[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Danny Clark to the Saints?

rajncajn

From one of the Mods at SaintsReport.com....

If this doesn't 'officially' happen soon I'm going to blow a freaking gasket. :D

Originally posted by AARPSaint

FURTHER CLARIFICATION AS OF 7:00CDT Tuesday

There were three separate threads on this topic yesterday, so I merged them. We have others who heard the broadcast as well, and there is no doubt in my mind about what the broadcast said (see Scott Balot's post above--not one of the original posters who posted after they heard the broadcast). When I merged them, there was nothing on nfl.com, neworleanssaints.com, or kffl.com about the Saints signing him. I haven't checked this morning and won't have time to do that. As others have confirmed, Clark was indeed released. All of this led me to add the word "reportedly" to the thread title.

I think that this will happen. Somewhere, I read that his agent had been informed of the move but that Clark himself had not. That seems peculiar to me. Nonetheless, from what those who heard the broadcast reported, it appears that Kenny Wilkerson reported this--and, assuming he really does have inside information, we can expect something official soon.

FWIW, it's all over the nola board as well. Either someone there heard the broadcast, or they got it from us. When I couldn't get on this board last night, I desperately went over there to see if anyone had heard the same thing.

Seems like there would be more fanfare if it was true...but I have to consider the source which is normally very accurate.

Saints make more roster moves

Gus Kattengell / WWL Sports Reporter

9-5-06

Posted 10:36 am

The Saints continue to shuffle up the roster as the team has made a couple of moves. WWL’s Kenny Wilkerson has learned that the team has signed linebacker Danny Clark and released safety Jay Bellamy to make room on the roster. Clark has spent the past two seasons with the Oakland Raiders, the previous three with Jacksonville. Clark while with the Raiders had over 100 tackles but was a recent cut.

Bellamy has spent the past five seasons with the Saints, starting all 16-games for four of those years. An Injury limited him to just three games last season.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS SIGN FREE AGENT LB DANNY CLARK

Club also signs P Steve Weatherford, places P Mitch Berger on IR

For Immediate Release: Sept. 5, 2006

The New Orleans Saints have signed LB Danny Clark, it was announced by the club today. The veteran free agent led the Oakland Raiders in tackles in each of the last two seasons at inside linebacker, a stretch where he posted 242 tackles and three sacks. Entering his seventh season, Clark has also recorded five forced fumbles and an interception in his career.

“This was another opportunity to improve our roster,” said Executive Vice President/General Manager Mickey Loomis. “Danny has been a productive player and has a wealth of starting experience. He’s a veteran who won’t need a lot of time to become a contributor for our team.”

The Saints have also signed P Steve Weatherford and placed P Mitch Berger on Injured Reserve. Weatherford, a free agent rookie out of Illinois, ranked sixth in the NFC in the preseason with a 46.7-yard average. In an additional move, the club has signed T Ben Archibald to the Practice Squad.

Clark (6-2, 245) has played for the Raiders for the last two years. In 2005 he started 15 of 16 games and had 113 stops (82 solo) and a sack, with a career-high seven pass defenses. Clark was voted the defensive co-captain by his teammates entering last season and led or tied for the club lead in tackles in six contests.

In 2004 he had a career-best 129 tackles (98 solo), five pass defenses, a pair of sacks and a forced fumble. He led the Raiders in stops eight times and also was a key contributor on special teams.

Clark signed with Oakland as an Unconditional Free Agent in 2004 after a four-year stint with Jacksonville. Originally drafted by the Jaguars in 2000 in the seventh round out of Illinois, Clark started 28 of 61 games while with Jacksonville, including all 16 in 2002. That season he posted 91 tackles (69 solo) a pair of sacks and an interception.

To make room for Clark, the Saints released S Jay Bellamy.

“Jay is the consummate professional,” said Coach Sean Payton. “He’s been an extremely productive player and a leader both on and off the field. We got caught in a situation where we had several promising players at safety who have to play and gain experience.”

Bellamy started all 67 games he played with the Saints since coming to the club in 2001. He led the Saints in tackles in 2003 and 2004 and posted nine interceptions, 4.5 sacks, six forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries.

“We signed Jay as a free agent and he’s been one of our top players since,” said Loomis. “He always answered the call and had a key role in our defense whether playing strong or free safety. We felt like the best opportunity for him to sign with another NFL team was to make this move now.”

The Saints roster stands at 53 players.

Was just emailed this from someone within the Saints organization.

Edited by myhousekey

Congrats...I'm sad to see him go. Although Morrision is the real deal, Clarke was easily our 2nd best LB....just lost out at MLB to a younger player. Hope he does well in NO.

Thanks S&B. He may have been 2nd best in Oakland, but he's quite an upgrade for us. From being an IDPer I know he's a pretty good LB, but it's also great to find out he's a pretty classy guy as well. :D