[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

From The CrockPot-Week 1

PantherDave

Well another season is upon us and it's time to lace'em back-up(our cooking aprons that is), so, I welcome all to the Week 1 Edition of "From The CrockPot"-this week, Beef, it's what's for dinner.

Brisket in Ale

Flavorful gravy is the finishing touch to this slow-cooked tender meat. If you have leftovers, shred the meat for sammiches the following day.

Prep-25 minutes

Cook-Low 10 hours/High 5 hours

Makes-10 servings

CP-3 1/2 to 6 qt

1-3 to 4 lb fresh Beef Brisket

2-medium onions, thinly sliced and seperated into rings

1-bay leaf

1-12 oz can of beer(drink the other 5 or 11)

1/4 cup chili sauce

2-tablespoons brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1-clove garlic, minced

2-tablespoons cornstarch

2-tablespoons cold water

Step1-Trim fat from Brisket. If necessary, cut Brisket to fit into cooker. In a 3 1/2 to 6 qt slow cooker place onions, bay leaf, and Brisket. In a medium bowl combine beer, chili sauce, brown sugar,thyme, salt and pepper, and garlic; pour over Brisket. Cover; cook on low setting 10-12 hours or on high setting for 5-6 hours.

Step2-Transfer Brisket and onions to a platter using a slotted spoon; keep warm(cover with foil). Discard bay leaf. For gravy, skim fat from cooking liquid. Measure 2 1/2 cups liquid; discard reaming liquid(or keep if more gravy needed). In a medium saucepan stir together the cornstarch and water; stir in the cooking liquid. Cook and stir until thickeded and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Pass gravy with meat.

Now some Football-I like the Lions to open with a win at home vs the SeaHawks

Lions 26

SeaHawks 24

Well that's the dish for this week, I'll be doing this one myself on Sunday. Good Luck on the Homer Front and FF wise!! Bon Appetite-Peace PD.

Ok, I can be a little slow sometimes. What does "pass gravy with meat" mean? Is this a new cooking term I haven't heard before? Or do I just pass a bowl of gravy over a platter of meat?

Ok, I can be a little slow sometimes. What does "pass gravy with meat" mean? Is this a new cooking term I haven't heard before? Or do I just pass a bowl of gravy over a platter of meat?

there is a term.... "passing" soups or sauces, which means to strain through a chinois or china cap (sieves).

not sure what PD is referring to... maybe just "serve with"

Edited by Bier Meister

Man, tough crowd here for Week 1, but it's just pass it along with the meat so as you get your brisket, you can then get your gravy...pass it along around the table with the meat.

Edited by PantherDave

I'm going to cruise the store when I go for the ingredients, but I was hoping you might know. Is there a "chili sauce" ? There is the stuff in a can called "chili sauce" for hotdogs.

there are so many types out there (as evidenced by stores that only sell hot sauces).

..... i just re-read the recipe to see what they might have had in mind. there is a type in a can that almost resembles catsup... is that what you were thinking? if not..... i am wondering if for this sauce/gravy it might be an optional ingredient (unless they are looking for a little tomato base for it).....

go to the store... see what they have. with difference spices/herbs, i might have suggested some type of fruity hot sauce (ie: mango habenero).

also, for your thickening agent (in this case a slurry), you will want cold water with the cornstarch. in general, when thickening a sauce or soup you want to either add cold roux or slurry to hot sauce/soup, or vice versa.

for those doing this recipe i'd suggest doing it at the low heat for a longer period of time. it will be more tender and absorb more flavors.

:D

Heinz Chili Sauce. You can find it alongside the catsup in a glass bottle.

When you say brisket...you don't mean corned beef I'm assuming. You're referring to the cut 'brisket', yes? I never see that in the store around here. Just the corned beef.

Yes, just the regular Brisket.

We're doing a layered italian pizza in a croc-pot for Sunday!

Ground Beef and Italian Sausage

Rigatoni Noodles

Shredded Mozzarella and Cheddar

Garlic and Basil

Tomato Sauce

Freakin awesome!!! :D

okay this sounds great but being a crock noob, I have no idea where to start with something like this...little help? TIA

okay this sounds great but being a crock noob, I have no idea where to start with something like this...little help? TIA

Brown the beef and the sausage together along with a chopped onion (add salt and pepper here).

Boil the Rigatoni pasta while your browning the meat (10 minutes in boiling water, then drain).

I like to slice the garlic fresh, but you can use some pre-chopped garlic from the grocery store to save time.

I also like fresh basil... you can use dried basil spice, but fresh basil leaves are hard to beat.

Layer the ingredients in the croc-pot.

Beef/Sausage

Garlic/Basil

Rigatoni

Tomato Sauce (I use a spicy pizza sauce)

Pepperoni

Mozzarella/Cheddar Cheese

Repeat Layers

(You of course can also add mushrooms or olives, etc. as you prefer)

Cook on low for a good 6 to 8 hours or so.

Edited by Savage Beatings

I got the Heinz Chili sauce and a can of hot dog chile sauce, I'm going to combine the two and whisk them together for the required "chili sauce". Momma PD thought since CP cooking is at it's core-simplistic, she did not believe it would be any type of "gourmet" chili sauce. Got a six'er of Sierra Pale Ale for the required 12 oz. Mrs. PD is going to do creamed potatoes, steamed cabbage wedges and yeast rolls with it, plus we have some "Hot House" backyard grown tomato's that I'll slice up as well. There is nothing like NFL Sunday's with the aroma of the CP wafting around the house all day :D .

Thanks for the recipe Dave. We're going to try it ourselves here too with a couple minor exclusions. Also I couldn't find anything called a "brisket" at the grocery store so went with a 3 lb beef roast. Looking forward to it along with some Yukon Gold potatoes and maybe some brocolli/caulifower or green beens on the side.

Sweet-let me know how yours turns out, I'm going to put mine on at 8 am.

well, if it tastes anything like it smells, it ius going to be delicious. All night long I could smell the aromas from the crock-pot wafting into the bedroom. It made me hungry.

I just checked on it and the meat seems to be almost falling apart. I put the crock-pot on "keep warm" and will probably not actually start eating it for another 6 hours. I hope the extra cooking time doesn't screw it up. (But I doubt that it will.)

HOT DAMN!! It's my favorite time of the year and my favorite thread and my favorite CP cooker (PD :D ).

:singingheavenI'minheaven:

My only question....Lions to win? Mustn't drink the other 11 bears before making CP predictions. :D