[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ben Roethlisberger is having surgery right now.

Skippy

True if it was a burst appendix, then the recovery time is much longer. My father-in-law almost died from his burst appendectomy, although the doctors originally thought he had something like Hepatitus at first. What is odd, he had a car wreck about 3 or 4 days prior to his appendix rupturing, and I find that a lot of football players have to have their appendix out as well. Seems to me that there is a bit of correllation between the two.

As a side note, father-in-law spent 3 months in the hospital and was given only a 10% chance to make it at one point. They had opened his abdomen up from the bottom left to the upper right side, about an 18 inch incision. After surgery, the team stapled him back up and sent him to ICU. Then when his temperature spiked to 105, they recalled the surgeon who came in and saw that he had been stapled shut. Without warning or putting him to sleep, he reached into his incision and ripped him back open, while he was awake. I've never seen anything like it before or since. The surgeon just replied that he would die if we didn't let the cavity breathe. They ran icewater in his IV and packed him into ice to control his temperature and he finally made it through. So in summation, don't mess with an appendicitis (sp?) attack, it can be very nasty.

Wow! Thats crazy! I knew that an burst appendix was alot worse (mine was close but did not rupture), but never knew that type of stuff could happen. All I know is it was one of the most painful experiences of my life. I woke up with like a 104 temp, and woke up to teh nurse and my mom throwing ice all over me. But in all, it sounds like I got off easy!

Also, I notice you said both your brother in law and father in law had an appendix attack. Is this something that is passed on to children? I'm just thinking if this is something I need to watch out for in my kids...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Much depends on how they did the surgery. Since it was an emergency surgery, I wonder if they could even have done it with a scope? If his appendix burst, I'd bet they did the surgery old-style. Total guess on my part obviously.

I think if the appendix burst, we would know it...at least I am hoping...

Should the Steelers still show up ? :D You act like this means the Steelers have no chance Thursday. This definitelyh hurts their chances, but, I wouldn't hand this game to the Dolphins, as the Steelers have a pretty strong defense and running game, and there are worse backup QB's than Charlie Batch, who went 2-0 in Ben's absence last year.

There may be worse backups, but Batch is their only backup. Pittsburg only kept 2 QBs, even with Jacobs on the practice squad, that is mighty thin.

There may be worse backups, but Batch is their only backup. Pittsburg only kept 2 QBs, even with Jacobs on the practice squad, that is mighty thin.

VERY, VERY true. That is my biggest concern if Ben misses any significant time. Word is that the Steelers will bring in a veteran QB. Hate to say it, but, it will probably be Tommy Maddox for this game, because he is the only one that knows the offense well enough to come in immediately. Is Brian St. Pierre on anyone's roster..... :D It doesn't seem that Cowher is confident enough in Omar Jacobs, who was signed to the practice squad to serve as the backup yet.

Edited by Menudo

Coming from the touchiest guy on the site, this is quite brutal isn't it ?

If I were you, this would have been my response. Telling me to jump off a ledge, you know suicide is a major problem in this country, and I really don't appreciate your making light of it. Sorry if I don't have a sense of humor, but, I find this kind of comment dangerous and completely irresposible.

:D

I'm seeing a third place finish in the division behind the Bengals and Ravens, with or without Ben missing any time.

Lets get a frame of refernce with your predictions regarding the Steelers......

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&s...dpost&p=1276934

Don't be hypocritical! Some of us just feel the opposite you do and are expressing that belief in the same manner you express yours. Why are we wrong and you right?

Steelers have had all the luck a team could possibly have and their lucky run will end this weekend. Honestly they wouldn't have beaten a Palmer lead Bengals team or a prepared Colts team.

As far as hammering huddlers that don't have their teams still in the playoffs, what in the *** does that have to do with anything, is everyone to be silent because of this

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&s...dpost&p=1270254

are odds of collecting the money are about as good as the ones Pittsburg has against the Broncos this weekend

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&s...dpost&p=1267528

I'll be rooting for Denver, but they won't need my chants, they'll win hands down by 14+

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&s...dpost&p=1255664

For all you who think Pitt can beat the Colts

:D:lol::lol:

:brew::woot:

:brow:

:D Keep the dream alive!

I think the steelers will be fine, They have a good defense and a solid running game. I always though Roethlisberger was overrated anyways he doesnt do a whole lot. I had the Dolphins winning this game originally so im sticking with it.

and I still see the Steelers finishing at 8-8 and missing the playoffs.

you can never count the steelers out with their defense even though most of you want to. that defense has carried them through games time and time again. nobody even knows how culpepper will play. a few preseason games will not predict his play vs a very good defensive scheme. he wont see those vanilla defenses this week you can count on that. its going to be harder to win now, but the steelers are still very well capable of doing it.

Same... it sort of makes the only opening Thursday game a waste. I'm more surprised the NFL didn't set up the Giants vs. Colts game for Thursday instead of the less exciting (and now, very much so less exciting) game to be played. I'm bummed :D

Denver plays in Pittsburgh this year. Why the NFL did not schedule a rematch from the AFC title game makes no sense. Miami sat home during the playoffs last year. I was disappointed in the matchup as soon as they announced it.

It has been said many times before, the Steelers are not the same team without Ben. Hurry back, oh fragile one!

Coming from the touchiest guy on the site, this is quite brutal isn't it ?

If I were you, this would have been my response. Telling me to jump off a ledge, you know suicide is a major problem in this country, and I really don't appreciate your making light of it. Sorry if I don't have a sense of humor, but, I find this kind of comment dangerous and completely irresposible.

