[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ben Roethlisberger is having surgery right now.

Skippy

I have no link. It was just mentioned real quick on local news. They said he will be out for at least the next game. More to come when they tell us more.

Edit to add that they said he had an emergency appendectomy and all went well. He is out for at least one week.

Suger = Surgery. Big John can fix it as I don't know how.

Edited by Skippy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mark down 3 weeks from today when he can do stuff again, like jog, add another 2-3 to get back into NFL ready.......

I agree....I had the same thing done...granted I was 14, but I couldnt even do anything active for about a month or so....granted he is a world class athlete, but the cut on his abdoment is going to need time to recover...

I FEEL YOUR PAIN, BIG BEN, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!

I'm mad about this, I wanted to play PITT with their full arsenal Thursday night.

Same... it sort of makes the only opening Thursday game a waste. I'm more surprised the NFL didn't set up the Giants vs. Colts game for Thursday instead of the less exciting (and now, very much so less exciting) game to be played. I'm bummed :D

Edited by TheGrunt

I agree....I had the same thing done...granted I was 14, but I couldnt even do anything active for about a month or so....granted he is a world class athlete, but the cut on his abdoment is going to need time to recover...

I FEEL YOUR PAIN, BIG BEN, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!

Not sure how long ago you had your appendectomy, but my brother-in-law had his out about 6 months ago and they did it with scopes and only had 2 stitches to close 2 cuts. Everything was sucked out through a tube and he was back to playing basketball within 2 weeks. Just thought I'd put that 2 cents out there...

Much depends on how they did the surgery. Since it was an emergency surgery, I wonder if they could even have done it with a scope? If his appendix burst, I'd bet they did the surgery old-style. Total guess on my part obviously.

True if it was a burst appendix, then the recovery time is much longer. My father-in-law almost died from his burst appendectomy, although the doctors originally thought he had something like Hepatitus at first. What is odd, he had a car wreck about 3 or 4 days prior to his appendix rupturing, and I find that a lot of football players have to have their appendix out as well. Seems to me that there is a bit of correllation between the two.

As a side note, father-in-law spent 3 months in the hospital and was given only a 10% chance to make it at one point. They had opened his abdomen up from the bottom left to the upper right side, about an 18 inch incision. After surgery, the team stapled him back up and sent him to ICU. Then when his temperature spiked to 105, they recalled the surgeon who came in and saw that he had been stapled shut. Without warning or putting him to sleep, he reached into his incision and ripped him back open, while he was awake. I've never seen anything like it before or since. The surgeon just replied that he would die if we didn't let the cavity breathe. They ran icewater in his IV and packed him into ice to control his temperature and he finally made it through. So in summation, don't mess with an appendicitis (sp?) attack, it can be very nasty.

So in summation, don't mess with an appendicitis (sp?) attack, it can be very nasty.

I had one in 2002 and I had to stay in the hospital for 3 weeks because of complications. However, in the case of Big Ben, it looks like it was diagnosed very early.

It took me about a week to recover from the operation.

My guess is that Big Ben will be questionnable for week 2 but I would not be surprise if he plays. At worst, he'll be back on week 3.

Montreal's Goaltender Patrick Roy came down with appendicitis during the playoffs once and he missed only one game...

Wow... This guy just wasnt meant to play against the dolphins this week.

I was trying to figure out if I should start Ward this week, as he's questionable as well... Im starting to think that the steelers are in for a very long year.

Its the Super Bowl loser's curse.... karma knows :D

Edited by NoSupe4You

Not sure how long ago you had your appendectomy, but my brother-in-law had his out about 6 months ago and they did it with scopes and only had 2 stitches to close 2 cuts. Everything was sucked out through a tube and he was back to playing basketball within 2 weeks. Just thought I'd put that 2 cents out there...

Really?? My appendectomy was about 15 years ago, so that is good news! Maybe he wont be out as long! :D

Same... it sort of makes the only opening Thursday game a waste. I'm more surprised the NFL didn't set up the Giants vs. Colts game for Thursday instead of the less exciting (and now, very much so less exciting) game to be played. I'm bummed :D

I thought they made it some sort of tradition that the first game on the first Thursday is hosted by the Super Bowl winner of the year before? Didnt they start that a few years back?

Should the Steelers still show up ? :D You act like this means the Steelers have no chance Thursday. This definitelyh hurts their chances, but, I wouldn't hand this game to the Dolphins, as the Steelers have a pretty strong defense and running game, and there are worse backup QB's than Charlie Batch, who went 2-0 in Ben's absence last year.

Menudo is on on the ledge..... I say .... JUMP! :D Charlie Batch, eh? :D Shoulda kept Randle El! Or maybe Testaverde is available! :lol: Big Ben.... maybe he should consider a new career... as a clock.

Coming from the touchiest guy on the site, this is quite brutal isn't it ?

If I were you, this would have been my response. Telling me to jump off a ledge, you know suicide is a major problem in this country, and I really don't appreciate your making light of it. Sorry if I don't have a sense of humor, but, I find this kind of comment dangerous and completely irresposible.

:lol:

Edited by Menudo