[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is going on here

theeohiostate

Is the rule the coach has to throw the flag in front of the ref, or onto the field? This junior high stuff is ridiculous. Is this pro football or duck duck goose?

Saban threw the flag on the field before the kick. Period.

Are you this stupid? No one at all invoved in the telecast has said that the ref did something wrong. Period.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you this stupid? No one at all invoved in the telecast has said that the ref did something wrong. Period.

I dont take my cues from announcers, dipAthena. I guess cause Joe Theisman says something you believe it is so? Who cares what the announcers say? The refs blew two calls. Period.

I have no dog in this fight except Ronnie Brown and he came through. I would just like the dam league to get on the ball with the officiating.

I am not saying that it would have changed the outcome, but the refs clearly blew it...or, more accurately, the NFL blew it. I mean, seriously, I'm typing this from a wireless laptop and the NFL is relying on semifore flags to contest its most controversial plays. So, if the ref has his back turned and doesn't notice the red flag at his feet there is no challenge? Can the coach have a flag with BBs in it to throw at the ref...maybe hit him in the eye...wait, that would be ironic, right?

Bottom line: it's stupid to have important plays rest on whether some ref notices a tiny red flag thrown on the field.

I dont take my cues from announcers, dipAthena. I guess cause Joe Theisman says something you believe it is so? Who cares what the announcers say? The refs blew two calls. Period.

I have no dog in this fight except Ronnie Brown and he came through. I would just like the dam league to get on the ball with the officiating.

Yes...you are certainly more knowledgeable than the announcers, the NBC team, and the commissioner of the NFL who was at the game. I am sorry. I defer to the idiot named Skins.

I am not saying that it would have changed the outcome, but the refs clearly blew it...or, more accurately, the NFL blew it. I mean, seriously, I'm typing this from a wireless laptop and the NFL is relying on semifore flags to contest its most controversial plays. So, if the ref has his back turned and doesn't notice the red flag at his feet there is no challenge? Can the coach have a flag with BBs in it to throw at the ref...maybe hit him in the eye...wait, that would be ironic, right?

Bottom line: it's stupid to have important plays rest on whether some ref notices a tiny red flag thrown on the field.

I agree. I'm not defending the refs at all. I was all set to see the ball placed at the 1 or 2 yard line. You would think that one of the other refs would have seen the red flag. Yes, Saban dragged his arss before he threw it, but it still should have been seen by someone. Maybe we need a replay of the red flag being thrown. :D

The refs blew the out of bounds call, but they evidently didn't know this so they had no reason to look for a flag. How did they know the play was reviewable. They need to have an earphone so the guy upstairs can let them know that a red flag could be flying. Should have kept the buzzer. That was a blow call right there.

Yes...you are certainly more knowledgeable than the announcers, the NBC team, and the commissioner of the NFL who was at the game. I am sorry. I defer to the idiot named Skins.

:lol: Yer arguing that that wasnt a blown call?!? I think you might be the biggest idiot who posts here. :D

Yer doing a heckuva job, Zeke, because everyone here who watches and enjoys football understands the simple football reality that escapes yer dum asz.

And good luck arguing that anyone should make their judgments based on what the announcers say. And when did you get Gooden's input on the call, dummy? Just throwing in stuff for fun? :D

Is the rule the coach has to throw the flag in front of the ref, or onto the field? This junior high stuff is ridiculous. Is this pro football or duck duck goose?

redSKins- I agree with ya. My point was that in all the challenge I have seen, there is ALWAYS a ref within shouting distance of the ref just for that purpose. I was shocked b/c usually the refs have an eye on the coaches, or are close where seeing the g damn flag is not a question.

:D week 1- don't even get me started on the effin zebras.....

:lol: Yer arguing that that wasnt a blown call?!? I think you might be the biggest idiot who posts here. :D

Yer doing a heckuva job, Zeke, because everyone here who watches and enjoys football understands the simple football reality that escapes yer dum asz.