Hit a nerve, eh?

Hit a nerve, eh?

I really take offense to this. With all of the people dealing with nerve damage in the word, the fact that you would be so insensitive shocks me. I simply don't find this kind of thing funny.

It looks like he is going to miss the next two games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06247/718946-66.stm

Appendicitis sidelines Big Ben

Minimally invasive surgery expected to cause him to miss two games

Monday, September 04, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger's tour of city hospital beds continued yesterday, only this time with much less trauma. The Steelers' starting quarterback had an emergency laparoscopic appendectomy at UPMC Presbyterian. He will miss Thursday's season opener and probably the second game of the season.

"He's cursed," declared teammate Brett Keisel.

The surgery was his second in less than three months, coming after he recovered from a near-fatal motorcycle accident on Second Avenue near the Armstrong Tunnel on June 12 in time to play in the preseason games. Doctors at Mercy Hospital had repaired a broken jaw, nose and orbital bone. He also had knee surgery last November.

"All he did to come back," said guard Alan Faneca, shaking his head. "He's had a busy offseason and preseason."

Backup Charlie Batch will start against the Miami Dolphins Thursday in Heinz Field, a gala nationally televised kickoff to the NFL season that already carries a pall around it because of the late Mayor Bob O'Connor's funeral that morning. Team officials were scouring their ready lists to sign another quarterback, temporarily, while Roethlisberger heals. Former backup Brian St. Pierre, released by the Steelers after training camp in 2005, was high on their list.

"That's the situation we're being dealt ...," said coach Bill Cowher after players filed quietly off the practice field last evening. "We're not asking for any pity and we're not going to make any excuses."

The Steelers went 2-2 without Roethlisberger last season, when he missed four games with two knee injuries. Batch was 2-0 as his replacement. The two quarterbacks attended the Pitt-Virginia game together Saturday night and Batch said he noticed nothing wrong with Roethlisberger.

But Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl, felt ill yesterday morning after he reported to the Steelers' UPMC facility on the South Side and he was sent to Dr. Anthony Yates, the team internist.

"It's one of those deals you never really know what can happen at any given time," Batch said. "That's why you have to be ready, and this is prime example of it now."

There was a palpable downcast mood around the Steelers when they learned about Roethlisberger's latest run of bad luck. Perhaps it had much to do with how he overcame his June accident, that he played and practiced so well this summer and that the team felt strongly about its chances to defend the Super Bowl championship starting Thursday.

"We'll rally behind Charlie and everybody else will do so as well," Cowher said. "It's a situation that can happen to any football team. On any one day you go out there and have a starter go down, whether it's an ankle, hitting your hand on a helmet, that's the nature of this business.

"Adversity to me is not what knocks you down, it's how you handle it, how you respond to it. This football team has been down this road before, facing challenges and adversity."

In laparoscopic surgery no large incision is made. Instead, several tiny incisions are made to insert a scope and instruments. Such operations can greatly reduce the patient's recovery time.

In most cases the appendectomy can be completed within 20 to 30 minutes.

The patient has no physical restrictions and is expected to walk at least one to two miles per day.

Four years ago, receiver Hines Ward had the same surgery the day before the third preseason game. He missed the final two preseason games but started in the regular-season opener of 2002.

"It took me 5-7 days just to get walking around again and feeling kind of normal," said Ward, who caught eight passes, one for a touchdown, in his first game back.

The Steelers play their second game at Jacksonville Sept. 18, a Monday night. They return to Heinz Field Sept. 24 for an early AFC North showdown against defending division champion Cincinnati. That third game is the most likely target for Roethlisberger's return.

Batch, a Homestead native, has started 48 games in eight NFL seasons, the first four in Detroit.

"I feel good about Charlie," Cowher said. "I feel good about our football team, honestly. Certainly it's a challenge when you lose your starting quarterback. ... The good news about it, it's not anything that's going to be long-term. It's going to be short-term."

Said Faneca, "He's going to be missed. You start there and you say OK, you know we're going to move forward without him. The team must move on."

:D The Ravens cut him yesterday.

Looks like I was right again..... :D

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06247/718962-66.stm

Steelers Notebook: St. Pierre could be returning

Monday, September 04, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quarterback Brian St. Pierre, who refused the Steelers' offer in the middle of last season to instead stay on Baltimore's practice squad, may agree to join them today.

St. Pierre was released by Baltimore last week. The Steelers talked to his agent yesterday after they learned that starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will miss one and probably two games after having an appendectomy yesterday.

"We have some people coming in," coach Bill Cowher said. "But I've been in this business long enough not to name the name because I've seen crazier things happen."

Charlie Batch will start while Roethlisberger recuperates. The team also signed rookie quarterback Omar Jacobs to the practice squad after releasing him Saturday.

"We're looking at all our options," Cowher said. "I don't want to elaborate at this point."

Shane Boyd, cut by the Steelers Friday, also is an option.

Because St. Pierre has less than four years vested as a pro, the Steelers could sign him to a contract and keep him for a few weeks without being obliged to pay him for a full season.

The Steelers drafted him in 2003 from Boston College, and he spent the season as the third quarterback. St. Pierre split time between the regular roster and practice squads in 2004, and was not happy about it. After the Steelers cut him before the 2005 season, he signed with Baltimore as a practice squad player.

He felt he had a better future with the Ravens, part of the reason he refused the Steelers' efforts to re-sign him to their regular roster when Roethlisberger recuperated from knee surgery in November.