decided who my last keeper was.

I think it should be decided by him if you havent declared by the deadline, but he should have kept the obvious one, and that is Brown.

You might want to have them add something in the rules for this.

But if he had time to send me an email, couldn't he give me a call before he did it. I mean what if I didn't drop anyone because I couldn't get to my PC in time? Would he just choose all my keepers for me without calling? I think that decision was bush-league. Hopefully the other commish allows me to keep Brown instead. It's not like I was purposely holding off putting in my keepers for some reason. I just forgot to drop the one guy.

You put yourself in this boat by not meeting the specified deadline. How do the rules say the commissioner should address a situation where keepers are not declared by the deadline?

Bottom line ... you should have declared your keepers prior to the deadline and this predictament is your fault.

There is no rule that states that the commish can add/drop any players for other teams. I understand I should have made sure, but like I said I thought I put in the drop request. The fact that he thought it was important enough to send me an email, but not to call me is what pisses me off. I don't have time to check my email every 10 minutes, but I do answer my cell phone.

Edited by ebartender

Like I said, I declared all keepers but one, two weeks or so prior to the deadline. I thought I made the request to drop Porter as my last player to drop hours before the deadline but apparently I did not. I understand what the rules are (even though there are no rules for this situation), but there are multiple posts on the league site with owners putting in their keeper lists after the 5PM deadline - including one team who didn't drop a single player until after the 5PM deadline. Deadline was 5PM and some owners sent there keepers in after 7PM. So why are some owners allowed to get around the deadline but I cannot?

You put yourself in this boat by not meeting the specified deadline. How do the rules say the commissioner should address a situation where keepers are not declared by the deadline?

Bottom line ... you should have declared your keepers prior to the deadline and this predictament is your fault.

100% correct

You sent the email to drop Porter and didn't change your sig? :D

Sounds :D

I thought I sent the drop request through the website yesterday before I went out for the night. I will change my sig once we draft on Thursday. I original changed my sig when I cut my roster to 8 in case I had any trade or draft questions.

Edited by ebartender

Does anyone think it is odd that other owners were allowed to declare their keepers after the deadline but they decided to choose my keeper for me?

It depends on if they have seperate keeper deadlines for each team. If your team deadline ended, and you still had more than the allowed amount of keepers, IMO your commish had every right to select a keeper for you. Although if the deadline for everyone ended, and he selected a keeper for you but still allowed other people to make a keeper choice who had not yet made their final decisions then you might have a problem.

If a deadline was set for keepers, then it's on you.

How else did you think the keepers would be determined if people didn't make the deadline?

I had this happen in a keeper league this season, i sent at least 5 emails in the weeks leading to the deadline, still someone had an extra player on their team and i used my judgement to make their drop to meet the deadline.

The only thing i fault your commish for is he should have consulted the other co-commish and made the decision with him. I would bring that up on your behalf, can't believe he would have the FF IQ to give you Porter over Brown though :D

Edited by theeohiostate

But if he had time to send me an email, couldn't he give me a call before he did it. I mean what if I didn't drop anyone because I couldn't get to my PC in time

How much do you pay this guy? Answer - probably nothing. Why should he go out of his way to bend the rules for you? As for the "get to the PC in time" - didn't you say you have been mulling this over for weeks? I commish a league too and I have no time for those that can't follow simple instructions or read rules. Sorry.

Now THAT would be wrong.

That is my problem. I understand that it was my fault for not confirming that I dropped Porter. I never questioned that. But I have two problems with how it was handled:

1 - Since all keepers were due at 5PM yesterday, why were some owners allowed to send their keepers in

after the deadline but the commish decided to pick my last keeper for me? At 7:31 PM there were two

teams that needed to cut one player each and one team that had yet to cut anyone. Why were they

allowed to choose their keepers after the deadline but my decision was made for me.

2 - Why would he pick Brown to drop out of my remaining roster? Like someone said, why not pick

Alexander?

We do not pay anyone to commish anything, but they volunteered to do this. I am co-commish in one league and if there is an important situation with deadlines involved I always call the people involved because I know there are delays with email responses. It is just as easy to call someone as it is to email, plus you usually get an immediate respone.

I know this is only Chris Brown vs. Jerry Porter and I don't want to make a hugh deal of this. My concern is the way the decision was made and the fact that some teams were given extensions but I was not. I don't like the precedent this sets for future decisions.

But if he had time to send me an email, couldn't he give me a call before he did it. I mean what if I didn't drop anyone because I couldn't get to my PC in time?

Uh, haven't you had about 7 months to make this decision?

Another guy trying to be cute with the deadline.

If your decision was down to Porter and Brown, how in the heck did it take you 7 months to decide?

Your own fault here, chum. :D

While ultimately that may be the case, I think the commish has a responsibility to keep the guy he feels is the better player. In this case IMO, it was Brown and not Porter. It's a judgement call so the gray area is large. I can see both sides of the arguement.

Heck. Drop both if need be...

Edited by TDFFFreak

But if he had time to send me an email, couldn't he give me a call before he did it. I mean what if I didn't drop anyone because I couldn't get to my PC in time? Would he just choose all my keepers for me without calling? I think that decision was bush-league. Hopefully the other commish allows me to keep Brown instead. It's not like I was purposely holding off putting in my keepers for some reason. I just forgot to drop the one guy.

How could you possibly not have enough time to get to a PC by the deadline. Every deadline in any FF league is declared well before the actual date. You screwed up, time to eat your lumps on this one.

However, you should actually just lose the ability to keep that 8th guy. He shouldn't be the one picking it for you. So IMHO you should feel lucky to have anyone in that 8th spot.