And good luck arguing that anyone should make their judgments based on what the announcers say. And when did you get Gooden's input on the call, dummy? Just throwing in stuff for fun? :D

Yes moron...everyone on this site agrees with you on that call. Saban did everything right and has no resposibilty to make the challenge in a timely fashion. I do apologize to you though. I have overlooked the fact that your mommy lets you stay up late and use her computer. For a while I actually thought you might be a teenager, now I am sure you are no more than ten years old. I am still waiting for the first post of yours that you disagree with someone that is not called a name. I guess you are one of those dumb ass little kids we have left behind. Carry on...loser.

Seriously, Cowher would have ran on the field and stuffed in in his pocket or hit him with it. :bash: But, now, the Dolphins fans and Steeler haters have something to :D about.

AND... believe it or not, that is what the rule states. He has the right to run on the field, down the sideline, whatever he heeds to do to get their attention. He threw the flag BEHIND the ref watching his area.

The fault is SABEN's, not anyone elses. You don't like the call, neither do I. BUT, if you are bitching about it now, that is all it is bitching!

And by the way, I faced Miller in one FF game tonight and I ain't cryin'. Neither should you! It was a hell of a play and VERY close without the benefit of rplay and slow motion.

GEEZ :D

Too many :lol::lol::brew::woot::brow::pop::lol::bash:

AND... believe it or not, that is what the rule states. He has the right to run on the field, down the sideline, whatever he heeds to do to get their attention. He threw the flag BEHIND the ref watching his area.

The fault is SABEN's, not anyone elses. You don't like the call, neither do I. BUT, if you are bitching about it now, that is all it is bitching!

And by the way, I faced Miller in one FF game tonight and I ain't cryin'. Neither should you! It was a hell of a play and VERY close without the benefit of rplay and slow motion.

GEEZ :D

Too many :D:lol::lol::brew::woot::brow::pop::lol:

Sorry, it does not matter what the rule states. Our boy Skins says otherwise. He knows all. And as he says, everyone on this site agrees with him.

While that might not have been a great throw, you guys all know he got it out there before the snap.

OK, I've read this far, enough already. Whether it's on the field is not relevant - it has to be seen by the officials, who were all doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing - watching the play.

If Saban couldn't manage to attract the attention of one of the officials with a friggin' big red flag and his own voice, he's a tool. He waited way too long when any fool could see from the live play on TV - NOT the replay - that Miller was out of bounds. His own people upstairs waited way too long and he's a di(k for triple pumping and making a throw a three year old would be ashamed of.

Brah! The Steelers were in their set, ready to start a play. At this point on the field, the refs have the obligation to watch their assignment, NOT the coach, thinking he may or may not challenge a play.

What if the coach doesn't challenge, the play happend, and the ref that was watching the coach for something that might happen misses a call? We are back to the "stupid ref thingy".

I will try to find you a siting, but I know that the rule stated that it is the coaches obligation to make known his challenge of a play before the snap of the ball starting the next play. The coach has the right to scream, run on the field, throw his flag right in the middle of the line-of-scrimmage or do a pole dance if that is what it takes.

I agree, it should have been challenged. Saben's tentative actions were what caused it not to be challenged. The refs, in this limited case, did do their job correctly.

I hate refs and really dislike having to take their side! :D

OK, I've read this far, enough already. Whether it's on the field is not relevant - it has to be seen by the officials, who were all doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing - watching the play.

If Saban couldn't manage to attract the attention of one of the officials with a friggin' big red flag and his own voice, he's a tool. He waited way too long when any fool could see from the live play on TV - NOT the replay - that Miller was out of bounds. His own people upstairs waited way too long and he's a di(k for triple pumping and making a throw a three year old would be ashamed of.

OOOOOPS, sorry! :D

What she said! :lol:

:D

Brah! The Steelers were in their set, ready to start a play. At this point on the field, the refs have the obligation to watch their assignment, NOT the coach, thinking he may or may not challenge a play.

What if the coach doesn't challenge, the play happend, and the ref that was watching the coach for something that might happen misses a call? We are back to the "stupid ref thingy".

Exactly. The onus is on Saban to make the challenge and make sure it's seen, not mince up and down the sideline like someone in need of a piss.

Exactly. The onus is on Saban to make the challenge and make sure it's seen, not mince up and down the sideline like someone in need of a piss.

++++++++11111111111 :lol:

+++++++++++++++11111111111111111111111 :D

I have a very simple solution that could fix this problem - shock collars for the refs, perfect. Tell me there's a fan out there who wouldn't want to see that?

When I saw the play I was convinced that the ref's F'd up royally, but that was before I knew that coaches are allowed to run out onto the field in that instance. My guess is that Saban pins his next challenge flag to the refs chest.

While the refs may have been technicially right, it's amazing to me that none of them took the BRIGHT RED FLAGin the coache's hand after an important play as a clue that they should at least glance at the sideline.

The coach has the right to scream, run on the field, throw his flag right in the middle of the line-of-scrimmage or do a pole dance if that is what it takes.

I think Marinelli has designated his defensive line coach for this role... :D

Maybe the officiating crew was not as negligent in missing Saban's challenge as I had thought, but in the long run the NFL needs to have a more reliable system in place. The existing system making it the coach's responsibility for the challenge to be seen makes it more likely we'll see them running on the field and throwing tantrums and we have too much of that already in pro sports.

Wow, this thing really grew legs overnight.

* We should expect better of our refs. They should have got the play right in the first place. A leg sticking a full 2 feet out of bounds should not be missed.

* Nick Saban should have showed the assertiveness he is known for in the situation and stopped the play from happening through whatever means necessary.

* None of it matterred in the big scheme of things. The people most effected by this were Heath Miller owners - and the people playing against Miller owners are the only ones allowed to continue whining all weekend about it.

Edited by rattsass

We?

What position do you play?

:lol: That weak line is used by people consistently, and it always cracks me up. No, I don't play for the Steelres, but, as a fan, I am part of Steeler's Naton, and WE, the defending Super Bowl Champs, are 1-0.. :D :D :lol:

I started Miller, and I was going nuts because the Steelers weren't rushing to get the kick in. Then I realized, why rush an important extra point (up by 3, will put them up by 4) when a reversal will leave you at the 1 yard line. Meaning, it's not a 50 yd pass where it looks like the ball touched the ground and that reversal will cost you 50 yards plus a touchdown.

Point is, Pittsburgh didn't rush up to the line fearing a reversal, so Saban had plenty of time to challenge. The line was in the set position and the snapper's hands were on the ball when the flag went out, this is all on Saban.

Perhaps he was indecisive :D because the reversal would have put the Steelers at the one yard line, and wouldn't have been as hesitant if it was the 50 borderline catch/drop.

Wow, this thing really grew legs overnight.

* We should expect better of our refs. They should have got the play right in the first place. A leg sticking a full 2 feet out of bounds should not be missed.

* Nick Saban should have showed the assertiveness he is known for in the situation and stopped the play from happening through whatever means necessary.

* None of it matterred in the big scheme of things. The people most effected by this were Heath Miller owners - and the people playing against Miller owners are the only ones allowed to continue whining all weekend about it.

Agree completely on all three points. Well said.

Did anyone see that hands to the face call that bailed PIT out when it was 3rd and 16, and would have been 4th and 16, and PIT would have had to punt out of their own endzone? That call bothers me a lot more than the screw up on the Miller BS TD, because they more than likely would have scored anyway even if the refs got that one right. I think the hands to the face call that bailed them out was much more pivital in the game, as at that time MIA had the momentum, and the lead, and would have been working with a short field.

Speaking of hands to the face, regardless of the legitimacy of the call, why is it a 5 yard penalty with an automatic 1st down. It should be a true personal foul to get a 1st down. I know what the rules state, but this is a situation where I believe the rules need to be revisited. If it is bad enough, call the personal foul, not hands to the face.